Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

These are probably the greatest Films Ever

These are probably the greatest Films Ever

Old Feb 23rd 2008, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

lizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud oflizard has much to be proud of
Default These are probably the greatest Films Ever

Because I am bored I thought I would tell you guys my favourite top 5 films.

5 - Zulu (UK 60s)- great film when the British empire ruled

4 - The Railway Children (UK 70s)- I know its a kids film but my Dad took me to the pictures to see it when I was small. Thought it was magical then and still do.

3 - Get Carter (UK 70s)- Michael Caine at his Gangstering best. I mean he throws Alf Roberts of a multi storey carpark.

2 - Its a Wonderful Life (US 40s)- The greatest Christmas, feel good film EVER.

1 - Brief Encounter ( UK 40s) - I truly love this film. Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard. It to me is the perfect film and I would love to see it at the pictures. A true masterpiece.

There you go. What do you think?
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 8:37 am
Bouncer For Mothercare

wimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: These are probably the greatest Films Ever

Ok for me it has to be, and in no particular order.

El Salvador ( James Woods )

The Godfather ( Marlon Brando )

Little Miss Sunshine ( Toni Collett )

Fargo ( Steve Buscemi )

Once Upon A Time In America ( Robert DeNiro )

There are soooo many more films that I adore but these 5 I can watch over and over again and never tire of them
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 9:01 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
Ok for me it has to be, and in no particular order.

The Godfather ( Marlon Brando )

Little Miss Sunshine ( Toni Collett )

Fargo ( Steve Buscemi )

Once Upon A Time In America ( Robert DeNiro )

There are soooo many more films that I adore but these 5 I can watch over and over again and never tire of them
Oooo, I like threads like this, well done that Lizard ...

In descending order;

5. White Christmas - a Bing Crosby special!

4. The Cook, The Thief, His Wife and Her Lover - Arty, but cool!

3. Fried Green Tomatoes at The Whistlestop Cafe

2. Pretty much anything featuring Jonny Depp - yes, I am that shallow!

1. Wuthering Heights - curled up on sofa with hot chocolate, log fire, winter afternoon, raining outside, house to self!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:43 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Great thread! So... my 5 are...

1) Gladiator - can't get enough of it, a real 'hold your breath' film

2) Point Break - surfing, women, guns, car chases - what a film!

3) Field of dreams - Kevin Costner is actually a great actor... no, really!

4) Trainspotting - nearly had a heart attack in the last 20 mins - what a film!

5) Lock, stock and 2 smoking barrels - nearly had a heart attack with this one too - sheer brilliance no matter how many times you watch it

I really do also love 'Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe' too, and in addition I think 'Mystic Pizza' is also a brill film but hey - they just couldn't make my top 5.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:46 am
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lizard View Post
Because I am bored I thought I would tell you guys my favourite top 5 films.

5 - Zulu (UK 60s)- great film when the British empire ruled

4 - The Railway Children (UK 70s)- I know its a kids film but my Dad took me to the pictures to see it when I was small. Thought it was magical then and still do.

3 - Get Carter (UK 70s)- Michael Caine at his Gangstering best. I mean he throws Alf Roberts of a multi storey carpark.

2 - Its a Wonderful Life (US 40s)- The greatest Christmas, feel good film EVER.

1 - Brief Encounter ( UK 40s) - I truly love this film. Celia Johnson and Trevor Howard. It to me is the perfect film and I would love to see it at the pictures. A true masterpiece.

There you go. What do you think?
Erm... have you seen any films from the 70's onwards? They really do improve from the 1940's to 70's!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 10:51 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

1 American Werewolf in London
2 The Lost Boys
3 The Blues Brothers

that's it!!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:13 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

It's suc h a personal thing! Many of those mentioned I wouldn't watch again if you paid me. It also depends on the way you feel at any one time. Many I thought great are not so great once you see them some time later. And some of the best are low budget films that don't get the attention they deserve.

