things you notice

Old Aug 17th 2014, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: things you notice

Originally Posted by Purrball
Returning to New Zealand for the first time in over 20 years, things that immediately struck me:

• Cicadas - Love them

• Utes - Hate them

• Soft water - we still use water filters

• Unbelievably crappy TV advertising - My favourite was the advert for bovine mastitis- on at peak viewing time.

• Lots of cannabis smokers - Wouldn't know about that one.

• Sparrows inside public buildings - Agreed, which is fine until they cr@p on you.

• Bare feet shoppers - We never do it (though I have driven barefoot - what a rebel!)

• How many Asian people in Auckland compared to the 1980s

• Chain link fences

• Unnervingly quiet town and city centres at night, especially when you're a pedestrian - Not in Courtenay Place!

• Lack of decent pubs with a (generalised) middle-class aversion to even visiting them - Couldn't agree more.

• Calling a goverment department and getting through to a person straight away, with no call waiting or 'choose option 2'. That person then followed up with an email within five minutes. - Unless its IRD in my experience...maybe they didn;t want to give me my rebate!

• How humid Auckland can be

• Corrugated iron roofs - Noisy

• Strange interior decorating choices

• Unsatisfying clothes shopping - We still get M&S, Debenhams stuff sent over.

• Public loos in parks and reserves with toilet paper in them - and invariably very clean

• Over-friendly supermarket checkout people* - I like someone packing my bags for me!

Also, on the trust issue, two incidents come to mind:

• Waiting at a bus stop in Wadestown, within minutes, being offered a lift by a complete stranger back into town.

• Office premises leaving their front doors open for anyone to walk upstairs and inside. Few door buzzers/intercoms.

*Originally coming New Zealand, it's easy to now see how many British people appear standoffish, when I think it's more about privacy and initial reserve, rather than rudeness per se.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 12:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

You can refer to your GP on first name terms when you phone to make an appointment or turn up at the reception ....... it still seems a bit wrong.
Old Aug 19th 2014, 11:40 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

The Man in the Moon does not shine here.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

Some very bizarre decorating choices, sort of mixture of eighties/ colour blind/what they had left/what was cheap but looked shiny..

Infomercials

Massively staged houses for sale- tiny beds and no furniture

Excitement and wonder at the concept of UPVC windows...futuristic!

Top loading washing machines....why?

Bus drivers not sat behind sealed bullet proof security screens

Outrageously expensive taxis but cheaper fuel?

Wider selection of decent foods in supermarkets, things like healthy foods/ gluten free/etc

Crazy Chinese driving. Outside lane to suddenly turn left!

The never ending sales or "specials"
Old Aug 20th 2014, 7:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

How small it is. Everyone seems related or knows each other
Old Aug 20th 2014, 8:01 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
You can refer to your GP on first name terms when you phone to make an appointment or turn up at the reception ....... it still seems a bit wrong.

Did that in England
Old Aug 20th 2014, 10:34 am
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute

Being able to get GP appointments on the day!

Being able to get dental appointments on the day I want at the time I want.

That I've now become aculturated and now say 'on special' instead of 'on offer'

Orion is upside down. I see him in the sky and turn my head to look.

People CANNOT tell when I am joking.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 9:26 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

lots of roads only have pathways on one side of the road. and pathways just Stop for no apparent reason and you are left thinking where the hell do I go now.
Old Aug 20th 2014, 11:35 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

No daffodils flowering in the garden on St David's day
Old Aug 21st 2014, 12:35 am
Forum Regular

Polly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to beholdPolly 3 is a splendid one to behold

Mums dropping their children off to school or kindy and wearing slippers and PJ pants, so funny when the child forgets something in the car and the mum races in to drop it off and gets caught!
Old Aug 21st 2014, 1:36 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Had to take my son to A&E yesterday, the Dr said, ' Hi I'm the doctor, Sean' err 'Hello Sean' I said
Old Aug 21st 2014, 1:38 am
BE Enthusiast

dfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond reputedfjordan has a reputation beyond repute

no "15% gratuity has been included for your convenience" on the restaurant bill.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 1:40 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by moonie2011
........ ' Hi I'm the doctor, Sean' err 'Hello Sean' I said
Did you think his Mum should have called him something other than Sean then?
Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It's so easy to get an appointment at the Docs, cos nobody can afford to go there unless they can claim it on ACC or they're nearly dead.

Shocker of the week for me was in trying to make an appointment for a 'routine' screening of the lady kind and being told I first needed to see the Doctor first to get permission; $46 kerching ta very much ma'am.

Two days later the test is done; another $33 kerching.
Old Aug 21st 2014, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Shocker of the week for me was in trying to make an appointment for a 'routine' screening of the lady kind and being told I first needed to see the Doctor first to get permission; $46 kerching ta very much ma'am. Two days later the test is done; another $33 kerching.
Next time check out your local family planning clinic just $20 - that is the price for the clinic in Newmarket, Auckland so it may be cheaper elsewhere! You cannot just show up and you have to book but it is much cheaper than your GP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.