Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things to bring in Luggage

Things to bring in Luggage

Old Jan 3rd 2010, 11:34 pm
  #1  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Numptyhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Waikato
Posts: 525
Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Things to bring in Luggage

Hi

We have been here 8 weeks now and I know I don't post like I used to. We are all very happy but soooo busy.

I was replying to a message to Tina (willandtina) and thought it would be a good idea to post a list of stuff that would be really useful in your luggage on arrival and until your containers arrive. It will have been 12 weeks by the time ours arrives. This list is not exhaustive and everyone to their own...obviously.

Cutlery (one set for each of you)
2 sharp knives
can opener
a cup each
camping plates and bowls

4 teatowels
4 bath towels
2 old towels for using as bath mats etc

Bedding (Manchester). Duvets and pillows can be purchased here (The Warehouse). Sheets and duvets covers are unnecessary expense if you have a stack in shipping.

When we first arrived i really missed filter coffee at home. Filter coffee pots are very cheap in the UK not so here. $79 and thats if you can find them. I bought an old one from a secondhand shop and sterilised it. Cost $10. I have bought loads of kitchen bits from the secondhand place, some stuff better than I have coming

Travel adaptors (UK to NZ sockets). Most plugs are cheap and easy to change but small appliances with the big sealed power supply plugs on the end can't be changed so you do need an adaptor for these. We brought a radio with one of these.

Landline phone or set

Cheap iron that doesn't weigh too much. I brought a travel iron over with us but pretty useless really. I have ended up buying a great secondhand one.

We didn't use all our luggage allowance which was a bit silly really

All the best to those of you about to make the giant leap

x
Numptyhead is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 11:40 pm
  #2  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: bottom of the world
Posts: 4,024
Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to bring in Luggage

for coffe stuff go to briscoes.
If its too expensive wait a week and it will be
on sale for 40-50% off.
Everything is Briscoes goes on sale every couple of weeks.
We bought curtains from there and a week later they went on offer
for 50% off.
We took them down, took them back then bought them again. we saved $500.

I'm not sure how sharp knives in your luggage would go down at the airport ??
Justcol is offline  
Old Jan 3rd 2010, 11:49 pm
  #3  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Numptyhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Waikato
Posts: 525
Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to bring in Luggage

Originally Posted by colandros View Post
for coffe stuff go to briscoes.
If its too expensive wait a week and it will be
on sale for 40-50% off.
Everything is Briscoes goes on sale every couple of weeks.
We bought curtains from there and a week later they went on offer
for 50% off.
We took them down, took them back then bought them again. we saved $500.

I'm not sure how sharp knives in your luggage would go down at the airport ??
LOL. Sharp knives were fine in my hold luggage wrapped in cardboard...not hand luggage. No problems and all luggage was scanned out of the UK and also on arrival in NZ.

The ones in Briscoes start out at $149 so 50% off still isn't that cheap when you can buy them for 20 quid in the UK. They used to be ten a penny in NZ but in recent years people have favoured the expresso type coffee machines so the old filter type are not as readily available now.
Numptyhead is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2010, 1:36 am
  #4  
If u see Sid, tell 'im...
 
sirplug's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
Posts: 973
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to bring in Luggage

So, with a list like that, where do the clothes go?!?!?!!?
sirplug is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2010, 7:08 am
  #5  
Somewhere
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 34,843
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to bring in Luggage

This is a great idea.

I don't post like I used to. We are all very happy but soooo busy.
Update. Update. Update. ++
BEVS is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2010, 8:27 am
  #6  
BE Enthusiast
 
Psychopandy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Tauranga, BoP, NZ
Posts: 578
Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Things to bring in Luggage

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
This is a great idea.



Update. Update. Update. ++
Thanks Numpty - right on que x Have the suitcases out as we speak - will be all zipped up shortly. was gonna bin my favourite knife - wont do now xx
Psychopandy is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2010, 8:36 am
  #7  
Somewhere
 
BEVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Below
Posts: 34,843
BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to bring in Luggage

and the wings?
BEVS is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:03 am
  #8  
BE Enthusiast
 
Psychopandy's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Tauranga, BoP, NZ
Posts: 578
Psychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to beholdPsychopandy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Things to bring in Luggage

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
and the wings?
i have packed the wings already x figure i will let the plane take the strain this time x
Psychopandy is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2010, 9:11 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
weejie's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: Dunedin
Posts: 1,383
weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to bring in Luggage

We were in hotel for 2 weeks then rental....stuff moved in same day we did. BUT we did bring in luggage
Bottle opener
Hairdryer
Books
laptop
radio ( but was a digital one and it did not work! )
travel games
decent knives ( OH could not bare to leave them)
towels
adaptors
landline phone
tea ( OH likes leaves and we had a load left so just brought it and declared....had no problem at customs)

There was more but can't remember now

Phyl x
weejie is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2010, 10:13 am
  #10  
MnB
 
MnB's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Welly UK to Welly NZ to Welly UK
Posts: 2,227
MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to bring in Luggage


Great idea ...thanks for starting this Maria, would add 'Afterbite' for those pesky sandflies....
B x
MnB is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2010, 10:49 am
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
Thread Starter
 
Numptyhead's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Waikato
Posts: 525
Numptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond reputeNumptyhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to bring in Luggage

Originally Posted by sirplug View Post
So, with a list like that, where do the clothes go?!?!?!!?
We brought over loads of clothes, which really aren't necessary. In the past 8 weeks we have probably used 35% of what we packed. Clothes are washed and dried on the line so quickly. God I love New Zealand

Oh yes......Thank you Barb.... 'afterbite'. Its a stinky ammonia based liquid which is brill on insect bites and not available here. Well worth getting a few of these coz they are not going to go off and seem to completely neutralise the bite if put on straight away.

