Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things that annoy you about NZ but aren't really that important!

Things that annoy you about NZ but aren't really that important!

Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:20 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Things that annoy you about NZ but aren't really that important!

Originally Posted by luvwelly
I>M>E the weather is nowhere near as bad as Crapcoffee makes out. The last 10 days in Winter have been little wind, blue skies and sunshine. It has very high sunshine hours even by NZ standards.
Agree I've had good weather when I've been and I don't care I love Wellington for a good night and morning hehe in Courtney place! Only place where it feels normal
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by love30stm
Agree I've had good weather when I've been and I don't care I love Wellington for a good night and morning hehe in Courtney place! Only place where it feels normal
Still gets a bit much (or rather not enough ) after several years.

There isn't that much that annoys me on a minor level..its the bigger stuff that makes me glad I am not here forever. I don't like the accent but can accept it, they are entitled to their own version of English like all other English-speaking countries. Coop for Coupe car (=coupay) cracks me up though.

The only minor thing which still niggles regularly..even though I should know better and leave the house earlier..is that so many cafes stop serving lunch at 2pm even at weekend....happily in Wellington there are some that serve later and so if we get our act together late we have to go further afield where we know they will still serve food mid-afternoon.
But as a general point I still find the fallow period between cafes closing around 3pm and restaurants opening at 6pm for the evening irritating...the only places open in between tend to be fastfood joints. So life must be ok if that is the main thing that grates on a regular basis.

Last edited by luvwelly; Aug 3rd 2011 at 10:45 pm.
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:12 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Still gets a bit much (or rather not enough ) after several years.

There isn't that much that annoys me on a minor level..its the bigger stuff that makes me glad I am not here forever. I don't like the accent but can accept it, they are entitled to their own version of English like all other English-speaking countries. Coop for Coupe car (=coupay) cracks me up though.

The only minor thing which still niggles regularly..even though I should know better and leave the house earlier..is that so many cafes stop serving lunch at 2pm even at weekend....happily in Wellington there are some that serve later and so if we get our act together late we have to go further afield where we know they will still serve food mid-afternoon.
But as a general point I still find the fallow period between cafes closing around 3pm and restaurants opening at 6pm for the evening irritating...the only places open in between tend to be fastfood joints. So life must be ok if that is the main thing that grates on a regular basis.
Yeah agree with you on the kiwi accent it does nothing for me
and i only go to Wellington about 4 times a year for a weekend, usually with 3 other women that leave the other half and kids at home that's why i appreciate Wellington and what it has to offer, living there permanent i would have course not be going to Courtney place every weekend! maybe a bit too much i guess and really i should not be doing clubbing and stuff you know at my age and because im married (that's a kiwi housewife view )

must admit met lots of english and american when out and about so thats good
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:45 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

A couple have already mentioned debut and women, Dubai is the same, drives me mad!

Clingfilm/ gladwrap that doesn't 'cling'. It is possible to make it so why not in NZ?

Overtaking and then indicating that they intend to return to the left side of the road. Do I really think you're going to stay on the right? Just seems a waste of time especially given that the use of indicators when it would really make a difference is somewhat erratic. Just a petty little annoyance for me and probably no one else

Saying 'how are you?' ' Good, thanks' constantly. A friendly hello and a smile is enough for me. I do say it at work as I feel I have to but it is superfluous and probably doesn't sound that sincere half the time...
Old Aug 3rd 2011, 11:48 pm
Forum Regular

Debbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud ofDebbie2NZ has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dustybin
Mark Sainsbury starting every bloody interview with the work 'LOOK', and just for having a face I would never get bored of punching..

The 'scandanavian flick' that many drivers feel they need to do in order to turn left...

Not being able to buy spirits in the supermarket..

Labelling cheese "Tasty' with no sense of irony...

All 'Glad' products. Why the hell would cooking a chicken in a bag give be better living.

