Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

There's an old saying........

There's an old saying........

Old Jul 23rd 2005, 11:37 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default There's an old saying........

..........Leap and the net shall appear.

Well that's waht we're just about to do :scared:

Hope it's a blummin' big net
I won't bore you with all the details - some will have a good idea already - and this really to try and help some of you avoid the same situation in the future.

We have a shop/house (village stores and PO) and accepted an offer back in April. Our buyers are localish and were going to rent their house - so no chain. Good.

They knew we are planning to emigrate (local see..... and we couldn't have hidden it from them)

Everything was fine for a couple of months and things seemed to be progressing smoothly. They knew that our deadline for exchange of contracts was early July - to give us enough time to cancell shippers etc. That date came and went

Then they stopped returning calls. We were a little anxious as you might imagine. After leaving a couple of messages each day with them for 2 weeks I finally managed to speak to them. 'Everything's fine' they said, 'just a few problems getting the mortgage sorted'. No explanation as to why they hadn't called us- no apology - no nothing. 'We'll phone you everyday with an update' they said.
This was the end of last week. I explained that our shippers were physically going to be here on Tues/Wed so it was vital for us that we exchange contracts no later than Mon lunchtime. 'No problem - will do' was the reply.
Needless to say they didn't phone us on Thurs, or Fri - I would have been surprised if they had!

Their solicitor is from hell. He does not pick up the phone and has everything on voice mail. Needless to say he doesn't return calls either. Not from our solicitor, the estate agent or even his own client!!
On Friday he was on holiday without telling anyone - of course.

So here we are on Saturday - trying to keep calm
The Kids go to parents on Monday. On Tuesday the shippers come. We wont have signed contracts. On Friday we complete - possibly! On Saturday we have a leaving do in the Pub and on Monday I fly to NZ for 3 weeks job hunting etc.

So anyone got a really big net

Do everything you can to avoid this as it really isn't good for the heart (or liver )
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 11:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: There's an old saying........

Oh Biddy - I'm surprised you're still sane enough to make sense - don't have any nets but will send Karma (if I can).

Just think - in 6 months time when all is settled - I'm trying the power of positive thought - hope it helps - you'll look back and laugh (either in humour or insanity!!!!!!!!!!)
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

susannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant futuresusannah has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Oh Biddy - I'm surprised you're still sane enough to make sense - don't have any nets but will send Karma (if I can).

Just think - in 6 months time when all is settled - I'm trying the power of positive thought - hope it helps - you'll look back and laugh (either in humour or insanity!!!!!!!!!!)

Biddy, As Joshlin says in 6 months time you will look back on this and laugh.

Sending you some karma

Susi
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 2:57 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by susannah
Biddy, As Joshlin says in 6 months time you will look back on this and laugh.

Sending you some karma

Susi
I'm hoping I can have a good laugh on Monday week flying to NZ when I think about the new owner trying to track down that god awful fishy smell (the old kipper I left behind the freezer!)
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 4:57 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biddy
I'm hoping I can have a good laugh on Monday week flying to NZ when I think about the new owner trying to track down that god awful fishy smell (the old kipper I left behind the freezer!)
Oh Biddy that is just so precious & hope you really do something like that

On a more serious note I really do hope that things work out ok for you in the end.
Cant believe your still sane having gone through such a traumatic time.

Hope you have a good journey to NZ.

Will be thinking of you wishing that I could hide in one of your bags & sneak home for a visit but as you can see Im counting the days until my baby son arrives for his first visit with me. Beside myself with excitement as I hvent seen him since Oct last year & I cant wait for him to be here.

Safe travels my friend & the very best of luck with the job hunting.

Cheers
Cindy
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 5:11 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Crikey Biddy, talk about 'a leap of faith'!!

You are very brave my friend and your courage should be rewarded with a 'karma net' from all of us - that should do the trick for you!!!

I'm a big believer in things working out in the end and I'm sure that everything will work out ok for you - positive vibes (can you feel them??) Your buyer needs a good talking to though!!!

Have a great time in NZ and hope the job hunting proves successful...keep us posted!!
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 5:13 pm

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Apparently it's a sign of great character to keep your sense of humour through such troubled times, so here's to you Biddy
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 6:07 pm
Give us a kiss

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Apparently it's a sign of great character to keep your sense of humour through such troubled times, so here's to you Biddy
Thanks all for your thoughts ........haven't posted much recently cos all I've wanted to do is shout at someone!

However I think we are now past the point of no return and there's bugger all we can do about it 'cept sit back and enjoy the ride. It'll happen... I'm positive. We've already got the shippers to put our stuff into UK storage rather than straight onto a boat, so if it all goes t*ts up on Friday we'll call it back - a minor disruption in the grand scheme of things. I'd have to miss my flight on the monday though

I think one of the things I'm looking forward to most is the drive from Auck to Welly - Mr KJP and others posted some great suggested routes a while back and I have this mental image of what it's going to be like. I expect to be blown away by the scenery - wow!

I'll keep you posted of events as they unfold.

Mike
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 6:07 pm
Account Closed

Kurtons is an unknown quantity at this point

..........Leap and the net shall appear.

Well that's waht we're just about to do :scared:

Hope it's a blummin' big net
I won't bore you with all the details - some will have a good idea already - and this really to try and help some of you avoid the same situation in the future.

We have a shop/house (village stores and PO) and accepted an offer back in April. Our buyers are localish and were going to rent their house - so no chain. Good.

