Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

These Are A Few Of My Favourite Things

These Are A Few Of My Favourite Things

Old Aug 20th 2006, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

pinkninny has a spectacular aura aboutpinkninny has a spectacular aura aboutpinkninny has a spectacular aura about
Question These Are A Few Of My Favourite Things

OK, HOPING U CAN ALL HELP ME, I'M A TOTAL FOODIE AND WORRIED ABOUT WHAT I CAN AND CAN'T GET OVER IN NEW ZEALAND. SO HERE GOES WITH MY LIST........

1, SMOKED GARLIC
2, BUTTERNUT SQUASH
3, YORKSHIRE TEA BAGS
4, NACHOS
5, SOFT CREAM CHEESE

THIS IS A START TO MY LIST WILL KEEP ADDING WHEN I THING OF THEM. AND WHAT SORT OF NEW THINGS CAN I EXPECT TO FIND OVER THERE THAT WILL BLOW ME AWAY
Old Aug 20th 2006, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

spackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud of
Default Re: These Are A Few Of My Favourite Things

Originally Posted by pinkninny
OK, HOPING U CAN ALL HELP ME, I'M A TOTAL FOODIE AND WORRIED ABOUT WHAT I CAN AND CAN'T GET OVER IN NEW ZEALAND. SO HERE GOES WITH MY LIST........

1, SMOKED GARLIC
2, BUTTERNUT SQUASH
3, YORKSHIRE TEA BAGS
4, NACHOS
5, SOFT CREAM CHEESE

THIS IS A START TO MY LIST WILL KEEP ADDING WHEN I THING OF THEM. AND WHAT SORT OF NEW THINGS CAN I EXPECT TO FIND OVER THERE THAT WILL BLOW ME AWAY
You can get butternut squash and nachos, haven't the foggiest about the rest. If you love it you can also get marmite!!!!! We did find a nice English breakfast tea though and i would recommend Pam's marinated mussels.
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

1, SMOKED GARLIC
2, BUTTERNUT SQUASH
3, YORKSHIRE TEA BAGS
4, NACHOS
5, SOFT CREAM CHEESE

Hi
We went last year . The food is a big let down meat and cheese pies uuuugh.
All the supermarkets seem to be like Aldi , Tesco would definately score in NZ. Even the same branded products taste different so you will have to adjust your taste buds.
Cheers
Martin
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

1, SMOKED GARLIC
2, BUTTERNUT SQUASH
3, YORKSHIRE TEA BAGS
4, NACHOS
5, SOFT CREAM CHEESE

yes you can get them all - depending on where you live you can grow your own butternut sqush - we did this year and it was so good
Old Aug 20th 2006, 9:54 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Meat and cheese pies are yummy

If you were going to live in Holland/Germany/Spain would you expect/want to get the same brands as you did in the UK? Personally, I spent two years in Holland and apart from the staples - bread/milk/butter/potatoes - everything was different. It was part of the experience of living in another country.

Try not to get caught up in brands/labels. Apart from sausages the food is really good here, just a little bit different to what you're used to.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

1, SMOKED GARLIC
2, BUTTERNUT SQUASH
3, YORKSHIRE TEA BAGS
4, NACHOS
5, SOFT CREAM CHEESE

Hi

Not sure about the smoked garlic

Butternut squash is widely available along with lots of other vegies I cant identify
Yorkshire tea bags, now I have seen them in the bramptins uk shop in browns bay, auckland, along with a supermarket..I think it was countdown but not 100% sure....I disagree with the comment about supermarkets being like Aldi, countdown and foodtown have wider selections that Pak n Save but all in all you can get what you need
Nachos: now someone in my office makes wicked nachos so that would be a yes if you are that way inclined (unlike me)
Soft cream chees: you mean like cottage cheese, cus you can get that here, havent tried it to see what it takes like but it is available

hope this helps

Dawn
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:42 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kwprwn
Hi

Not sure about the smoked garlic
Smoked garlic is available from my local butchers and from the Riccarton Market (9-2 Sunday, Riccarton Racecourse, Christchurch)
So I know of two places already, shouldn't be too hard.
Part of the fun of moving to NZ is trying out the squillion different sorts of chocolate biscuits...
Old Aug 21st 2006, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

kwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of lightkwprwn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Apple12
Smoked garlic is available from my local butchers and from the Riccarton Market (9-2 Sunday, Riccarton Racecourse, Christchurch)
So I know of two places already, shouldn't be too hard.
Part of the fun of moving to NZ is trying out the squillion different sorts of chocolate biscuits...
mmmm yes lovely choccie biscuits

arnotts toffee pops, i have just discovered and they are just heavenly

i fibd the crisps here pretty crap, as i am not a great fan of crinkle cut chips(crisps) to those in the uk, so this is personal to me ...I MISS MY WALKERS CRISPS
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

Amanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant future

mmmm yes lovely choccie biscuits

arnotts toffee pops, i have just discovered and they are just heavenly

i fibd the crisps here pretty crap, as i am not a great fan of crinkle cut chips(crisps) to those in the uk, so this is personal to me ...I MISS MY WALKERS CRISPS
Bramptins in Pakuranga are supposed to be having a delivery of Walkers crisps this week (they have been expecting this delivery for the past few weeks). I will be down there pretty quick. I will then have to hide them from my children and ration them out!!!
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amanda
Bramptins in Pakuranga are supposed to be having a delivery of Walkers crisps this week (they have been expecting this delivery for the past few weeks). I will be down there pretty quick. I will then have to hide them from my children and ration them out!!!
Pakuranga, I didnt know there was one there...have been to the Orewa one and also the browns bay one, last time I went to browns bay they hadnone, but I knew kind of as they didnt have any on the website, but its nice just to go for a couple of hours and have a walk on the beach etc

Ps, excuse my dumb geography but were is pakuranga?
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:44 am
Forum Regular

Amanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant futureAmanda has a brilliant future

Pakuranga, I didnt know there was one there...have been to the Orewa one and also the browns bay one, last time I went to browns bay they hadnone, but I knew kind of as they didnt have any on the website, but its nice just to go for a couple of hours and have a walk on the beach etc

Ps, excuse my dumb geography but were is pakuranga?
Pakuranga is in East Auckland, going out towards Howick. The Bramptins there is probably the best one ( I have been to them all). They usually have lots of stock and apparently have now come to an arrangement with Walkers who will supply the crisps to them direct. So in the future they should have a constant supply.
Old Aug 21st 2006, 3:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Amanda
Pakuranga is in East Auckland, going out towards Howick. The Bramptins there is probably the best one ( I have been to them all). They usually have lots of stock and apparently have now come to an arrangement with Walkers who will supply the crisps to them direct. So in the future they should have a constant supply.
ok so will have to keep my eye out for that one then, I know the one in browns bay is bigger than the one in Orewa, I thought there were only the 2 in auckland...let me know when they have some please, and please make sure it is pay day so I can buy lots and lots and lots