Good insect repellants would be worth bringing over with you if you find them cheap. Over here we started by using Aeroguard which smells awful but does work. I now prefer 'OFF' in a spray bottle (not aerosol). It has the best scent so no hassle to put it on when needed. For me its mainly when gardening or sitting out on the balcony in the evening. Lots of folk here appear to use the automatic spray insect repellants doted around the house. We have three around the house and they really work. Our back door is open until it goes dark and we don't have a problem in the house.
OH still gets bitten to death when he is in the garden, but he doesn't put the repellant on and then moans about being bitten....Duh! He is follicly (is there such a word) challenged and one bit him right in the middle of his head....so funny!
Numptyhead is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2010, 12:52 pm
  #12  
appreciate life
 
willand tina_h's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Papamoa New Zealand and loving it so far.
Posts: 678
willand tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of lightwilland tina_h is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Things to bring in Luggage

Originally Posted by Numptyhead View Post
Hi

We have been here 8 weeks now and I know I don't post like I used to. We are all very happy but soooo busy.

I was replying to a message to Tina (willandtina) and thought it would be a good idea to post a list of stuff that would be really useful in your luggage on arrival and until your containers arrive. It will have been 12 weeks by the time ours arrives. This list is not exhaustive and everyone to their own...obviously.

Cutlery (one set for each of you)
2 sharp knives
can opener
a cup each
camping plates and bowls

4 teatowels
4 bath towels
2 old towels for using as bath mats etc

Bedding (Manchester). Duvets and pillows can be purchased here (The Warehouse). Sheets and duvets covers are unnecessary expense if you have a stack in shipping.

When we first arrived i really missed filter coffee at home. Filter coffee pots are very cheap in the UK not so here. $79 and thats if you can find them. I bought an old one from a secondhand shop and sterilised it. Cost $10. I have bought loads of kitchen bits from the secondhand place, some stuff better than I have coming

Travel adaptors (UK to NZ sockets). Most plugs are cheap and easy to change but small appliances with the big sealed power supply plugs on the end can't be changed so you do need an adaptor for these. We brought a radio with one of these.

Landline phone or set

Cheap iron that doesn't weigh too much. I brought a travel iron over with us but pretty useless really. I have ended up buying a great secondhand one.

We didn't use all our luggage allowance which was a bit silly really

All the best to those of you about to make the giant leap

x
Hi,

thanks for the info, guess what we have only found a house to rent for about 8 weeks untill our container arrives, so we can take our time in finding the right area, rental and schools for the boys So happy and a mega thanks to the one who has allowed us rent their property

i am so much more relaxed now, as the thought of a motel for however many days and then rushing and taking the first house we see just to secure some where and get outa the motel. Lovely little place in Papamoa right by the beach too, cant get any better. the best thing of all is that we can live properly as we are stuggling in the Uk with nothing, so would be so much worse when in NZ and alone Happy days for us, things just seem to be slotting into place so nicely. Plus its the little ones 13th tomorrow having a disco and leaving party so busy with that, then its all steam ahead less tahn 2 weeks left in work OMG!!!!!

Sounds like you are so setteld already hun??

Dont think you are far away from us so I cannot wiat untill the next meet up to actually meet everyone and say thanks inperson for the help and support we have received from all of you.

Tina. x
willand tina_h is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2010, 2:59 pm
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
Margaret Parkinson's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Tyldesley Manchester UK
Posts: 1,095
Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to bring in Luggage

Originally Posted by willand tina_h View Post
Hi,

thanks for the info, guess what we have only found a house to rent for about 8 weeks untill our container arrives, so we can take our time in finding the right area, rental and schools for the boys So happy and a mega thanks to the one who has allowed us rent their property

i am so much more relaxed now, as the thought of a motel for however many days and then rushing and taking the first house we see just to secure some where and get outa the motel. Lovely little place in Papamoa right by the beach too, cant get any better. the best thing of all is that we can live properly as we are stuggling in the Uk with nothing, so would be so much worse when in NZ and alone Happy days for us, things just seem to be slotting into place so nicely. Plus its the little ones 13th tomorrow having a disco and leaving party so busy with that, then its all steam ahead less tahn 2 weeks left in work OMG!!!!!

Sounds like you are so setteld already hun??

Dont think you are far away from us so I cannot wiat untill the next meet up to actually meet everyone and say thanks inperson for the help and support we have received from all of you.

Tina. x
Well its all systems go for you now Tina. I see you fly on the 22nd we fly on the 23rd but sadly its only for a holiday. You never know we may bump into you in Papamoa, as I have mentioned before that's where my family are and can't wait to see them again.
Margaret Parkinson is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2010, 7:28 pm
  #14  
BE Enthusiast
 
MooMoo290373's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Reading Berkshire - to Papamoa Beach
Posts: 413
MooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to bring in Luggage

Hi Tina

Excellent news about the rental, was gonna pm you, but it won`t allow it
Not long now till you fly so when you up to meeting up for that coffee let me know
MooMoo290373 is offline  
Old Jan 4th 2010, 7:34 pm
  #15  
BE Enthusiast
 
MooMoo290373's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Reading Berkshire - to Papamoa Beach
Posts: 413
MooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond reputeMooMoo290373 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things to bring in Luggage

We brought in our luggage.

Hairdryer/straightners
Tin Opener
Potato Peeler
Laptop
4 - way Extension leads - just changed the end to kiwi plug ( so we did`nt have to change all plugs right away)
Xbox and a few games
Will add the rest when they spring to mind !!!!
MooMoo290373 is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.