Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things to do in Auckland?

Things to do in Auckland?

Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:10 pm
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things to do in Auckland?

Hi all,

Australian poster here, asking for a bit of help. I am off to Auckland for business next week, and I am taking my wife. It has been many years since I set foot in the land of the Long White Cloud, and I am sure Auckland has changed since the late 80s.

I therefore can’t advise my wife on things to do and see, and would appreciate any advice.

She is a Japanese, a shopaholic with a mall fixation and access to my credit cards.

Can anyone advise on the big malls, any good restaurants (especially Japanese) and anything to see that will keep her out of the mall (and therefore give my Amex breathing time).

We will be staying in the Queen Street area.

Any help really would be appreciated. If she gets bored I go bankrupt.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 7:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to do in Auckland?

take a tour bus round the city, catch a ferry from bottom of Queen street to Devonport, visit sky tour, catch a show Miss Saigon is on, catch a ferry to Rangitoto or Waieke
Old Jun 6th 2011, 8:10 pm

Catchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond reputeCatchafire has a reputation beyond repute

Queens St, is pretty much ground zero for shopping.
Old Jun 6th 2011, 11:01 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Newmarket is the best place for clothes shopping. Get on the link bus. Sadly, Miss Saigon will be over by the time you get here. It's an awesome show too.

Hotel DeBrett has a lovely restaurant. Not been to any Japanese restaurants in the city. You could go for a meal in the revolving restaurant in the Sky Tower. Fab views over the city. Get a ferry over to Devonport. Lots to do in Auckland
Old Jun 7th 2011, 12:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool
Hi all,

Australian poster here, asking for a bit of help. I am off to Auckland for business next week, and I am taking my wife. It has been many years since I set foot in the land of the Long White Cloud, and I am sure Auckland has changed since the late 80s.

I therefore can’t advise my wife on things to do and see, and would appreciate any advice.

She is a Japanese, a shopaholic with a mall fixation and access to my credit cards.

Can anyone advise on the big malls, any good restaurants (especially Japanese) and anything to see that will keep her out of the mall (and therefore give my Amex breathing time).

We will be staying in the Queen Street area.

Any help really would be appreciated. If she gets bored I go bankrupt.
I would go to Sylvia Park. Catch an Eastern line train at the Britomart train station bottom of Queen Street. The Sylvia Park station is a four stage ride (costs about $4), the fifth stop from Britomart and is right at the mall that has over 200 shops.

http://www.sylviapark.org/
Old Jun 7th 2011, 12:33 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the help guys, it all sounds good.

Pity about Miss Saigon, although we did see it a few years ago. I had a lump in my throat at the end, and wanted to leap up on stage and hold Kim in my arms. I have known a few Asian bar girls in my time.

Held a few in my arms too.

Ground central for shopping sounds a step closer to bankruptcy, and a shoe collection to rival Imelda Marcos.

The bus tour and ferry rides sound perfect, keeps her busy and away from shops. Newmarket and Sylvia Park sounds good, but under my control.

Auckland sure has changed.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 5:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bellasmum
I would go to Sylvia Park.
We were up in Auckland one time , a long while back, and there was a cultural showcase going on. Not the tourist ones for a glimpse of Maori culture although those are very interesting. The one where South Pacifica showcase their dances and also compete . Wonderful. Anything like that on up there somewhere for Mrs Slaphead O'Toole next week ?

Found this . A touristy assortment of tours but your wife may be interested . The Auckland Museum perhaps too.

Last edited by BEVS; Jun 7th 2011 at 5:56 am.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 7:24 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

I'm working at the airport, staying in an apartment overlooking Wesrfield shopping mall.
The first restauranr as you walk in the door I overlook is a Tepanyaki Japanese restaurant. http://www.menumania.co.nz/restauran...bar-restaurant
There's also a sushi place directly beneath me.
Old Jun 7th 2011, 11:02 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

If the weather is good then take a walk along Tamaki Drive to Mission Bay, where there are loads of cafes and restaurants, gorgeous walk along the waterfront, then you can always get the bus back if your legs won't last.

Another idea - there is the tourist info place on Quay Street near the Viaduct and ferry terminal - they will have info on different things to do and see. A coach trip to Piha is always stunning - gorgeous volcanic sand beach on west coast (about 40 mins out of CBD), very dramatic surf beach and worth a few photos.

Parnell is nice to walk up and down as is Ponsonby - both walking distance of the CBD (but opposite directions), then Karangahape Road - head up the hill from Queen Street, is a colourful 'alternative' lifestyle area of the city with some pretty cool one-off student/designer style shops.

The museum in the Domain is a nice walk and interesting visit too.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 2:28 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

A great Japanese restaurant is Kura on Queens Street - near Aotea Square. You go downstairs - at weekends you need to book. However if you don't have a booking and they say you can sit at the bar, this is also great as you can see all the cooking being done.
There's also Tanuki's Cave - next door - it's a saki bar rather than a restaurant but they do food - don't take bookings.
( can you tell we love japanese food!)

Shopping - meh! But I have been known to pass a few hours in Newmarket - which is good and also I sort of like Albany.

Don't laugh - but Kelly Tarltons is really good too
The Viaduct is pretty nice for a wander around.
Old Jun 8th 2011, 4:30 am
Not allowed opinions.

Thanks for all this guys, I have printed it out and Misako is busy looking at maps.

We fly in on Sunday, so not long to go.

Again, many thanks.

Ross
Old Jun 9th 2011, 12:27 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

If you go to Sylvia Park, then your first stop should be the Chocolate Lounge (near Pak'n'Save). Order yourself a Belgian Hot Chocolate mug'n'warmer. After that, you're ready for anything
Old Jun 9th 2011, 1:13 am
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
( can you tell we love japanese food!)

I thought when I married Misako I would get to sample all the good Japanese foods. Instead she loves Europeak cooking, and says Japanese is boring!