Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things I like about Canterbury

Things I like about Canterbury

Old Nov 27th 2011, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things I like about Canterbury

I mean North Canty where I live and was reminded of today as I took the dog for a walk with my wife:
1. Lovely sunny day and 25°, forecast for 26° tomorrow.
2. Big wide roads where you could park 2 a breast and still fit a tank down the middle.
3. People picking up after their dogs.
4. People saying "Gidday" or "How are you?".
5. The same trailer always parked in the same place with the tools left in full view and never disappearing.
6. The garage doors wide open showing bikes and tools to the whole world at all times of the day.
7. The majesty of Port Hills in one direction and the supremacy of the Southern Alps in the other.

that was the evening dog walk, the afternoon walk took in the Ashley Spit at Waikuku, it was glorious seeing the white-baiters and the kite-surfers and the dog going mad for the seagulls.
I love Sundays
Old Nov 27th 2011, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things I like about Canterbury

I second everything you said We live slightly further south than you and not near the beach, but the sight of the mountains every night in front of me as I drive home never fails to raise a smile from me.

We do wish there was a pub/shop a bit nearer than 12K away though

Jan
Old Nov 28th 2011, 6:38 am
Forum Regular

welshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nicewelshrgeordie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
I second everything you said We live slightly further south than you and not near the beach, but the sight of the mountains every night in front of me as I drive home never fails to raise a smile from me.

We do wish there was a pub/shop a bit nearer than 12K away though

Jan
Looking for suggestions to good area's to live in chch ...good schools etc ....what are the best coastal area's .....and how is Rolleston ?????
Old Nov 28th 2011, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

I'd pick Rangiora over Rolleston, not just because I live here but for many other reasons, too long to list.
Lots of great areas of Chch, just avoid the residential red zone and the eastern suburbs in general. Having said that there some wonderful streets even in the dodgiest of suburbs, and some dodgy streets in the best suburbs. You have to live here for a while to know where to live and where not to live. You can't go too wrong if you look at the NW of Chch.
I'd avoid the coast. Good luck.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 8:29 am
Just Joined

Maynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Woodlea
You have to live here for a while to know where to live and where not to live.
Eh?! My heads spinning here, chicken or egg?
Old Nov 28th 2011, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Maynard Friedman
Eh?! My heads spinning here, chicken or egg?
Rent
Old Nov 28th 2011, 8:35 am
Just Joined

Maynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really niceMaynard Friedman is just really nice

Rent
Yes, but how do you know where unless you've lived there, etc...

Just killing time here
Old Nov 28th 2011, 8:41 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but how do you know where unless you've lived there, etc...

Just killing time here
Book into a short term place as a base and look around...
Old Nov 28th 2011, 8:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Book into a short term place as a base and look around...
I'm just kidding. When we arrived in Wellington in January, we spent the first 6-7 weeks in the Museum Hotel before renting in Seatoun. It's not Canterbury but gave us a good idea of where to go.
Old Nov 28th 2011, 8:51 am

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just kidding. When we arrived in Wellington in January, we spent the first 6-7 weeks in the Museum Hotel before renting in Seatoun. It's not Canterbury but gave us a good idea of where to go.
Did they come in with a special long term rate?
Old Nov 28th 2011, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Did they come in with a special long term rate?
All paid for by my wife's employer!
Old Nov 28th 2011, 9:18 am

All paid for by my wife's employer!
Sounds like the best kind of room rate....
Old Nov 28th 2011, 7:31 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

I'd pick Rangiora over Rolleston, .
Avoid both, full of bloody foreigners...

I like blue sky and the fact i live right in the city and can see the alps from the end of my driveway...
Old Nov 28th 2011, 9:04 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I can see the Southern Alps if I look one way and the Port Hills if I look the other. So there, Ghost of Dusty Bin

Well I can if the weather isn't grey and miserable

Welshgeordie- I'd make your decision on where to live when you get here. What do you want-more rural, more city, proximity to shops etc??.
We nearly moved to Rolleston but we both wanted somewhere closer to the city. The town is fine, it has shops and is expanding; you can get a good sized house and garden for your money compared to Chch, it is also only about 15-20mins drive to Chch itself. The hours and where I work meant that that extra 15mins would drive me insane after a while-fine if I didn't work so late
I'm on the western edge of the city, I like it here and it suits both me and him! Could do with a closer pub though
Old Nov 29th 2011, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Rolly and Rangy are both nice and both full of poms depends witch side of town you are working on

Neil

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.