However, here are a few I contlnually like:-

Pulp Fiction
Heat
All the Pretty Horses
Casablanca
A Simple Plan
Don't Move (new addition)
Red Road (also new edition)

Probably forgotten some I love.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:14 am
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

Red Road (new addition to my list)
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:37 am
Forum Regular

CharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really nice

Originally Posted by karonious View Post
2 The Lost Boys
3 The Blues Brothers

that's it!!
Not so certain about the "Werewolf" as a movie, but the other two are definitely in my top five. However, all three would be near the top of my list for great film music. I mean, I might be showing my age but there are few better starts to a movie than the "Lost Boys" "People Are Strange", and as for the Blues Brothers, they can do no wrong.

My own Top Ten, for the moment at least, would be:

1) Monty Python and the Life of Brian (A work of absolute comic genius)
2) The Blues Brothers (Some of the best music on film)
3) Gladiator (Russell Crowe at his best)
4) Lost Boys (The sad ex-Goth strikes again)
5) Zulu (One of the best combat movies ever made)
6) The entire Lord of the Rings series (I know I am cheating )
7) The Searchers (I was brought up on John Wayne movies, and it shows)
8) The Sea Hawk (Errol Flynn at his swashbuckling best)
The last two are controversial but I liked them......
9) The 13th Warrior (Norse Warriors, sword fights, Neanderthals, what more could you ask for?)
10) Gangs of New York (Daniel Day Lewis as Bill the Butcher is great)
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:48 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

"Withnail and I" ... then the rest.
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:00 pm
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

tremors
Ferris Bullers day off
Shawshank Redemption
Usual Suspects
Gross Point Blank
7even
saw
Deep Cover
Magnolia
the big lebowski

theres 10 for a start!
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

The green mile
Shawshank redemption
Seven
West side story
Polar express
Old Feb 23rd 2008, 11:57 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
Great film. Jim Belushi in the supporting actor role was brilliant.

Originally Posted by Wiz'n'Ton View Post
2) Point Break - surfing, women, guns, car chases - what a film!
As as someone who spent his teen years as a surfer on Southern California beaches I found this film curiously bad, but nevertheless quite watchable.

Originally Posted by karonious View Post
Jenny Agutter's boobs...'nuff said.

Originally Posted by CharlesMacLeod View Post
1) Monty Python and the Life of Brian (A work of absolute comic genius)

7) The Searchers (I was brought up on John Wayne movies, and it shows)
Monty Python and the Life of Brian is comedic genius,agreed.

I just saw the Searchers last week. The DVD was on sale at Whitcoull's for NZ$7.95. Beautiful scenery and the Duke best at being the Duke.

Originally Posted by Dustybin View Post
tremors
This a a bloody great film and is full of wonderful dialog.

'Yeah. See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now.'

'Your problem Valentine is you don't plan ahead. Here it is Monday and I'm already thinkin' 'bout Wednesday.'

'Food for five years, a thousand gallons of gas, air filtration, water filtration, Geiger counter. Bomb shelter! Underground... God damn monsters. '

'Who died and made you Einstein?'

'Well, thanks for everything, you know, saving my life and stuff.'
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:04 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by happynz View Post

This a a bloody great film and is full of wonderful dialog.

'Yeah. See, we plan ahead, that way we don't do anything right now.'

'Your problem Valentine is you don't plan ahead. Here it is Monday and I'm already thinkin' 'bout Wednesday.'

'Food for five years, a thousand gallons of gas, air filtration, water filtration, Geiger counter. Bomb shelter! Underground... God damn monsters. '

'Who died and made you Einstein?'

'Well, thanks for everything, you know, saving my life and stuff.'
'So how many cows does it take to make a stampede?'
Old Feb 24th 2008, 2:33 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

In no particular order...

Top Gun
Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Coyote Ugly
American Pie (all of them )
Pretty Woman
Notting Hill

I could watch these everyday and STILL love them

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.