Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is there much racism towards people of afro-caribbean descent in New Zealand?

Is there much racism towards people of afro-caribbean descent in New Zealand?

Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:26 am
Just Joined

nicolac is a jewel in the roughnicolac is a jewel in the roughnicolac is a jewel in the roughnicolac is a jewel in the rough
Default Is there much racism towards people of afro-caribbean descent in New Zealand?

My husband's family are originally from Jamaica and I am white english and together we have a son. My husband is in the RAF and we are currently in the middle of a 3 year tour in Cyprus and when we finish this tour, we are considering emmigrating. Before we consider where we would like to move to in further detail, I would really like to know how accepted we shall be in New Zealand. I understand that it is a country with diverse cultures and obviously there are the maori population, however, I would still like to know how big the afro-caribbean community is likely to be and whether we shall be accepted warmly.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 6:46 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there much racism towards people of afro-caribbean descent in New Zealand?

No doubt others would be able to provide more informed advice but i would i hope/imagine/assume you and your husband would be fine.

At least in my opinion. Some people talk about NZers being racist to those people who look 'different'. Apart from the regular dumb*sses that exist in every country (which isn't acceptable either way!) i honestly don't think NZers are racist. Curious yes - you both may get questions at the most surprising times (ie sitting on a bus, at the supermarket, real estate agents etc etc etc). Also, judging by other peoples comments on this site that is a pretty normal thing regardless of what you look like!

The only thing is - others on this website have commented on NZers being racist. So i dunno...perhaps it is a matter of who you meet? I'm a born and bred kiwi and i would never describe myself as racist, nor any of my friends. Again, it is who you meet. Who you associate with and who you chose to block out.

One thing i know is implied on some websites...though not this one actually....is if you are wanting to be in a multicultural/ethnic/income area then go to a larger city (therefore implying small towns inhabitants are inbred tooth pickers who marry their sister). Not sure if you are looking to move to a city or a smaller town but don't think you have to move to a place with lots of diversity (ie a big city) to be accepted. I think i said that wrong - basically take a place as it comes. If the people seem nice, regardless of if it is a small or larger town be happy

Sorry, not really helpful there. And i went off on a tangent....i do that sometimes.

But good luck. Your husband may stand out cos he is darker than some other people (i assume!) but just think of it this way - you will both stand out as soon as you open your mouth!!

Disclaimer: kiwi girl. not an immigrant so obviously have never encountered being 'foreign' in NZ. Did encounter it in the UK and other countries though. Though admittedly i tended to look 'local' until i opened my trap. Actually apparently i can look 'local' in many different countries so go figure...oops tangent....
Old Feb 8th 2008, 7:05 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is there much racism towards people of afro-caribbean descent in New Zealand?

Hi there. As Kiwiprincess says, bigger cities will be better. From personal experience the smaller the town the smaller the mind. It's quite unusual here to see people who are dark skinned but not Maori or Islander so I think for the novelty value alone - your child won't seem any different to 50% (or more) of the local population - your husband will be cool. I'm Irish and so am probably more used to being the butt of so called jokes than most people on here and I've had nothing to complain of in Auckland. Show me someone who doesn't think it's funny to put on an Oirish accent? The difference is in if the laughter is WITH you or AGAINST you and you'll know yourself which one that is and act accordingly

I remember many years ago asking this same question on a forum because I too was worried about coming here - funnily enough because I thought it was a very English country and I'd had a few bad experiences in London. You'll be grand.
Old Feb 8th 2008, 12:10 pm
Just Joined

nicolac is a jewel in the roughnicolac is a jewel in the roughnicolac is a jewel in the roughnicolac is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for replies, feeling better already ! Shall continue with digging deeper into necessary info! We have another year and half left in Cyprus with air force which is great and we are determined we do not want to return to living in UK again!
Old Feb 8th 2008, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

in_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nicein_denial is just really nice

Talking to a few expat Kiwi friends here in the UK - they seem to feel that the main racism tends to be directed towards the "Asians". Though apprarently in NZ the term "Asian" usually means more what I would call Oriental i.e. Chinese, Korean etc. rather than Indian/Pakistani etc.

They reckon the main cause of this resentment is due to the fact that large numbers of "Asian" immigrants are making NZ their home but they're not integrating into the Kiwi society or way of life.

