Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

These are a few of my favourite things ..NZ Style

These are a few of my favourite things ..NZ Style

Old Jun 9th 2008, 8:13 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all
Default These are a few of my favourite things ..NZ Style

I love the fact that children remain children for longer.

Vegetable are imperfect as nature intended.

NZ is sooooo Politically Incorrect, I both 'cringe' and laugh at things said on the TV and radio, they don't care, it's refreshing.

Thread bare carpets and people that people do not 'turn nose up at' (we have an ex-rental and are not replacing anything until extensions completed) - keeping up with the Jones's is a thing of the past (not that I bothered)

New car is new to you rather than off the production line.

Lack of choice for me means I don't bother.

Convenience foods means food prepared by you in advance. Freezer and chill sections at supermarkets and the smallest areas not the largest.

Fish and seafood - choice and quality.

I'm sure you'll have your own.

Be happy
Pauline
Old Jun 9th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: These are a few of my favourite things ..NZ Style

Originally Posted by howden40
I love the fact that children remain children for longer.

Vegetable are imperfect as nature intended.

NZ is sooooo Politically Incorrect, I both 'cringe' and laugh at things said on the TV and radio, they don't care, it's refreshing.

Thread bare carpets and people that people do not 'turn nose up at' (we have an ex-rental and are not replacing anything until extensions completed) - keeping up with the Jones's is a thing of the past (not that I bothered)

New car is new to you rather than off the production line.

Lack of choice for me means I don't bother.

Convenience foods means food prepared by you in advance. Freezer and chill sections at supermarkets and the smallest areas not the largest.

Fish and seafood - choice and quality.

I'm sure you'll have your own.

Be happy
Pauline
Brilliant list - I agree. And also Paul Henry would not get away with his comments on Breakfast in the Uk. He does make me laugh and he pulls such stupid faces. I used to Miss GMTV but Paul Henry fills that spot quite nicely.

Can I also add that I like Christmas as there is no pressure to produce fantastic expensive gifts to make people feel good in the gloomy weather. A day off in the lovely weather on Christmas Day with a few less expensive pressies is very acceptable here. No pressure to cook a great big dinner either. Go to the beach for a picnic if the fancy takes you and no one comments that you are not doing a big Christmas Dinner!!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

Being able to chat with the cashier at any store and not hear tutting behind you!
Kids coming home from school and telling us about what funny things the teacher said in class!
The edge morning show on the radio gosh they would never get away with things that are said on there back in the UK!
Old Jun 9th 2008, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Him and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of lightHim and Me is a glorious beacon of light

Moro bars hmmmm, really miss them, when i visit NZ i gauge myself on them
The accent, you can tell i'm still a tourist and not a expat yet!!
The space and lack of traffic,
oh and pineapple chunks
Old Jun 9th 2008, 10:16 pm
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shirl
Brilliant list - I agree. And also Paul Henry would not get away with his comments on Breakfast in the Uk. He does make me laugh and he pulls such stupid faces. I used to Miss GMTV but Paul Henry fills that spot quite nicely.

Can I also add that I like Christmas as there is no pressure to produce fantastic expensive gifts to make people feel good in the gloomy weather. A day off in the lovely weather on Christmas Day with a few less expensive pressies is very acceptable here. No pressure to cook a great big dinner either. Go to the beach for a picnic if the fancy takes you and no one comments that you are not doing a big Christmas Dinner!!
Yes Paul is brilliant and such a sexist, he'd be unemployed in the UK but he does give me a good start to the day.

Yes Christmas, it was the first question my 23 year old asked, will you still cook Christmas dinner. I said yes and I will if that is what they want.

I used to get so excited making up my Christmas Menu with the boys. For the last few years on xmas eve Tony has gone to bed, but me and the boys gather in the kitchen at 10 to midnight, open the tequilla, and have midnight margararhita's, we then cook, drink, sing, drink,cook, drink, sing, drink until around 4 then go to bed. I will miss that bit.

The pressie bit, yes it is a lot more low key. We spent x-mas 2003 in Auckland, went shopping on xmas eve, you couldn't really tell it was Christmas.

Tony won't miss the last minute vege shop at ASDA on xmas eve, that was his contribution to xmas (apart from digging into his pockets, the moths enjoyed that they got to see air).

Keep happy
Pauline
Old Jun 9th 2008, 11:13 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by howden40
... but me and the boys gather in the kitchen at 10 to midnight, open the tequilla, and have midnight margararhita's, we then cook, drink, sing, drink,cook, drink, sing, drink until around 4 then go to bed. I will miss that bit.
Ahhh yes, the traditional christmas we all know and love!