Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things to get in UK rather than NZ

Things to get in UK rather than NZ

Old Apr 23rd 2012, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

jjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nice
Talking Things to get in UK rather than NZ

Hi all
We are going to be moving in August. WHOOP WHOOP, can't wait!!!!!!!!

I see Ikea products (some) are available in NZ but are about 4x the price. Is there anything you suggest we buy here rather than NZ because it's either unavailable or very expensive!
We're going to make good use of Decathlon before we go, but can't think of much else that we need/will miss in NZ. We don't have much space left in our container so keeping it small things rather than big ones.

Thanks.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to get in UK rather than NZ

Had completely forgotten about Decathlon, but we do have more than our fair share of sports and big outdoors outlets. You can largely ignore the prices as you'll never know how much anything is meant to be and you just wait until you see something you like is reduced in the 'sales'.

Their marketing technique seems to be to label it at the most outrageously highest price possible and then offer periodically at reduced by 50% prices.

http://www.rebelsport.co.nz/

http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/

http://www.bivouac.co.nz/

http://www.fco.co.nz/#PR_ONSALE
Old Apr 25th 2012, 11:48 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

If you like Ikea (which I do) then you should buy as much as you can and flat pack it out. It's very, very difficult to get that stuff here, you can get some modern stuff but it will cost you much more. I think sofas especially are expensive here, so that would be worth taking.

Also, shoes and middle range clothes would be good to buy before you come. Also, your favourite cosmetics, which are double the price here. Pity you can't us the UK plugs as well.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

jjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nice

Thanks for the good advice. Yes, I knew about the IKEA story. Most of our house is IKEA anyway. I'll be getting a couple more dining chairs to match our set (we've only had space for 4 up til now)
The main thing with buying stuff is you can't leave it in the box so that it looks new because MAF will charge GST on it!
but we've already got shipping quotes so dont really want to get too much more as it'll increase the price quite a bit. Might get some clothes and a few bits and bobs of cosmetics etc. I'm not high maintenance thankfully so not too bothered about that.
Old Apr 25th 2012, 11:37 pm
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjsebba View Post
I'm not high maintenance thankfully so not too bothered about that.
That's what I thought before I came to NZ. Turns out I'm higher maintenance than I thought . Bought loads of clothes and make-up when I was back in the UK in March.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 12:34 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not high maintenance thankfully so not too bothered about that.
Neither am I but you may change your mind once you're here a while

On the list should be your most used and fave types of :-
Footwear.
Casual clothes.
Books.
Bedding. Towels.
Crockery.

If you are getting a container , then jam it full. It doesn't impinge on the price.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Hi Bevs
The price of your shipping does change depending on how full it is! Which is ridiculous! We've been quoted on 780 cubic meters and if it is above that when they pack, we will pay more! What a swizz!
Old Apr 26th 2012, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

white wear
furniture
bedding
clothes
shoes
general household goods
electronic goods

in essence - absolutely anything you can think you may need in the imminent future buy before you leave!
Old Apr 26th 2012, 6:36 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bevs
The price of your shipping does change depending on how full it is! Which is ridiculous! We've been quoted on 780 cubic meters and if it is above that when they pack, we will pay more! What a swizz!
I don't understand. The price will be for the container. If you do have more than can be held then I can see it being an extra charge to send the excess some way or another.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 7:33 am
Forum Regular

Bevs, that's not what they said to us, and yes, I agree, it doesn't make sense at ALL! A container is a container! and yes, this is just for extra cubic footage within the container, not extra! Oh well. I think we will probably just take the risk as from what this thread has suggested, we could do with stocking up on a few bits and bobs.

We're not sure if we're going to take OH motorbike, but it could put the costs up a little bit. Oh well, we're spending so much to get out there, what diffs does >£150 make?
Old Apr 28th 2012, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

sparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond reputesparkytoad has a reputation beyond repute

Ya can't leave the bike, its cruelty......
Old Apr 28th 2012, 9:39 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

oo i do like these 'what new shiney things can i justify buying myself because i have space in a container.' threads.

I think you should get a selection of those plates that used to be advertised on the back of the sunday magazines with cute kittens and pictures of Elvis.
Never seen any of those here ..
Old Apr 28th 2012, 10:09 pm
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Bevs, that's not what they said to us, and yes, I agree, it doesn't make sense at ALL! A container is a container! and yes, this is just for extra cubic footage within the container, not extra!
If it were me, I'd get a few quotes, elsewhere......We were given a price for a container, 20 foot or 40 foot.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 10:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bevs
780 cubic meters is one ginormous container, is it not? Standard 20 foot container is approx 1100 cubic feet
Old Apr 29th 2012, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles View Post
780 cubic meters is one ginormous container, is it not? Standard 20 foot container is approx 1100 cubic feet
and 1100 cubic feet is only 31 cubic metres,
from wiki:

Length Width Height Volume TEU
20 ft (6.1 m) 8 ft (2.44 m) 8 ft 6 in (2.59 m) 1,360 cu ft (38.5 m3) 1
40 ft (12.2 m) 8 ft (2.44 m) 8 ft 6 in (2.59 m) 2,720 cu ft (77 m3) 2

apologies for the formatting

Last edited by Woodlea; Apr 29th 2012 at 12:06 am. Reason: Formatting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.