Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is there a north/south-divide in NZ?

Is there a north/south-divide in NZ?

Old Jan 23rd 2010, 3:49 pm
THR
Account Closed

THR is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is there a north/south-divide in NZ?

If there is then how bitter is it? In England there is the constant argument about the flourishing south and the impoverished north. Well, in your country that is the other way round, I mean if you have these arguments. In England there are also a lot of debates about as to where the north begins. Some people say the Midlands while others say that the north is much more north than that. Well, for obvious geographic reasons I don't think there is a lot of debate in your country as to where the north begins.

However, as the South Island of NZ is larger than the North Island but the south has only 1/4 of the population, there must be a lot of feeling of being left out. Luckily enough, the capital is in the south of the North Island.

The South Island has two major cities, Christchurch and Dunedin, but otherwise the population seems to be concentrating more and more on the North Island. Which of the major parties, I mean National and Labour, is more in favour of keeping services in the sparsely populated south? Has the NZ government ever encouraged people to move to the south by granting tax-breaks or do you believe in your country that it is no use trying to direct where people want to live?
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 5:47 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there a north/south-divide in NZ?

Don't think there are enough people to fight about it!
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 6:53 pm
Dorset to Dunedin

Fooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond reputeFooferfish has a reputation beyond repute

SHHHH dont tell all the JAFAS about the freedom and lack of population down south shhhh theyll all want to experience the real NZ
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 6:57 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

North/South divide? Who cares? pointless!
Old Jan 23rd 2010, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
North/South divide? Who cares? pointless!
South sees itself as the 'mainland'. There is some rivalry going on but its no big deal aye? Both Isles have their good and not so good points. Its a bit like the Ford V Holden divide..only waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay less important!!
Old Jan 24th 2010, 6:40 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Blue Cod vs Snapper
Speights vs Lion Red
Kapiti vs Whitestone
Swedes vs Kumara

Ah humbug!
Old Jan 24th 2010, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I don't think there's a divide, more a preference. Have to say though that I do like the South beers.
Old Jan 24th 2010, 10:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
If there is then how bitter is it? In England there is the constant argument about the flourishing south and the impoverished north. Well, in your country that is the other way round, I mean if you have these arguments. In England there are also a lot of debates about as to where the north begins. Some people say the Midlands while others say that the north is much more north than that. Well, for obvious geographic reasons I don't think there is a lot of debate in your country as to where the north begins.

However, as the South Island of NZ is larger than the North Island but the south has only 1/4 of the population, there must be a lot of feeling of being left out. Luckily enough, the capital is in the south of the North Island.

The South Island has two major cities, Christchurch and Dunedin, but otherwise the population seems to be concentrating more and more on the North Island. Which of the major parties, I mean National and Labour, is more in favour of keeping services in the sparsely populated south? Has the NZ government ever encouraged people to move to the south by granting tax-breaks or do you believe in your country that it is no use trying to direct where people want to live?
the only reason there is a marked divide in the UK is the attitude of " we are better then you"

Which I am glad to say does not really happen here atall
Old Jan 25th 2010, 3:57 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

The only North / South divide I'm aware of is the Cook Striaght, can easily be breached by a ferry crossing though.

In all honesty I would say it's pointless trying to ascribe such (innacurate and mostly media generated) issues from the UK to New Zealand as it is a different conutry.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:50 am
Just Joined

Beeka is an unknown quantity at this point

In England it's all about upper / lower class divide, which you don't really get in NZ. Pretty much all Europeans here are one big middle class.

When we travelled to the South Island, my Kiwi boyfriend told me "don't say you're from Auckland!" I guess we're lumped as big city chumps - even thought Auckland is a huge sprawling mass of suburbia and rural properties. It's just not quite as isolated as parts of the South Island......

Coming from central London, I feel like anything BUT a city dweller now.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

jennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond reputejennifer45 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by THR
If there is then how bitter is it? ?
Yep there is.!
It ain't bitter ! Some would say it's sweet!
In reality it's salty
It's the Cooke's Straight- and long may it flow and keep those Northern Nancies away from our beautiful, low density areas in the South.
No harm in them visiting and spending their cash in our beautiful, unpolluted countryside (Think Yorkshire Dales/Peak District/Northumberland etc - but add in Glorious sunshine! (OK_ NOT this year!)
Jennie
for once happy to live in the South!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jennifer45
Yep there is.!
It ain't bitter ! Some would say it's sweet!
In reality it's salty
It's the Cooke's Straight- and long may it flow and keep those Northern Nancies away from our beautiful, low density areas in the South.
No harm in them visiting and spending their cash in our beautiful, unpolluted countryside (Think Yorkshire Dales/Peak District/Northumberland etc - but add in Glorious sunshine! (OK_ NOT this year!)
Jennie
for once happy to live in the South!
Ha ha!

I don't think you can compare it to the north/south divide in the UK but there is definitely a north/south divide in NZ. Mainly I think it is pride in the Island we are from. Most of it is because the two islands are very different culturally, in terms of scenery, population, income etc etc. It is mostly just light hearted banter but there are definitely some people who would rather die than live in the North Island and vice versa...ha ha. I love the rivalry....otherwise what else would we have to talk about

Also, sometimes it isn't a North/South divide - it's an Auckland versus the rest of New Zealand divide....Aucklanders do tend to think the world stops outside of Auckland, and most people out of Auckland can't understand why they would want to live in that rat race.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 8:53 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dannigirl
Also, sometimes it isn't a North/South divide - it's an Auckland versus the rest of New Zealand divide....Aucklanders do tend to think the world stops outside of Auckland, and most people out of Auckland can't understand why they would want to live in that rat race.
Thanks for demonstrating my point!

Anyway I think Aucklanders must travel the most with all that spare cash they earn in their little rat race?

The thing that's wrong about the Auckland vs NZ thing is that only a very tiny % of Aucklanders actually live in the city - many of us live next to beaches and have the option to buy acres of land just down the road. Doesn't feel like any rat race to me.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Beeka;8281387]Thanks for demonstrating my point!

Anyway I think Aucklanders must travel the most with all that spare cash they earn in their little rat race?

The thing that's wrong about the Auckland vs NZ thing is that only a very tiny % of Aucklanders actually live in the city - many of us live next to beaches and have the option to buy acres of land just down the road. Doesn't feel like any rat race to me. [/QUOTE

Ha ha I was trying to be obvious.....!

It's not about living in the city per se....I think it is more to do with people's perception that it ALL happens in Auckland. I think NZ'ers do tend to think they are more sophisticated if they live in Auckland, it tends to be a bit more flashy, people can come across as 'confident' shall we say....and there is a definite accent change in some people and I think you may have to be kiwi to pick it up, but I can hear a posh or wannabe posh Aucklander from 50 yards....it makes me cringe A LOT. I think you are right though, most people don't understand how good the lifestyle is up there for lots of people. We tend to instantly dismiss it because it's Auckland, I have certainly been guilty of that.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dannigirl
there is a definite accent change in some people and I think you may have to be kiwi to pick it up, but I can hear a posh or wannabe posh Aucklander from 50 yards....it makes me cringe A LOT.
LOL, really!?! I never heard that before

(If you ask me I can barely tell the difference between a Kiwi or Australian accent and I've been here nearly 3 years. I know, I know - shoot me now!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.