Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things to buy outside of NZ to bring with flight?

Things to buy outside of NZ to bring with flight?

Old Sep 8th 2016, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Things to buy outside of NZ to bring with flight?

I have stocked up on all sorts of lotions and potions while they have been BOGOF at Superdrug / Boots but other than that, everyone has new ish clothes - in particular the kids, new Velcro sandals, current size plus size up in trainers from Decathlon and a really cute Gruffalo tin from Yorkshire Tea all to go in the luggage , other than that I've replaced all our bedding and towels, lots of new kitchen things (oven trays, stick blender, glass wear etc) and want to get an upright cordless vacuum cleaner, oh and the new xbox being released soon will go in... we got new phones as well, Kindles last year and iPad last year too so we should be good for a little while. Basically we have worked on the principal of making sure our basic household items are all good for the next five years or so but don't really have the cash to go mad I guess.
Old Sep 8th 2016, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Birkenstocks are good quality sandals and affordable in the UK, but trip before last we saw some in Wellington priced as a luxury import.

You probably own most or all of the clothing that you will need unless you plan to take up a new sport or hobby.

There are probably consumables (wonder if it is feasible to fill a shipping container with Heinz baked beans? 50p a tin over here). However you will sooner or later run out and then you will just have to buy locally.

To make it worth while shipping it really has to be a big ticket item like a caravan (if the price/exchange rate is favourable).
Old Sep 8th 2016, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond reputeKotare has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Birkenstocks are good quality sandals and affordable in the UK, but trip before last we saw some in Wellington priced as a luxury import.

You probably own most or all of the clothing that you will need unless you plan to take up a new sport or hobby.
'Snap' my wife bought three pairs of Birkenstocks in uk which was a shock.

But don't assume that everything is more expensive in NZ, do a google trawl as many items are similarly priced to uk (especially in sales) eg my wife was buying this seasons casual fashion tops at £25 each yesterday, in Germany/France they would have been double that.

There is no obvious reason why some commodities are so highly priced eg paint, car tyres....
Old Sep 9th 2016, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly can't think of a single thing.
Oh maybe stuff your container full of carpet rolls as that can be like taking out a second mortgage for if you want to buy new.
Even my yearnings for Ikea have waned over time, I suppose you just forget and learn to live with what's available here or buy online as you need to .. or you learn the local 'knowledge' of places to buy.
They use woodburners a lot over here to heat houses (including us), they're pretty boring and basic so maybe bring a nice ornate one of those cast iron ones complete with flue in your container and if you don't use it you can always sell it.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 5:41 am
BE Enthusiast

SSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond reputeSSky has a reputation beyond repute

Cucumbers are very easy to grow, so I wouldn't stress about those.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JohnLH
However I don't understand those sandals/barefoot comments.
If you spend a lot of time either barefoot or wearing flat jandals then your feet spread and the more delicate European shoes become too narrow 😁
My 17 year old son went to buy new running shoes and had to ask for a larger size. He was told they are made for the narrower European foot. ..heck, his feet have changed nationality 😊
Old Sep 9th 2016, 8:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lisa Maree

So yes hiking boots great for purpose, every other situation trainers or flip flops!

Depends what you do for a living and whether you actually like flip flops and trainers. Presently Converse / Keds style plimmsols and Skechers Go Walk things seem to be the primary footwear of choice

I hate flip flops with a passion and despite hearsay to the contrary most people do wear boots, proper shoes or sandals for work.

If you appreciate 'proper' formal, good quality / basic leather shoes then yes do stock up, as you will weep at the choice and prices here. Alternatively if you don't give a rats arse for a good shoe No1 Shoe warehouse is the place to go for wall to ceiling mecca of tacky cheap, plastic crappy 'fashion' shoes and jandals.
Old Sep 9th 2016, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

maquis is an unknown quantity at this point

... Basically we have worked on the principal of making sure our basic household items are all good for the next five years or so but don't really have the cash to go mad I guess.
Oh, you sound super organised!! I feel like we're lurching from one panic to another. Currently attempting to complete the insurance inventory forms.

Kids all need socks, shoes, more clothes. Meanwhile, my antique welsh dresser arrived today, and second-hand book buying going well #priorities
Old Sep 9th 2016, 9:02 pm
Forum Regular

Lisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of lightLisa Maree is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by maquis
Oh, you sound super organised!! I feel like we're lurching from one panic to another. Currently attempting to complete the insurance inventory forms.
Funny enough it was a post on here that alerted me to M&S having 25% off bedding / towels so I splashed out! Also put alerts on camel camel camel for Amazon bits and grab them when they drop in price - got Pyrex oven trays, roasting dishes, glass bowls and jugs half price-ish.

Six weeks to go and only just booked our shipping so really, really not organised... I just like buying new stuff lol
Old Sep 9th 2016, 9:55 pm
Forum Regular

maquis is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe just more organised than me! Shippers arrive Thursday, only confirmed them last week. Will be glad when that's done.
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 3:07 am
Just Joined

JohnLH is an unknown quantity at this point

I have stocked up on all sorts of lotions and potions while they have been BOGOF at Superdrug / Boots but other than that, everyone has new ish clothes - in particular the kids, new Velcro sandals, current size plus size up in trainers from Decathlon and a really cute Gruffalo tin from Yorkshire Tea all to go in the luggage , other than that I've replaced all our bedding and towels, lots of new kitchen things (oven trays, stick blender, glass wear etc) and want to get an upright cordless vacuum cleaner, oh and the new xbox being released soon will go in... we got new phones as well, Kindles last year and iPad last year too so we should be good for a little while. Basically we have worked on the principal of making sure our basic household items are all good for the next five years or so but don't really have the cash to go mad I guess.
Nice, good stuff!
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 9:53 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Lisa Maree - hope you are bringing your own bed and mattress then as mattresses over here seem to be different size to the uk.

In New Zealand, these are:
Single 915 x 1880 mm.
King Single 1070 x 2030 mm.
Double 1380 x 1880 mm.
Queen 1530 x 2030mm.
King 1650 x 2030 mm.
Super King 1830 x 2030 mm

1 piece mattress in standard UK sizes
Metric (cm)
Single 900 x 1900
Double 1350 x 1900
King 1500 x 2000
Super king 1800 x 2000
Old Sep 23rd 2016, 10:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Lisa Maree - hope you are bringing your own bed and mattress then as mattresses over here seem to be different size to the uk.
Yep that's why I stocked up! Should cover us for the next few years use of the bed and then there is always international delivery from M&S!

I've spend so much money this month, I'm getting serious frownage from the husband... should I risk further ire by getting a cordless upright vacuum cleaner that will be in storage for a year or should I just wait and get one once we are all settled late 2017??

I think my desire to buy all the things and go all the places and see all the people is normal for someone leaving potentially forever right???