British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Things to buy outside of NZ to bring with flight? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/things-buy-outside-nz-bring-flight-882795/)

JohnLH Sep 4th 2016 4:21 am

Things to buy outside of NZ to bring with flight?

Are there any items that are smart to buy outside of NZ to bring in? (For example before moving to NZ or while on vacation outside of the country), Such as things that are hard to find or unusually expensive in NZ?

For example my research has lead me to believe it's better to buy a water filtration system (to remove fluoride from tap water) outside of NZ, as the selection seems very limited in NZ. (Just an example of item that are seemingly better purchased outside of NZ, THIS IS NOT A THREAD ABOUT DISCUSSING FLOURIDE)

Bo-Jangles Sep 4th 2016 5:03 am

Re: Things to buy outside of NZ to bring with flight?

There's lot of things you could bring with your shipping but never heard of anyone mention water filters per se as somethng to bring in their luggage or in the container for that matter. The topic of flouridation is a bit of a hot potato: if you live outside of main centres it's a moot point as a lot of places are on tank water and fluoride will be the last of your worries anyway. Many districts have already opted out.

Is my town fluoridated? - fluoride free NZ

JohnLH Sep 4th 2016 5:23 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 12043144)
it's a moot point as a lot of places are on tank water and fluoride will be the last of your worries anyway.

Ah flouride is just an example of one of the things a water filter removes, but it would remove all those other things you're implying about as well. But yes you are right bringing in luggage is a bit extreme, a good one is 13 kgs.

Anyway water filter is the only thing Iv'e found to be extremely difficult to find in NZ, so I'm looking for other ideas as well.

barnsleymat Sep 4th 2016 6:22 am

Cucumbers.

Bring a 21kg suitcase of em.

MrsFychan Sep 4th 2016 8:27 pm

decent shoes, stock up on decent clothes, but nothing to posh. buy a kindle, if you don't already have one and set up an amazon account for it, books are expensive.
If you bank with Barclays make sure you bring the stupid pin sentry thing and don't close your UK bank account.

and as already stated cucumbers, but you might have to stash them somewhere as not sure if you are allowed to bring them through customs.

MrsFychan Sep 4th 2016 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12043174)
Cucumbers.

:goodpost:

BEVS Sep 4th 2016 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by barnsleymat (Post 12043174)
Cucumbers.

:goodpost:

Originally Posted by JohnLH (Post 12043152)
Anyway water filter is the only thing Iv'e found to be extremely difficult to find in NZ, so I'm looking for other ideas as well.

Bit puzzled on this one. We use a water filter and have never had an issue getting one. There again husband is a plumber.

Are you asking about items to bring in your own container for your own personal use?

Or are you asking what is in short supply in NZ with a view to retail.

simonsi Sep 5th 2016 1:10 am

There are per se many items you <could> bring that will be cheaper to buy outside NZ but thats not a hugely sensible way to look at things I don't think.

For instance anything that uses consumable parts (filters for example), you had better ensure there is a local supply otherwise it will be a doorstop in a short time. Other items will hugely depend on their usefulness as to the sort of property/lifestyle you end up with, the risk of bringing over something you don't end up using is quite high - especially if you are considering minor infrastructure like water filtration in my opinion, thats not like choosing to bring a new bicycle for example that you know you will use once here...

I'd save your money to spend on the inevitable "something" that you end up actually needing and have no choice but an expensive locally-sourced item...

snaps Sep 5th 2016 5:24 am

Most items are available, but NZ is maybe a little short choice for clothes. I would suggest that you may be visiting Kathmandu frequently for lots of outdoor wear, they have frequent sales as well as Briscoes and the ever open Warehouse for just about everything else.

Kotare Sep 5th 2016 8:47 am

In May on a flying visit I brought back a telescope (OTA), a chicken incubator, a solar pond pump, walking boots from Mountain Warehouse (and other shoes), fleeces and polos, aspirin/TCP from Boots, Marmite, books.... does that help :-) We did fly out with near empty cases other than presents so had a net 50 odd kg to play with.

j19fmm Sep 7th 2016 8:34 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12043618)
decent shoes

Unless you are planning on living in a warm part of NZ where you wear sandals all year round....none of my lovely shoes fit my feet anymore, my feet are too wide from being free from confinement!!!

Kotare Sep 7th 2016 8:41 am

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 12045599)

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12043618)
decent shoes

Unless you are planning on living in a warm part of NZ where you wear sandals all year round....none of my lovely shoes fit my feet anymore, my feet are too wide from being free from confinement!!!

I thought teachers wore Doc Martens - it is beachcombing in Matauri Bay that does it.

j19fmm Sep 7th 2016 8:44 am

Originally Posted by Kotare (Post 12045607)

I thought teachers wore Doc Martens - it is beachcombing in Matauri Bay that does it.

Haha, not this one! I've only worn a pair of shoes to school once so far this year :p

JohnLH Sep 8th 2016 1:06 pm

thanks for the answers, I first asked on NZ reddit and haha what a bunch of losers over there.

Useful about the shoes, since I'm planning on doing lots of hiking. However I don't understand those sandals/barefoot comments.

Lisa Maree Sep 8th 2016 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by JohnLH (Post 12046731)

Useful about the shoes, since I'm planning on doing lots of hiking. However I don't understand those sandals/barefoot comments.

Kiwi's are notoriously casual, no doubt you will find some classy citizen wandering around the supermarket in their PJ's with bare feet before too long!

My friends are always lamenting their kids loosing shoes, they get in the classroom and off come the shoes!

So yes hiking boots great for purpose, every other situation trainers or flip flops!