Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things that cost more in NZ than in the UK....

Things that cost more in NZ than in the UK....

Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:53 am
CyndsandChris

Lightbulb Things that cost more in NZ than in the UK....

Hi there...

What sort of things should we bring with us rather than buy in NZ?

We have bikes, a computer, books etc which we think are essential but are willing to part with them if we can buy the same for the same price (or less) in NZ....

Any advice welcomed!

Have a great day!
CyndsandChris

Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:08 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Things that cost more in NZ than in the UK....

Originally Posted by CyndsandChris
Hi there...

We have bikes, a computer, books etc which we think are essential but are willing to part with them if we can buy the same for the same price (or less) in NZ....

Any advice welcomed!

Have a great day!
CyndsandChris
Ok, this subject has had a lot of discussion in the past. We moved here from UK and had a budget for our container consignment so we divided up the things to take and the things to sell.
Remember that when you sell, you obviousley don't get what you paid for it, so it means you have to buy new, unless you are willing to search and wait for something secondhand when you get here (this rarely happens!)

It takes time and we are still finding out now after 2 years, that you will undoubtedly say "bugger!.....i wish i'd brought my (whatever) with me!"
If i had a dollar for every time i've said this, i would have had enough to have brought the lot......and that's what we wish we'd done!!!!
We left, 3 piece suite, garden furniture, my welder, ladders. (i know some of that sounds stupid to leave, tell me about it.... thought we were saving money!
It has and still is costing us a heap, because most things we have had to replace with new stuff. My advice is bring the lot, you'll need it! But that's my advice.
NZ is generally cheaper than UK and don't be drawn into the trap of converting to UK pounds and vice versa, because it doesn't give a true valuation, there are too many variable between countries and cost of living.

Good luck!
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:38 am
CyndsandChris

Thanks! Will try to convince my husband that we should bring it all with us!!! Wish me luck!

Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Paint and wall paper.

Gill
Old Mar 30th 2005, 9:43 am
Non-addicted member!

garrisondamn will become famous soon enoughgarrisondamn will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gill and Rob
Paint and wall paper.

Gill
Bloody right! been painting inside house this summer, costs a bloody fortune. Rip off Resene, go to Guthrie Bowrons. Sad eh!
Old Mar 30th 2005, 11:18 am
Forum Regular

Sally1 will become famous soon enoughSally1 will become famous soon enough

Silly question, but would you be able to bring paint over with you? We have just got married and have loads of B&Q vouchers which we won't end up spending before we come to NZ. Could you buy paint and ship it over or would you get hit with import duties etc?
Old Mar 30th 2005, 12:34 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there...

Any advice welcomed!

Have a great day!
CyndsandChris
From memory: Bring new Levis and any other brand name clothing and leathers. Brand name levis were like 3x the price they were in Australia when I left NZ and went to OZ
Old Mar 30th 2005, 2:48 pm
CyndsandChris

Originally Posted by kiwichild
From memory: Bring new Levis and any other brand name clothing and leathers. Brand name levis were like 3x the price they were in Australia when I left NZ and went to OZ
Note to self:
Must start wearing brand names so I can have them to bring with me! Will that save me money?

LOL
Cynds

Old Mar 30th 2005, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

SteveDK is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there...

Any advice welcomed!

Have a great day!
CyndsandChris
I read on a thread elsewhere that bikes are very expensive in NZ.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:53 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SteveDK
I read on a thread elsewhere that bikes are very expensive in NZ.
The second most expensive place in the world ,just behind Australia.That is bicycles though and bicycle parts, not motorbikes.Motorcycles?Dirt bikes are slightly cheaper, road bikes about the same but atv(quad bikes) are cheaper here than the UK but are far more expensive here in NZ than the USA,Honda are a total rip off at near 40% more for the same atv!
Concrete and cement are also more expensive here in NZ, in the south even more so.
The one huge price gap is in houses and building.For some reason, and i havn't quite got to the bottom of it, is it costs between 24-30% more to build the same house in the South as it does anywhere north of Christchurch.Anyhow, it is more expensive to build here than the UK,like for like.Quality?thats another thing altogether.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 6:57 pm
Inverted Firkin Inventor

Watt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to beholdWatt Dabney is a splendid one to behold

We left, 3 piece suite, garden furniture, my welder, ladders. (i know some of that sounds stupid to leave, tell me about it.... thought we were saving money!

Don't talk to us about welders! Ian virtually gave his away, along with loads of other stuff which we still miss. We bought a 20ft container and thought we were doing well, but we should have brought more. Were doing a job in the garden the other day struggling with one shovel, thinking back to all the garden tools we left behind1

Paula
Old Mar 30th 2005, 8:26 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Note to self:
Must start wearing brand names so I can have them to bring with me! Will that save me money?

LOL
Cynds
Hehehe - That's a great idea. Sounds like just the sort of logic I use on my hubby when I want to spend money we don't have
Old Mar 31st 2005, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

fran & edd is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought a 20ft container and thought we were doing well, but we should have brought more.

Paula[/QUOTE]

Am reading these threads with great interest as trying to decide how much to ship over ourselves! Been trying to price furniture on the web..hardly any decent online shopping (slight worry self confessed mild shopaholic..do realise lifestyle will be different) and most websites have no prices for some bizarre reason,whats that all about??

how much furniture did you manage to fit into your 20ft container? And if you dont mind my asking what did it cost? We've had a quote for taking everything (from 2 bed flat) of £3,400.. which seems expensive (waiting for other quotes to arrive)

Frances
Old Mar 31st 2005, 4:00 pm
CyndsandChris

[/QUOTE]

We've had a quote for taking everything (from 2 bed flat) of £3,400..

Frances[/QUOTE]

OH MY GOSH!!! :scared:

Old Mar 31st 2005, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Cassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura aboutCassa has a spectacular aura about

We've had a quote for taking everything (from 2 bed flat) of £3,400..

Frances[/QUOTE]

OH MY GOSH!!! :scared: [/QUOTE]

It makes a difference who you use. We used Crown. They were about £3K for a 20ft cont but they were GREAT. So amazed with the service. Friends of ours used another company and paid the same and their service was awful and they had lots of broken things. We had nothing. Its all in the way the pack everything for you (you have to do nothing at all)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.