Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things you Love about NZ

Things you Love about NZ

Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:25 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you Love about NZ

Originally Posted by DC10
No, you are quite right. and much of it is legislated for here

I am an ex-pat Kiwi in the UK who became a British citizen last month and am heading "home" on a one-way ticket for the RWC next month
Not gonna criticise that as we are aiming to do the reverse (without the one way ticket back to Europe at the end) but that timing would be considered odd by the Immigration boys over here.
We were at the test over the weekend and I reckon the ABs should overcome the Wallabies so your trip will most likely be fruitful. Got tickets?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lardyl
Not gonna criticise that as we are aiming to do the reverse (without the one way ticket back to Europe at the end) but that timing would be considered odd by the Immigration boys over here.
We were at the test over the weekend and I reckon the ABs should overcome the Wallabies so your trip will most likely be fruitful. Got tickets?
Unless you become a convicted serial killer or something (and even then, in the UK....) there's not much they can do about it once you have the certificate/passport in your hand. They can't stop citizens travelling.

yep - off to Eng v Arg, Georgia, Romania + Italy v Russia + Wales v Fiji. how about you?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:35 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Only taking the family to France-Jpn at Nth Harbour.
Couldn't afford any more, Eng-Sco would have been great but took my boy to the Wallabies instead as it was 1/4 of the price when I got round to booking the tickets.

The market here for my line of work has all but dried up so we are really short of the folding at the moment.

Digging in and hoping to last out until we can apply for citizenship, about 6 months now.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

HelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant futureHelsnLee has a brilliant future

Being Welsh and female I could be up for a lot of jibes however there is far too much seriousness in life itself! Sarcasm wit and humour make it more enjoyable however its about knowing your audience!
I was doing hair braiding raising money for NSPCC and asked a completely bald gentleman would he like it done(chuckling to myself) until I saw his mortified face oops!
I love reading this thread and all the positives! keep them coming!
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:56 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by billingham
From my perspective, if a person is disadvantaged because of their race - that is racism. Also, if a person is hurt by a comment about their race, then that also is racism, regardless of whether we think they are being over sensitive. The same is true of 'isms'. For example, how many females are upset by the following joke?
......it is all a matter of judgement.
By the ism argument I could suggest that because I am ugly that an employer looking for a model to grace the pages of some glossy is being "face-ist". As I am being disadvantaged for the simple reason that I am not good enough looking.....I am missing out on a five figure salary because of my looks, totally unfair. /removes tongue from cheek/
And that joke is crazy, it could never ever be considered sexist. A person who could consider it so needs to "harden up". Of course some things are offensive and unreasonable but things can go too far.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 11:57 am
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HelsnLee
I was doing hair braiding raising money for NSPCC and asked a completely bald gentleman would he like it done(chuckling to myself) until I saw his mortified face
It is strange - 'baldness' is one of those things which is 'ok' to make jibes about. If you had been doing nail painting, I bet you would not have asked an amputee if they wanted theirs done? But should you have been able to? Who is wrong? Are they being over sensitive, or are we (and we have all been guilty) being insensitive?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:00 pm
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point

And that joke is crazy, it could never ever be considered sexist. A person who could consider it so needs to "harden up". Of course some things are offensive and unreasonable but things can go too far.
We shall see. There may some females wearing comfortable shoes who may disagree!
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

I think the world is a bit too PC these days. People need to lighten up and have a bit of a laugh....

I define racism as looking down at people of a particular race and thinking your own race is better than them. Making a joke is not the same IMO.

If it is, then I am definitely racist.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 12:26 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by billingham
We shall see. There may some females wearing comfortable shoes who may disagree!
well their opinion is something that is of little value to me. their world view is what it is and I'm sure the butch ones can take it - or am I missing something?? /dons hard hat/

and to be honest they should read something like "Morality" by Bernard Williams which goes a long way to leading people with half a brain in the direction of debunking moral relativism and subjectivism and in my view rids the world of the crazy idea that "everyone is right" in their world view, ergo one cannot criticise it. I'm reading it again after 20 years away from philosophy - great for overcoming insomnia.

the real danger is from groups of people who consider that those who express an opinion contrary to their beliefs are fair game for intimidation, violence, murder or other vendettas. in my view, such groups fail the test that allows them anything other than the very basic human rights and in some cases may even remove all of those rights.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 1:00 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Things you Love about NZ

the real danger is from groups of people who consider that those who express an opinion contrary to their beliefs are fair game for intimidation, violence, murder or other vendettas. in my view, such groups fail the test that allows them anything other than the very basic human rights and in some cases may even remove all of those rights.
I’d call that a pretty damning assessment of our criminal justice system and military with the result society should be stripped of all but a very few basic rights .

You must see there are a least a few flaws in that argument.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 1:12 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I’d call that a pretty damning assessment of our criminal justice system and military with the result society should be stripped of all but a very few basic rights .

You must see there are a least a few flaws in that argument.
hell yeah, it's classic eye for an eye - it never ends

however, when society can't decide on whether or not we need core values then someone has to come up with some and some reasoning behind them
Old Aug 8th 2011, 1:15 pm
you dewty owld maan!

haven't got to the chapter on Utilitarianism yet - can I phone a friend......??
Old Aug 8th 2011, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

doubt that even in low-PC NZ you can get away with discussing your drawers on a public forum though - that's plain yukky
Thats just pants!!!
Old Aug 8th 2011, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

"new" communities who generally respect their new homeland and limit their fire-raising to forums such as this one. can i say that?
Old Aug 8th 2011, 9:15 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Opportunities. I still think NZ is the land of opportunity for those willing to take a punt- the small population means there's some real chances out there.

Schooling. Miles better at primary imo, and nothing anyone says about little Quentin not studying the Romans here will make me change my mind.

Weather. I think I live in one of the shittiest areas weather-wise (Waikato) but it's still heaps better than anywhere in Britain.

Automatic cars. Why the hell would you have a gear stick when you can have a magnum instead?!

Cicadas. British summer seems flat without them now.

Beaches. No queuing to park or fighting for some peace and quiet.

Empty roads and coffee. I love driving along (in my automatic) with a marvelous cup of coffee on an empty road.

Stuff grows. Lemons and grapefruit, melons and peaches- it's such a wonderful growing climate here!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.