Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things you Love about NZ

Things you Love about NZ

Old Aug 11th 2011, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Luckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Things you Love about NZ

Originally Posted by old dragon
You're a bit of a plonker - everything is safe and officially checked and we've built an ocean going boat before, by hand.

I was making a tongue in cheek remark and not taking you too seriously given the nature of the thread.

Some things over here are very expensive, other things aren't. With a bit of hard work, some imagination and enough patience to live with boat parts in the house for months - you can achieve the dream without having to remortgage your soul.

Get over yourself with the throwing the kids comment, no wonder your so unhappy if you take everything so seriously.

PS, I was going to give you the short answer, but it's a nice thread and the mods are watching - oh and from your opening line - it sounds like you're the precious one not your children
Old Dragon
Old Aug 11th 2011, 11:45 am
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point

You're a bit of a plonker - everything is safe and officially checked and we've built an ocean going boat before, by hand.

I was making a tongue in cheek remark and not taking you too seriously given the nature of the thread.

Some things over here are very expensive, other things aren't. With a bit of hard work, some imagination and enough patience to live with boat parts in the house for months - you can achieve the dream without having to remortgage your soul.

Get over yourself with the throwing the kids comment, no wonder your so unhappy if you take everything so seriously.

PS, I was going to give you the short answer, but it's a nice thread and the mods are watching - oh and from your opening line - it sounds like you're the precious one not your children
Spoken like a true Kiwi. There has been time enough, so I will let Winston be my conveyor:

Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea."
Churchill: "Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

Au revoir.
Old Aug 11th 2011, 12:13 pm
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scousebird
Cheeky sod!!
That was spoken as someone who has been a vegetarian for 30 years!
Old Aug 11th 2011, 7:27 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
I like Wellington really.
HOLD THE FRONT PAGE! CC, I'm going to be reminding you of this post

Did we lose billingham?
Old Aug 11th 2011, 8:31 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
Did we lose billingham?
They didn't want to play anymore ...
Old Aug 12th 2011, 5:14 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
no not being ironic........ if in a restaurant where nothing obvious on the menu, the chef will usually accomodate and be inventive. If something is on the menu, it's usually something quite interesting that I would maybe not have thought of, and I have been veggie 35 years. Chinese Indian and Thai usually have significant veggie menu sections. Better options than the UK, generally, IMHO

Jan
I totally agree. Initially I thought it was just Wellington, but everywhere not a lot admittedly) has been great.

So my list:

the availability of vegan food, not just veggie, and the fact people know what vegan is (often in the UK I'd get 'oh, so you want chicken then?')

We can afford to buy a 4 bedroom house (had a 2 bed flat in the UK)

flat whites - and the fact everywhere has soy milk. In fact the coffee in general is pretty great.

I actually get thanked at work when I do a good job.

Cicadas - I didn't expect them and so when they started making their noises in summer it was such a lovely surprise!

The sound of tui birds outside our window - I love their 'donk donk' noises!

Looking out over the ocean and mountains as I walk to work always makes me grin and pinch myself that I'm really here.

How friendly most people are. We have made some great friends here (been here nearly 18months) who are better friends than we made in our whole 6 years living in London.

Growing our own veggies.

Being able to drive to ski fields.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 5:21 am
Forum Regular

charlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nice

Originally Posted by shelloid
I totally agree. Initially I thought it was just Wellington, but everywhere not a lot admittedly) has been great.

So my list:

the availability of vegan food, not just veggie, and the fact people know what vegan is (often in the UK I'd get 'oh, so you want chicken then?')

We can afford to buy a 4 bedroom house (had a 2 bed flat in the UK)

flat whites - and the fact everywhere has soy milk. In fact the coffee in general is pretty great.

I actually get thanked at work when I do a good job.

Cicadas - I didn't expect them and so when they started making their noises in summer it was such a lovely surprise!

The sound of tui birds outside our window - I love their 'donk donk' noises!

Looking out over the ocean and mountains as I walk to work always makes me grin and pinch myself that I'm really here.

How friendly most people are. We have made some great friends here (been here nearly 18months) who are better friends than we made in our whole 6 years living in London.

Growing our own veggies.

Being able to drive to ski fields.
I love all this too.

In fact, NZ would be 100% perfect if it was just 12,000 km closer to the UK so I could visit my family and 'old' friends!
Old Aug 12th 2011, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

old dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by billingham
Spoken like a true Kiwi. There has been time enough, so I will let Winston be my conveyor:

Lady Nancy Astor: "Winston, if you were my husband, I'd poison your tea."
Churchill: "Nancy, if I were your husband, I'd drink it.”

Au revoir.
Small world, my husband was given famous quote toilet paper for his birthday!!

TTFN
Old Aug 12th 2011, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

old dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud of

One of the very best things is the absolute lack of traffic. Just driven home through rush hour on a Friday night, not stopped in a single queue for more than 20 seconds and drove 20kms in little over 20 minutes.