They knew we are planning to emigrate (local see..... and we couldn't have hidden it from them)

Everything was fine for a couple of months and things seemed to be progressing smoothly. They knew that our deadline for exchange of contracts was early July - to give us enough time to cancell shippers etc. That date came and went

Then they stopped returning calls. We were a little anxious as you might imagine. After leaving a couple of messages each day with them for 2 weeks I finally managed to speak to them. 'Everything's fine' they said, 'just a few problems getting the mortgage sorted'. No explanation as to why they hadn't called us- no apology - no nothing. 'We'll phone you everyday with an update' they said.
This was the end of last week. I explained that our shippers were physically going to be here on Tues/Wed so it was vital for us that we exchange contracts no later than Mon lunchtime. 'No problem - will do' was the reply.
Needless to say they didn't phone us on Thurs, or Fri - I would have been surprised if they had!

Their solicitor is from hell. He does not pick up the phone and has everything on voice mail. Needless to say he doesn't return calls either. Not from our solicitor, the estate agent or even his own client!!
On Friday he was on holiday without telling anyone - of course.

So here we are on Saturday - trying to keep calm
The Kids go to parents on Monday. On Tuesday the shippers come. We wont have signed contracts. On Friday we complete - possibly! On Saturday we have a leaving do in the Pub and on Monday I fly to NZ for 3 weeks job hunting etc.

So anyone got a really big net

Do everything you can to avoid this as it really isn't good for the heart (or liver )
Great to hear your still taking the leap and it will all turn out well im sure will still like to meet up when were in wellington middle of august compare similar stories etc let me know if your interested
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 6:12 pm
Give us a kiss

Originally Posted by Kurtons
Great to hear your still taking the leap and it will all turn out well im sure will still like to meet up when were in wellington middle of august compare similar stories etc let me know if your interested
Hi Rich - Absolutely!
I'm renting a flat at:
** **** **. ******* ***** Kapiti.
Telephone is ** * *** ****

between 6th Aug and 21st. Not sure about that number above just copied it from an email.
Do you have any set plans? - let me know.

Last edited by Pinkie Pie; Jul 24th 2005 at 8:56 pm. Reason: to protect Biddy from hordes of buxom females descending upon him for all night parties
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 6:46 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all for your thoughts ........haven't posted much recently cos all I've wanted to do is shout at someone!

I think one of the things I'm looking forward to most is the drive from Auck to Welly - Mr KJP and others posted some great suggested routes a while back and I have this mental image of what it's going to be like. I expect to be blown away by the scenery - wow!

Mike
Gosh Biddy certainly admire your courage in all of this & can understand your frustrations at wanting to shout at someone.
How I envy you making that drive from Auckland to Wellington. Have travelled all around NZ on many road trips & have to say the drive from Auckland to Wellington is my all time favourite trip. Just so much to see & do along the way & the roads are all really good to drive too. If your going via Taupo do me a favour & really enjoy the wonderful serene feeling as you drive around the lake. No matter what the weather its always made me want to stop & put my feet in the water just for a few minutes. Sadly its one place Ive never taken to the time to swim in but will do it one day if its the last thing I do on this earth.
Will you have computer access while your away? Would sure love to hear how things are going. If not will have to wait for your report when you return home to the family.
Tried sending you some Karma but as usual it wont let me, need to spread it around again .
Will keep you in my prayers until you are home safe & keeping toes & fingers crossed for a successful journey
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 7:15 pm
Account Closed

Kurtons is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Rich - Absolutely!
I'm renting a flat at:
63 Glen Rd. Raumati South, Kapiti.
Telephone is ** 4 902 1173

between 6th Aug and 21st. Not sure about that number above just copied it from an email.
Do you have any set plans? - let me know.
Hi Biddy
Thats great were booking into a hotel in the centre of Welly for a couple of weeks to attend some job interviews so if you send me a private message on the forum (havnt quite got the hang of that yet) ill give you my mobile number and we can arrange something before we both go out ,were flying out on ther 11th having a stopover in Singapore for a couple of days arrive in welly on the 17th.
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 8:35 pm

Dave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant futureDave and Lyns has a brilliant future

However I think we are now past the point of no return and there's bugger all we can do about it 'cept sit back and enjoy the ride. It'll happen... I'm positive. We've already got the shippers to put our stuff into UK storage rather than straight onto a boat, so if it all goes t*ts up on Friday we'll call it back - a minor disruption in the grand scheme of things. I'd have to miss my flight on the monday though

Mike
Hi Mike!

Sorry we haven't got a net but our thoughts are with you and wish you luck.

We're only just starting on the path of taking the plunge of putting the EOI in but we have thought long term issues and it's taken a few glasses of red to settle our minds!! :scared:

Selling houses is a bad enough experience in ordinary cases (some being very, very simple in the past but still have problems!!), so with thoughts of selling our house under the fact that we would be emigrating makes us think that we will be messed about even more!

Anyway, finger's crossed (fish fingers for the new owners by the sounds of it ) that everything goes OK for you next week!

Cheers

Dave and Lyns
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 11:29 pm
Life begins...

80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute80s Chick has a reputation beyond repute

Oh Biddy, you've really got it rough at the moment. As for the fish stunt, best one is raw prawns in the curtain pole, they'll never find it (heard that one was done as post divorce revenge). Wishing you all the best and hope Welly delivers the goods. You might want to advise your customers to shop elsewhere 'n' all when the new owners take over. Suddenly the hypermarkets might look more attractive. Sending you bucketloads of karma even if I can't

Phyl
Old Jul 23rd 2005, 11:38 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Sending you Prozac and Karma Biddy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.