Family Health Diary adverts..

the sign on the way out of chch that says 'motorway' the disapointment gets me every time..

being able to get a 'mild' vindaloo....

short people with umbrellas, oh yeah thats not just in nz, still gets on my nipples though..
100% agree with the above, even if I don't know what a Scandinavian flick is. I can't stand that Sainsbury bloke, we have 'the muppet' instead i.e. Campbell on Campbell Live. Also agree with being annoyed with them pronouncing debut as dayboo, it's an American habit. Why can't they say championships ? What's the deal with saying champs ? Also, they say dub dub dub for an internet site addres not www. Sorry about the umbrella, I'm only 5'2". I don't seem to mind the accent (most of the time) I guess I'm used to it after 17 years of marriage to a kiwi !
Hope I don't get a frown from Happy In NZ, it might give the game away.

Last edited by Debbie2NZ; Aug 3rd 2011 at 11:53 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 12:00 am
Forum Regular

judes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura aboutjudes has a spectacular aura about

stupid stop signs in the middle of nowhere
Old Aug 4th 2011, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

cappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond reputecappuccino has a reputation beyond repute

I know it has already been mentioned but those breakfast radio 'family' stations that discuss totally unsuitable topics at the time when kids are in the car on the way to school - geez, even I cringe and I am not carrying a kiddy cargo!

TV talk progs where they have such informal use of the language, including swearing.

I have just enrolled on a course at Vic Uni to learn about why Kiwis call ferries 'fairies' and other such delightful mispronunciations
Like SHOW-E-N, KNOW-E-N etc..

Oh and another pet hate - the subtle racism even when they don't think they are being racist.

Last edited by cappuccino; Aug 4th 2011 at 1:43 am.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 12:45 am
Account Closed

fayemd is an unknown quantity at this point

Dicing with death everytime you drive on a motorway as cars UNDERTAKE you. WTH
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Luckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of lightLuckybird is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cappuccino
I know it has already been mentioned but those breakfast radio 'family' stations that discuss totally unsuitable topics
and the adverts on the Radio......'Do you have Erectile Disfunction?'....my 18 year olds face was a collection of these...... .....I still laugh everytime I think about it!! ...although I fear he may be scarred for life!!!
Old Aug 4th 2011, 7:45 am
Forum Regular

faye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fayemd
Dicing with death everytime you drive on a motorway as cars UNDERTAKE you. WTH
Unfortunately it's allowed over here - if you are on a dual carriageway or motorway you can pass on the left!
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

zealous enforcement of trivial driving misdemeanors, whilst completely missing the "big picture" (i.e. general incompetence and carp roads)
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:49 am
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by faye_h
Unfortunately it's allowed over here - if you are on a dual carriageway or motorway you can pass on the left!
You can only pass on the left when:

* there are two or more lanes on your side of the centre line and you are able to pass safely by using the left-hand lane
* you are directed to by a police officer
* the vehicle you are passing:
o has stopped, or
o is signalling a right turn, or
o is turning right.

At all other times, when you are passing, you must pass on the right.

From NZ Road Code...are you in NZ ? Is this correct?
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

Been here nearly two weeks... have read some posts so apologies if its a repeat... here is my small list (so far!).

- Text on roads reading backwards (I keep reading Bus Lane as Lane Bus etc.); whats the point? Its bloody irritating

- Generally crap signs on roads, no flow from one junction to the next

- Informing me the two lanes go to one after they have gone to one!

- As above for loads of signs (e.g. turning for motorway... oops you've missed it... like rubbing salt in the wound)

- I said before I haven't experience bad driving... but now I have... the obsession with not letting you in when you are indicating... the bastards accelerate... so I force the issue and brake test them

- Cars are predominantly automatic

- People coming to fill my car with fuel... I CAN DO IT MYSELF THANKS!

- no compulsory insurance and complaining of 18yr olds killing themselves in they're V8's and wondering what they can do... well d'oh... compulsory insurance means they can't afford to drive them!

Thats it for now lol
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

not so sure about the compulsory insurance - I've always had a problem with the govt forcing you to enter into a contract with a private company

if you're going to have compulsory insurance i think it should be pooled and included in the tax disc/rego
Old Aug 4th 2011, 8:57 am
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

Either way... as long as its linked to your age and the power of car you drive thats fine! Otherwise it wouldnt solve the issue!

Apart from those small gripes (and they are small) we're really, really enjoying our time here so far!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.