Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things to see in N.California

Things to see in N.California

Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:43 pm
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things to see in N.California

Looking at picking up an RV in Sacramento, then heading up the coast, next June.

Any things we should make a point of seeing??? I can just about find California on a map, so I have no idea where to head, or what to see.

Thanks
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:50 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to see in N.California

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
Looking at picking up an RV in Sacramento, then heading up the coast, next June.

Any things we should make a point of seeing??? I can just about find California on a map, so I have no idea where to head, or what to see.

Thanks
More like mid-California and inland, but I absolutely love:

Lake Tahoe
Sequoia National Forest
Yosemite National Park

The coastal drive from LA to San Francisco is great. I've never been north of San Francisco...I wonder what's up there? LOL

Rene
Old Nov 28th 2008, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

a few places that immediately comes to mind:

Yosemite
Lake Tahoe (I personally like CalNeva resort)
San Francisco
Rt 1
Old Nov 28th 2008, 3:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

How far south do you plan to come? Will you hit the Bay Area at all?
What things do you like to check out? How long have you got?
And do you have to return to Sacramento or somewhere else?

The other recommendations are cool. Also head for the coast.
Look up a bit about Point Reyes (Just getting into Elephant Seal Season), Muir Woods (A must for budding ewoks), Mount Tamalpais (Excellent bay area views) (I live in Marin so excuse the bias)
Will you have a smaller car in tow? Some of the highways out to the coast can be very windy and big changes in elevation. I sometimes don't like it in a car never mind something bigger. (Especially with trucks thundering the opposite way.
The coast all the way up to Mendocino is great. If you stop in Fort Bragg eat at Sharon by the Sea. If you want the mega redwoods you need to get up to Eureka though there are other examples further down (See Muir Woods)
Old Nov 28th 2008, 3:40 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
The coastal drive from LA to San Francisco is great. I've never been north of San Francisco...I wonder what's up there? LOL

Rene
Big **** off trees
Old Nov 28th 2008, 3:41 pm
Banned

englishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond reputeenglishinfl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
I've never been north of San Francisco...I wonder what's up there? LOL

Rene

Oregon.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 4:17 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

North of San francisco on the coast is Bodega bay
http://www.bodegabay.com/
Sonoma county wine country,
http://www.sonoma.com/
Fort Brag, and pot country.
Oh and the Skunk train is supposed to be nice but sounds weird
http://www.skunktrain.com/

and lots of huge redwoods.
Inland
Calaveras big trees,
Indian Grinding rock
Columbia state park
Hwy 49 scenic route gold rush towns.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 5:11 pm
Carmel Indiana

paul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond reputepaul1968mcr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks alot for the ideas guys.

we are probably gonna have about 7 days, there will be 2 families in 2 RV's we both have young kids 8-13 to entertain too - that should be fun!!!

The Redwoods are definately gonna be on the schedule, along with one or two vinyards - Back home we used to drink Gallo wines, never thought we'd get the oportunity to visit the area

I think the basic plan will be to head to the coast from sacramento, then up north, I think to the Redwood forest national park??? then make our way back to sacramento.

Looking forward too it!!!
Old Nov 28th 2008, 5:13 pm
Carmel Indiana

Originally Posted by mayhemuk
How far south do you plan to come? Will you hit the Bay Area at all?
What things do you like to check out? How long have you got?
And do you have to return to Sacramento or somewhere else?

The other recommendations are cool. Also head for the coast.
Look up a bit about Point Reyes (Just getting into Elephant Seal Season), Muir Woods (A must for budding ewoks), Mount Tamalpais (Excellent bay area views) (I live in Marin so excuse the bias)
Will you have a smaller car in tow? Some of the highways out to the coast can be very windy and big changes in elevation. I sometimes don't like it in a car never mind something bigger. (Especially with trucks thundering the opposite way.
The coast all the way up to Mendocino is great. If you stop in Fort Bragg eat at Sharon by the Sea. If you want the mega redwoods you need to get up to Eureka though there are other examples further down (See Muir Woods)
We are looking into the car option - If the roads get too scarey, she can drive, I have a morbid fear of heights - either that or I could wear blinkers.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 5:25 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paul1968mcr
We are looking into the car option - If the roads get too scarey, she can drive, I have a morbid fear of heights - either that or I could wear blinkers.
You'll want to drive then, the driver's side is in the middle of the road. It's as a passenger that you can look out the window and be so close to the edge that you can't see pavement...
Old Nov 28th 2008, 5:37 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You'll want to drive then, the driver's side is in the middle of the road. It's as a passenger that you can look out the window and be so close to the edge that you can't see pavement...

It ain't that bad really..................
My drive's up and down Big Sur and PCH were kind of like this.

Start around the 5 minute mark

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Nov 28th 2008 at 5:39 pm.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 6:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
North of San francisco on the coast is Bodega bay
http://www.bodegabay.com/
Sonoma county wine country,
http://www.sonoma.com/
Fort Brag, and pot country.
Oh and the Skunk train is supposed to be nice but sounds weird
http://www.skunktrain.com/

and lots of huge redwoods.
Inland
Calaveras big trees,
Indian Grinding rock
Columbia state park
Hwy 49 scenic route gold rush towns.
yes yes yes!
I grew up in N California.. these are all my childhood vacations.
The Skunk train is cool. And the drive-through Redwood, and the giant Paul Bunyan, and Agate Beach... ahhhh.

paul, we drove home to Oregon (yes, that's what is 'above San Francisco Rene!) that way last winter and I was taken aback at how beautiful it is. Almost had a hankering to move back.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond reputeSophia_S has a reputation beyond repute

Point Reyes is lovely,also Drakes Bay(they think that was the place Sir Frances Drake landed),can see the migrating whales from Point Reyes,Napa Valley is beautiful,lots of wine tasting at the vineyards,San Fran is the most beautiful city (IMO!)Fishermans Wharf is great,there are lots of really pretty coastal towns,Santa Cruz was just so cute but we were there before the earthquake hit it,it had a lovely board walk and wooden rollercoaster.We'll definately go back to N.California in a few years time,too expensive to live there,but a long vacation will be heaven!
We lived on Travis AFB in Solano County,nearest town was Fairfield.

Last edited by Sophia_S; Nov 28th 2008 at 8:10 pm. Reason: addition..
Old Dec 1st 2008, 12:05 am
Just Joined

GrandLarseny will become famous soon enough

hello everyone
native northern californian here
the central/san jouaquin valley while it has its charms is kind of flat and boring farm country
other than that you cant miss interesting things to see in norcal, theres a reason why the modern environmentalists movement started here
spectacular coast
rugged coastal mountains
dont miss the original growth redwoods in santa cruz county, humboldt or mendecino counties, no text can describe the feeling of when your on a trail above the canyon over a hundered feet above where the tree grows from and you still havd to crane your neck to look at the top of the enormous thing

the sierras ...the more adventurous you are in your trips the greater your reward will be, however do take note were entering the time of year where travel is tricky in the high mountains

and my personal favorite, i like to call it lake tahoe by the sea...the lost coast, west of garberville.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 12:25 am
Dis-Member

SagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond reputeSagenOnion has a reputation beyond repute

Poppy Girl

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.