Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Things that annoy you about NZ but aren't really that important!

Things that annoy you about NZ but aren't really that important!

Old Aug 4th 2011, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of
Default Re: Things that annoy you about NZ but aren't really that important!

Originally Posted by rick78

- People coming to fill my car with fuel... I CAN DO IT MYSELF THANKS!
I would have to agree with this quote. My father-in-law was always amused at how I would [I]race[I]to the pump before the attendant could get there. We'd then spend the journey debating service and self-service.

I'm glad that you are enjoying your time in NZ.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 9:34 am
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

Yeah its weird... I find in Auckland at least there are more people employed than the UK to do some things, but less for others.

Example... fuel stations, people attempting to fill your car... at Roadworks with guys holding lollipops...

And less... I saw a really cool dustbin lorry with a robotic arm... we pulled over and watched it work... it was awesome.

Its what makes the world interesting!

Yeah we're loving it so far... work starts on Monday!
Old Aug 4th 2011, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

martyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud ofmartyc has much to be proud of

Where my in laws live the dustcarts are manned by a few men but they have to sprint after the cart because it dosn't stop. My husband says that it is a popular job on the side for some rugby players as it keeps them fit. It would be really funny to see our local binmen try - bless em!

Lucky you to be living in Titirangi. It's my favourite place in Auckland and is hopefully where we will be headed next year.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 9:46 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thedtb
Radio Stations.

On the way 2 school the other morning. Kids (6yrs old and under) in the car, radio on. DJ's discuss religion, proceed 2 diss judaism, then discuss why some men aren't always "up for" sex, then play a song containing the (repeated) lyrics, "don't let the bastards get you down", uncensored.

In what civilised country would any of that be remotely acceptable??
France - they play songs with lyrics in English and uncensored versions. Hence, my very young children heard songs with the 'f' word and worse when we went on holiday there.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 9:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Paul Henry
Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Paul Henry
Paul Holmes is worse.
Old Aug 4th 2011, 11:37 am
Account Closed

billingham is an unknown quantity at this point

Lack of customer service - wrong thread -that is actually quite important.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rick78
- People coming to fill my car with fuel... I CAN DO IT MYSELF THANKS!
hats it for now lol
I love this....keeps people in jobs and takes me back to my 1960s UK childhood before it went self-service.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:15 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by billingham
Lack of customer service - wrong thread -that is actually quite important.
I have always had great customer service here except at the car compound! It's all relative though, I was in a country with awful service ( not UK) just before I came here.
It's easier to get good service when you have a common language as well I feel.
I got some bad service in Australia when on holiday though.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

faye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Stormer999
You can only pass on the left when:

* there are two or more lanes on your side of the centre line and you are able to pass safely by using the left-hand lane
* you are directed to by a police officer
* the vehicle you are passing:
o has stopped, or
o is signalling a right turn, or
o is turning right.

At all other times, when you are passing, you must pass on the right.

From NZ Road Code...are you in NZ ? Is this correct?
Yep I'm in NZ and this is correct so driving on the motorway is crazy and you can have cars passing you on both sides at once if you're in the middle lane!! And lorry's can use any lane they like which is even scarier especially on the harbour bridge
Old Aug 5th 2011, 9:19 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

I've remember another good driving one (in the South Island, anyway):

Idiots who remain stubbornly in the left lane of the "motorway" when the right lanes are free, forcing traffic entering the "motorway" to come to a complete halt and wait until the idiot has trundled past.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 9:35 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Things that annoy you about NZ but aren't really that important!

I don't like New Zealands geography, it should be one island again and located a hundred more miles north.
Old Aug 5th 2011, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

DC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to beholdDC10 is a splendid one to behold

Yes and preferably flatter, apart from the bona-fide mountains
Old Aug 5th 2011, 10:25 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

The date being pronounded number month, rather than numerical index of month.

(....and I like dub dub dub, life's too short)
We've only got one set of traffic lights in Taupo
Old Aug 5th 2011, 10:23 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Shortland Street

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.