Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Is there anyone from SW England coming over soon?

Is there anyone from SW England coming over soon?

Old Aug 22nd 2009, 8:07 am
Forum Regular

terrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to all
Default Is there anyone from SW England coming over soon?

Hi,
I wondered if anyone living or visiting in the Southwest of England would be coming over to New Zealand in the next month or so?
The reason I ask is that I have a small parcel that I need to be brought over, the parcel would be open so you can see that it isnt anything dodgey, if fact the parcel would be some medals that have been left to me, my mother is scared to post them to me in case they get lost!
If there is anybody that might be able to help I can give you more details and I can call you too to explain the whole story.
I really hope that someone can help, I think that if I dont get them soon they will be taken by the rest of the family.
Its all a bit of a mess.
Thanks
John.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 8:22 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is there anyone from SW England coming over soon?

Hi John,

Starting this thread to see if you can get some assistance is a good idea, so for you.

My mum is in Devon, but she's not coming over until February. If no one else can help with anything sooner she could hold on to them for you until then.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

terrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to allterrier2 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi John,

Starting this thread to see if you can get some assistance is a good idea, so for you.

My mum is in Devon, but she's not coming over until February. If no one else can help with anything sooner she could hold on to them for you until then.
Thank you very much Am Loolah, your offer has made me feel that there are some nice people out there. I think I will wait for a week or so before making a final decision on what to do. I never realised how a passing can bring out the worst in a family. Thanks again.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 8:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

Big Sis Liffy Bs container is leaving Tommorow (Mon) she lives in Plymouth, Liffy leaves for here on Wed you could try PMing her, but you would have to be quick.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 9:53 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Hi John.

My husband is flying to the UK at the beginning of September but unfortunately it will not be to the South West. He is going to Wolverhampton, spend 4 days and then a week in Aberystwyth before 3 days back in Wolverhampton. I'm not sure if this will help any but if your Mum was happy to post within the UK or someone was willing to drive a distance then my husband would bring those medals back with him. It's a bit of a whistle stop visit so he has no time to travel South, otherwise he would.

Where in the South West is your Mum. One of us on BE may have friends living nearby that could collect the medals from your Mum and then we sort out how to get them to NZ. At least then you know they are 'safe'.
Many of our friends live in and around Dorset & perhaps could help. Depends really where your Mum is .

I never fully appreciated how a passing can bring out the very worst in a family either John . I'd seen it and heard tales but never really felt it until my Dad died last January. I'm still struggling with how members of my immediate family behaved . So I totally feel for you

There is a Kiwi friend here with a huge family rift over his Dads medals. The sister has/took them but they were supposed to go to him, the son. We were there when he thought he was going to be given the medals, but it turned out that she had arranged for copies to be made. These are smaller versions of the actual medals.

My husband has his grandads medals. They were given to him by his Dad . He was given them by his Father as he was the youngest son. My husband is the last Bevan in his line so he has been thinking carefully about these medals and I have been looking at his family tree to try and help with this.

It's important isn't it & I do so hope we can find a way to get these medals to you mate.
Old Aug 22nd 2009, 11:02 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by terrier2
Hi,
I wondered if anyone living or visiting in the Southwest of England would be coming over to New Zealand in the next month or so?
The reason I ask is that I have a small parcel that I need to be brought over, the parcel would be open so you can see that it isnt anything dodgey, if fact the parcel would be some medals that have been left to me, my mother is scared to post them to me in case they get lost!
If there is anybody that might be able to help I can give you more details and I can call you too to explain the whole story.
I really hope that someone can help, I think that if I dont get them soon they will be taken by the rest of the family.
Its all a bit of a mess.
Thanks
John.
Hi John
We are in SW but really not sure of dates for coming to NZ yet (could be Dec 09/Jan 2010 but?)..would love to help but given our lack of timings I am sure/hope there will be someone who can resolve this for you asap.
I can understand why you & your Mum are worried ....I work for the Royal British Legion and medals bravely gained mean so much to the recipient and their loved ones, hope you get some luck with this .... regards B x

Last edited by MnB; Aug 22nd 2009 at 11:05 pm.
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 12:28 am
Just Joined

gyroman is just really nicegyroman is just really nicegyroman is just really nicegyroman is just really nicegyroman is just really nicegyroman is just really nicegyroman is just really nicegyroman is just really nice