The last Friday night commute I did in UK took me over an hour to move 5 miles.

Industrial centre of the city to the beach/home in less than half an hour - fantastic!
Old Aug 12th 2011, 7:11 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

One of the very best things is the absolute lack of traffic. Just driven home through rush hour on a Friday night, not stopped in a single queue for more than 20 seconds and drove 20kms in little over 20 minutes.

The last Friday night commute I did in UK took me over an hour to move 5 miles.

Industrial centre of the city to the beach/home in less than half an hour - fantastic!
So, you don't live in Auckland then?
Old Aug 12th 2011, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dorrick
So, you don't live in Auckland then?
Oh no sorry lol, didn't mean to be insensitive!! I used to hate the rush hour commute and the novelty hasn't worn off yet - simple things and all that
Old Aug 12th 2011, 8:30 am
~^_^~

shelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond reputeshelloid has a reputation beyond repute

aaah yes, I forgot about the lack of commute. Currently I have a 5 mins drive / 40 min walk to work, compared to an hour in the UK.

However, we have JUST BOUGHT A HOUSE (sorry still excited only found out yesterday) and I will have a 'long' commute - about 25 min cycle (I'm slow) or 10-15 min drive.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 10:17 am
Old Jerk

kaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nice

I sailed up the Waitemata harbour on a British trampship,late Nov 1960,took the pilot about 6.am,anchored in the stream at 7.am,I was an Engineer and down below till we anchored,it was a beautiful sunny sunday morning there were no high rise buildings that I can remember the houses were mostly white with red and green roofs,the brandnew bridge(minus clipons) steam powered ferries an amazing sight for a lad from a pit village in Co Durham on his first voyage,I made my mind up there and then that this was where I was going to live.
First run ashore Monday,a huge steam train chugging up the middle of the road past the dock gates,in to the pub,the Ambassadors beer in jugs everybody left their money on the bar,then round about 5 pm the pub trembled as hordes of wharfies "dropped "in for a beer,then the pub closed,6 pm and the boozer was shut !!!! so its off to Ma Gleesons the slygrog pub.if you wanted a seat you took a beer crate,if you wanted a punch in the head you stared too long at the Maori Princess along the bar,lol this was where parties were organised and Ponsonby was the place a real run down dump mainly populated by Maoris and Islanders but they knew how to make the Pakeha welcome and how to party hard,If you fancied a bit of class you went to the Great Northern,waiter service, palm trees in pots,string quartet,flash sheilas.
Off to Napier to discharge the rest of the sulphur for the fert works,met a 16 yr old Maori/Chinese girl,worked my passage back to Kiwi four yrs later married the now 20 yr old in 64,have 2 daughters and five grandkids,and thats what I love about New Zealand
Old Aug 12th 2011, 11:04 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kaihoe
I sailed up the Waitemata harbour on a British trampship,late Nov 1960,took the pilot about 6.am,anchored in the stream at 7.am,I was an Engineer and down below till we anchored,it was a beautiful sunny sunday morning there were no high rise buildings that I can remember the houses were mostly white with red and green roofs,the brandnew bridge(minus clipons) steam powered ferries an amazing sight for a lad from a pit village in Co Durham on his first voyage,I made my mind up there and then that this was where I was going to live.
First run ashore Monday,a huge steam train chugging up the middle of the road past the dock gates,in to the pub,the Ambassadors beer in jugs everybody left their money on the bar,then round about 5 pm the pub trembled as hordes of wharfies "dropped "in for a beer,then the pub closed,6 pm and the boozer was shut !!!! so its off to Ma Gleesons the slygrog pub.if you wanted a seat you took a beer crate,if you wanted a punch in the head you stared too long at the Maori Princess along the bar,lol this was where parties were organised and Ponsonby was the place a real run down dump mainly populated by Maoris and Islanders but they knew how to make the Pakeha welcome and how to party hard,If you fancied a bit of class you went to the Great Northern,waiter service, palm trees in pots,string quartet,flash sheilas.
Off to Napier to discharge the rest of the sulphur for the fert works,met a 16 yr old Maori/Chinese girl,worked my passage back to Kiwi four yrs later married the now 20 yr old in 64,have 2 daughters and five grandkids,and thats what I love about New Zealand
Excellent... so now are you a Kiwi or deep down still a Geordie
Old Aug 12th 2011, 1:01 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Excellent... so now are you a Kiwi or deep down still a Geordie
careful, co. Durham's not part of Geordie-land, they are mostly mackems or pit-yakkers up there, but I know the odd bar-code who lived in co. Durham or in Monkey-hanging central, or even on Teeside when we used to live in Ushaw Moor and work in Stockton a long time ago.

bit like Brummie vs Yam-yam in your part of the world

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.