Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things you Love about NZ

Things you Love about NZ

Old Aug 12th 2011, 2:04 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you Love about NZ

Originally Posted by lardyl
careful, co. Durham's not part of Geordie-land, they are mostly mackems or pit-yakkers up there, but I know the odd bar-code who lived in co. Durham or in Monkey-hanging central, or even on Teeside when we used to live in Ushaw Moor and work in Stockton a long time ago.

bit like Brummie vs Yam-yam in your part of the world
OK originated by the Tyne but general to Duham as well. My mother was a geordie and I lived up there for a few years, South Shields. My fathers ship was in Tyneside for repairs during the war years where they met hence I can understand what they are saying.... I still say the netty.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 8:01 pm
Forum Regular

old dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud ofold dragon has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kaihoe
I sailed up the Waitemata harbour on a British trampship,late Nov 1960,took the pilot about 6.am,anchored in the stream at 7.am,I was an Engineer and down below till we anchored,it was a beautiful sunny sunday morning there were no high rise buildings that I can remember the houses were mostly white with red and green roofs,the brandnew bridge(minus clipons) steam powered ferries an amazing sight for a lad from a pit village in Co Durham on his first voyage,I made my mind up there and then that this was where I was going to live.
First run ashore Monday,a huge steam train chugging up the middle of the road past the dock gates,in to the pub,the Ambassadors beer in jugs everybody left their money on the bar,then round about 5 pm the pub trembled as hordes of wharfies "dropped "in for a beer,then the pub closed,6 pm and the boozer was shut !!!! so its off to Ma Gleesons the slygrog pub.if you wanted a seat you took a beer crate,if you wanted a punch in the head you stared too long at the Maori Princess along the bar,lol this was where parties were organised and Ponsonby was the place a real run down dump mainly populated by Maoris and Islanders but they knew how to make the Pakeha welcome and how to party hard,If you fancied a bit of class you went to the Great Northern,waiter service, palm trees in pots,string quartet,flash sheilas.
Off to Napier to discharge the rest of the sulphur for the fert works,met a 16 yr old Maori/Chinese girl,worked my passage back to Kiwi four yrs later married the now 20 yr old in 64,have 2 daughters and five grandkids,and thats what I love about New Zealand
How romantic, she sounds beautiful - I like stories like these
Old Aug 13th 2011, 4:40 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

The birds. Our back garden is bush so we're constantly surrounded by a symphony. Tuis, rosellas, wood pigeons (they sit just above our deck and the tree shakes ), fantails and of course myna birds (I like the sound of them but they're not popular as they're not native and are a threat to the ecosystem. They're very aggressive and a bit like the cuckoo when it comes to other birds' nests).

The smell of jasmine in the spring (just noticed ours is starting to come out)

The people. Legislation might insist on political correctness but it'll be a long time before it filters through, IF it ever filters through

The feeling it gives me that I can do anything here. Everything is possible.

For everything else you need Mastercard.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 9:47 am
Old Jerk

kaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nicekaihoe is just really nice

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Excellent... so now are you a Kiwi or deep down still a Geordie
Thats a tough one,I did 1yr at the pit...= pit yacker,
Served my time at sunderland,5yrs......= Mackem,
Always called myself a Geordie,most people know the name.
So,Geomackyack would be good,have no allegiance to British West Hartlepool or suspended simians
Old Aug 13th 2011, 1:28 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
OK originated by the Tyne but general to Duham as well. My mother was a geordie and I lived up there for a few years, South Shields. My fathers ship was in Tyneside for repairs during the war years where they met hence I can understand what they are saying.... I still say the netty.
well I divant narrr.........
you can get a canny curry in south shields, eh?

Mrs L worked there for a year or so. Did her degree in the toon living in Jesmond, and we spent a couple of years in Ushaw Moor before moving up in the world to Sedgefield. Thats a durham town and the locals would never own the "geordie" tag. Same with Darlo. But they're not pit villages.

I still "gan yemm", call MrsL "hinny" and call the kids "pet" on the odd occasion. But I am a Yam-Yam to the core.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:38 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
well I divant narrr.........
you can get a canny curry in south shields, eh?

Mrs L worked there for a year or so. Did her degree in the toon living in Jesmond, and we spent a couple of years in Ushaw Moor before moving up in the world to Sedgefield. Thats a durham town and the locals would never own the "geordie" tag. Same with Darlo. But they're not pit villages.

I still "gan yemm", call MrsL "hinny" and call the kids "pet" on the odd occasion. But I am a Yam-Yam to the core.
Yup my first introduction to the fret aged about 7. Made a big mistake one winters morning went down the front steps to get the milk and pulled open the front door and engulfed by the snow drift falling in. Should have known better as I hadn't heard the dockers steel caps on the cobbles, always rattled the letter box after that...