Obviously this is the veiw of a handful of Kiwis living here in the UK and may be completely off the mark.

I think that wherever you go, if you can integrate into that new society/community, they will always be willing to accept you (even though in some extreme cases it may take a little time).

FWIW, I think you'll be fine.

Last edited by in_denial; Feb 8th 2008 at 1:27 pm. Reason: spl
Old Feb 9th 2008, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think your family will blend in well with the many mixed races here. I have noticed recently that there appears to be a lot more people here of African descent, and a fair few black South Africans and Zimbabweans. Remembering also that NZ has higher populations of Pacific Islanders than some of the Pacific Islands themselves.

As for New Zealanders being racist, yes they are far more openly racist (among friends) and are often just downright ignorant in their attitude towards foreigners, people of a different colour or race. I think one would require a 'thicker skin' and to maintain a good degree of humour in dealing with situations of race. I've never heard anything hugely serious or threatening, but it still shocks me when I hear some of the comments.

I have a few friends who are 'Cape Coloured', one in particular has children (teenagers) with a white partner. Their children could pass as Pacific Islanders or Maori anyday. As with all children their 'difference' has at times set them apart enough to cause some problems within school. However, I assume this wouldn't be any different to any other school in any other country.

Perhaps you could fit in a visit to NZ before taking the plunge, to see how you find the general vibe.
Old Feb 9th 2008, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by nicolac
My husband's family are originally from Jamaica and I am white english and together we have a son. My husband is in the RAF and we are currently in the middle of a 3 year tour in Cyprus and when we finish this tour, we are considering emmigrating. Before we consider where we would like to move to in further detail, I would really like to know how accepted we shall be in New Zealand. I understand that it is a country with diverse cultures and obviously there are the maori population, however, I would still like to know how big the afro-caribbean community is likely to be and whether we shall be accepted warmly.
Greetings, I am a Maori living in Central Otago,
Godszone as we say.
Sadly we do have the village and city idiot types
in NZ who believe abusing people of other races is
a fun past time.
But, in NZ over 50 % of Maori marry other races
so mixed couples are not uncommon.
I would like to say that having a wife from another
race meant I could spend my time fishing etc,etc,.
I would like to.
Sadly all wifes seem to believe that males are idle
unless kept an eye on
Old Feb 11th 2008, 1:27 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tehori
Greetings, I am a Maori living in Central Otago,
Sadly all wifes seem to believe that males are idle
unless kept an eye on

That's true isn't it?
Old Feb 11th 2008, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

spoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nicespoonguy is just really nice

I honestly haven’t met anyone of Afro Caribbean decent since I’ve been in New Zealand, that said I’ve only met a few people of any African ethnicity at all. I'd say NZ is more racist then England but then small minded people will always find something. As an immigrant I think you pick up on things that are different from back home. Young Maoris seem to struggle for a cultural identity and the European descended likewise, they just seem to tread on each other’s toes a bit. The older generation seem more secure in who they are. Think Scottish / English rivalry I suppose, some couldn’t care less others have a pointless grudge against people they don’t know.
So I suppose the issue is more cultural then about ethnicity, don’t impose yours on them and you’ll do fine. One thing that confuses me is some Maoris I know refer to themselves as black, was just a little confusing to begin with.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 5:58 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Here is how it is for us. Simple souls that we are.

Many of my husbands family are mixed afro-Caribbean. All shapes, sizes and ..... so what really . He's from Wolverhampton originally. They are all still there.

At some point they will make it here to visit us we hope. I am not anticipating any major problems. Sure, there seems to be not much in the way of mixed race afro-Caribbean where we live or for that matter throughout the New Zealand we know.

I really don't think they [ meaning those of them that have better tanned skin than me or himself to be blunt] will be 'noticed' that much. If they are , then IMHO, I would have to look again at the people who had the problem.
Old Feb 12th 2008, 10:40 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Is there much racism towards people of afro-caribbean descent in New Zealand?

Simple truth for me:

I don't give a rat's arse where you were born or what colour your skin is.

No examples. It's just how it is for me. Any many other people I know.

Just to say that I personally couldn't give a flying **** if your skin is green with orange and purple spots, and yellow stripes. Seriously.

That is all.

Nighty-night folks.

(sorry, I know that wasn't the original question, but it's how I feel!)