British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   THINGS WORTH BRINGING FROM UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/things-worth-bringing-uk-554069/)

PHONEJUNKY Aug 8th 2008 5:07 pm

THINGS WORTH BRINGING FROM UK

Does anyone recommend bringing anything from uk that is hard to get hold of or is very expensive in N.Z.
It could be Furniture, electrical or plumbing or anything that will fit in container.

Soppydot4 Aug 8th 2008 5:11 pm

Re: THINGS WORTH BRINGING FROM UK

We're making the move at the end of the month and are taking everything. My sister went out in Jan 06 and said for us to take everything. They didn't drain their dishwasher in time so had to leave it and they ended up buying a budget make dishwasher at high-end prices. Although I suppose you need to make sure with appliances that you can have them fixed in NZ if they need it. Our appliances are Bosch and we know they can be fixed but not sure about makes such as Hotpoint, Creda, etc.

love30stm Aug 8th 2008 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by Soppydot4 (Post 6659664)
We're making the move at the end of the month and are taking everything. My sister went out in Jan 06 and said for us to take everything. They didn't drain their dishwasher in time so had to leave it and they ended up buying a budget make dishwasher at high-end prices. Although I suppose you need to make sure with appliances that you can have them fixed in NZ if they need it. Our appliances are Bosch and we know they can be fixed but not sure about makes such as Hotpoint, Creda, etc.

Mobile Phones are expensive here compared to the Uk....but bring everything, most things are a lot expensive there...

Oh and good Bicycles they are so expensive here also...

but bring everthing...you can always sell it if you dont want them

oh and a lawnmower my husband just shouted out lol!!! we ended up paying out for one as we have a huge garden

wish we could have brought paint ,so expensive here

hope that helps any other questions e mail me

still love it though :thumbsup:

Divine Comedy Aug 9th 2008 1:24 am

Good quality shoes, books, quality clothes . Laptops seem expensive too.

howden40 Aug 9th 2008 4:01 am

Hi

We brought pretty much everything, except lawnmower. If I knew then what I know now I would have brought more and would have stocked up on some other items.

Tights/stockings/knee highs if you wear them, even occasionally - extremely expensive.

Underwear and socks.

Bedding is also quite expensive as are good quality towels - but frequently on sale.

hope this helps

Pauline

PHONEJUNKY Aug 9th 2008 6:42 am

Thanks for all replys. If you can add to the list post here.
Thank you

Tony & Mandy

love30stm Aug 9th 2008 6:48 am

Originally Posted by howden40 (Post 6661061)
Hi

We brought pretty much everything, except lawnmower. If I knew then what I know now I would have brought more and would have stocked up on some other items.

Tights/stockings/knee highs if you wear them, even occasionally - extremely expensive.

Underwear and socks.

Bedding is also quite expensive as are good quality towels - but frequently on sale.

hope this helps

Pauline

There are Good shoes from number 1 shoes, and they have frequent sales, the bedding is not that expensive from briscoes in the sales and better quality!

I find underwear and tights affordable..... and some of the clothes depends if you wear designer gear well thats expensive in the UK, and I was never a fan of chavs...lol

Wallpaper is miles overpriced and i thought Laura Ashley was expensive.....so if you want to wallpaper bring it with you...

:)

mkumar Aug 9th 2008 6:55 am

Phones & laptops are expensive.

Sat navs are expensive too - maybe check how much a NZ card costs.

Bring some multi socket extension leads, with one NZ adapter plug, and save yourself the cost of changing the plugs over.

Margaret Parkinson Aug 9th 2008 6:59 am

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 6660724)
Mobile Phones are expensive here compared to the Uk....but bring everything, most things are a lot expensive there...

wish we could have brought paint ,so expensive here

still love it though :thumbsup:

I don't think you are allowed to bring paint.

June

love30stm Aug 9th 2008 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson (Post 6661227)

June

I know your not allowed to bring paint!!!! :huh:

I was just saying I wish we could have......:blink:

Margaret Parkinson Aug 9th 2008 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by love30stm (Post 6661242)
I know your not allowed to bring paint!!!! :huh:

I was just saying I wish we could have......:blink:

Sorry did not read your message properly:embaressed_smile:

June

alscott76 Aug 9th 2008 6:40 pm

Well i play golf and altho its really cheap to play and the courses are awesome, the gear is expensive. Clothing is dated, Balls are over priced Pro V £40 were in the uk £30 club are the same.. depends were u are going to live

love30stm Aug 9th 2008 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by alscott76 (Post 6663246)
Well i play golf and altho its really cheap to play and the courses are awesome, the gear is expensive. Clothing is dated, Balls are over priced Pro V £40 were in the uk £30 club are the same.. depends were u are going to live

Well i just wear my normal clothes, and hire equipment, then again Im not a golfer ,,,,only play for a laugh sometimes....lol

and never played golf btw until I came here :)

maybe I should take up Bungee Jumping next...:rofl:

j19fmm Aug 10th 2008 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Margaret Parkinson (Post 6661227)

June

Why won't they let you bring paint in?:confused:

PHONEJUNKY Aug 10th 2008 9:48 pm

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 6666182)
Why won't they let you bring paint in?:confused:

Its because it is classed as a hazardous material.