Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things you Love about NZ

Things you Love about NZ

Old Aug 7th 2011, 12:30 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you Love about NZ

Time
Space
Freedom
Opportunity
Security

And the environment to exploit these.

All are better for us in NZ than they were in the UK.
For example, I have no commute, and before work I can walk kids to school past the park and the beach and look out onto the seaside as I do so. I feel safe doing this at any time of the day or night and am unlikely to have to step off the pavement to let anyone through. Could never do this back in Blighty.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 12:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Not in NZ at mo but just wanted to say, I love this thread.

Reminds me why I love home so much - all the above reasons and many more.

And for the one who mentioned feijoas, thank you, I love joas and miss them!!!!
Old Aug 7th 2011, 12:42 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bananalana
Not in NZ at mo but just wanted to say, I love this thread.

Reminds me why I love home so much - all the above reasons and many more.

And for the one who mentioned feijoas, thank you, I love joas and miss them!!!!
there's a whole thread on them from way back when.......
love to pick the ones up that have rolled down our drive from the neighbour's garden - the ones that haven't been squished at least.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

bananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud ofbananalana has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lardyl
there's a whole thread on them from way back when.......
love to pick the ones up that have rolled down our drive from the neighbour's garden - the ones that haven't been squished at least.
When I was a kid, we had a couple of fiejoa trees in our backyard and my sister and I would eat them before they were even ready. Just pluck em off the tree and eat em, skins and all.

When I was in my mid 20's, the OH, child and I moved into a place in Napier that had a fiejoa tree int he yard and when they started growing, the first thing I did was go and sit under the tree on a sunny day stuffing my face with them

They are a seriously sexy fruit lol
Old Aug 7th 2011, 1:01 pm
you dewty owld maan!

They are a seriously sexy fruit lol
my OH hates em, and kids are 50:50. but then I love rhubarb without sugar, gooseberries, etc.
Did a bit of mowing work a few years ago and used to hate doing one lawn where they just left the lovely ripe ones in amongst the long grass - massive trees as well, a real waste
Old Aug 7th 2011, 1:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by lardyl
my OH hates em, and kids are 50:50. but then I love rhubarb without sugar, gooseberries, etc.
Did a bit of mowing work a few years ago and used to hate doing one lawn where they just left the lovely ripe ones in amongst the long grass - massive trees as well, a real waste

Acually, I dont think my OH is that keen on them either - hes crazy though LOL. My kid won't eat them either, there is somethign wrong with her LMAO

Yea that is a waste!
Old Aug 7th 2011, 8:48 pm
Old Jerk

kaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nice

Watching the grandkids turning brown as summer grinds on.
uncovering the hangi.
running down bloody possums.
Buying pork in the supermarket and taking it to the checkout girl with the scarf on her head.
Old Aug 7th 2011, 9:03 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kaihoe
Watching the grandkids turning brown as summer grinds on.
uncovering the hangi.
running down bloody possums.
Buying pork in the supermarket and taking it to the checkout girl with the scarf on her head.
Couldn't you buy pork and take it too the checkout before??
Old Aug 7th 2011, 10:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by love30stm
Couldn't you buy pork and take it too the checkout before??
Yea, and why does the supermarket girl have a scarf on her head? Is it a gang bandanna?
Old Aug 7th 2011, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
My favourite thing is when you press the button to cross the road and it does that beep thingy. I'll never get bored of doing impressions of the beeps.

You can keep your deserted beaches, wine and safe neighbourhoods, give me the beeps anyday.
Its so funny you said that, I want to record a Wellington CBD one before we leave..it's a sound I associate with my early days here living in a hotel in the CBD lol. I think we must be weird .
I don't know if they sound the same all over NZ but I really like the Wellington beep.
Old Aug 8th 2011, 1:38 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Its so funny you said that, I want to record a Wellington CBD one before we leave..it's a sound I associate with my early days here living in a hotel in the CBD lol. I think we must be weird .
I don't know if they sound the same all over NZ but I really like the Wellington beep.
Little things please little minds
Old Aug 8th 2011, 2:05 am
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by love30stm
Little things please little minds
while greater fools look on......

which is why all of you "beep...beep...bink....bink...bink" aficianadoes get funny looks as you admire the sounds coming from the crossings or breakdance to the beat.

Having said that I reckon standing there pressing the button when there is no traffic about is just childish but so much fun
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:13 am
Old Jerk

kaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nice

Yea, and why does the supermarket girl have a scarf on her head? Is it a gang bandanna?
Biggest gang in the world !!!!
Old Aug 8th 2011, 4:26 am
you dewty owld maan!

I'd rather be wearing "that gang's" scarf than their vests
Old Aug 8th 2011, 6:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps you ought to keep your nasty racist comments to yourself, I doubt you'll find much support here.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.