Hi John.
I have seen similar problems to yours and appreciate the pain that can be caused.
We have been granted PR but have no date set to fly, however my job takes me all over the south west and I live in west wales. I would be happy to see if I could collect the medals and get them to Bevs husband to bring back with him. I am about 2 hours drive from Aberystwyth.
I realise its a bit of a long shot but would be happy to try and make it happen.
Chris
Old Aug 23rd 2009, 8:57 pm
Forum Regular

Firstly I would like to thank everyone for your suport, I thought that it was just me that had these problems and it does make me feel better knowing that you are out there and willing to give a stranger a helping hand.
I spoke to my sister in law last night and she is willing to collect the medels from my mothers place (if thats where they are) and at least then I will know that I have them!
Like you said Bevs, I also have the problem of that my sister is the execetor of my fathers will and I have a feeling that if I dont get the medels picked up soon I will never get them as she might change her mind, the will says she can do what she likes with all personal effects.
My sister in law lives in Bristol and she could post them to any address in the UK or deliver them to someone in that area, I cant expect her and I know she wouldnt anyway take them much further than that, so I supose the first thing is to get them away from the family.
You may have gathered that I am not close to my family and as time goes on we are moving further apart, like I said its a mess. All I have to do now is think of a reason why my sister in law is going to pick them up from my mother, like I said my mother says that I can pick them up next time we are over but to be honest I think that by next year none of us will be talking anymore so I dont want to take that chance.
So hopefully the medals will be away from the family sometime this week.
By the way I am the last in the male line of my family so these are very important to me.
Sorry for my ramblings, but just thought I would keep you up to date.
Old Aug 24th 2009, 5:01 am
`

You're right. Get them away and 'safe' first.

Then between us all perhaps we can work out the best move for you and these medals.

My husband will be in the UK from3rd to 15th Sept and in Wales from 5/6th Sept to 12th Sept at Clarach Bay.
Old Aug 25th 2009, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

anniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud of

Hi John

What an awful predicament for you !
Not sure if it will help, my container is being packed next Wed if they could be posted to me I would be happy to put them in there. If there's no weight involved I'll happily put them in our suitcases. I live in Yorkshire so unfortunatley can't collect them for you.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

I now have the medals, well I dont but my SIL does. She lives in Bristol and is not able to delivery them very far from there.
So just a quick reminder if anyone is going near there on the way here?
Oh and there are 4 small paintings, they arent framed just on canvas, fit in someones suitcase easy if anyone is willing.
Bevs, at least I got them away!
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:16 am
`

Originally Posted by terrier2
I now have the medals, well I dont but my SIL does. She lives in Bristol and is not able to delivery them very far from there.
So just a quick reminder if anyone is going near there on the way here?
Oh and there are 4 small paintings, they arent framed just on canvas, fit in someones suitcase easy if anyone is willing.
Bevs, at least I got them away!
Thank goodness for that. I am very relieved for you.

If your SIL is willing to post or courier to Wolverhampton or Clarach Bay, Wales then give me a shout and husband can put in his suitcase.

Otherwise if Gyroman is still about (PM them perhaps) then perhaps they can collect and bung to my husband at Clarach Bay.

Remember though , that we are outside of Nelson on the South Island. Not North Island.

Of course, Am Loolah may know someone that can get them to her Mum or summat !

At least they are safe !

Well done you and your SIL.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 4:22 am
Forum Regular

Ummmm now what decisions to make, I have given it a lot of thought and really dont want to trust royal mail with them, I have seen them via web cam on skype and I would now hate them to get lost so I think I will have to wait to see if someone is coming.
I know that you live in Nelson, I could always pop down for a flying one day trip!
The only thing is now is that my mother thinks that a friend is bringing them over next week (I had to tell her something so she would let them go!) so if she starts talking about them I just hope that I have seen enough on skype to make her think I have them!
Im getting there.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 10:13 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

hi there
glad medals are now 'safe'.... keep us posted & let us know if you manage to arrange arrival in NZ, if still a problem when we get sorted with dates am sure we could do something to help.
B x
Old Sep 1st 2009, 11:05 pm
Just Joined

gyroman is just really nicegyroman is just really nicegyroman is just really nicegyroman is just really nicegyroman is just really nicegyroman is just really nicegyroman is just really nicegyroman is just really nice

Hi
If its any use I will be in or around Bristol on Mon 7th / Tuesday 8th and back in Wales on the 8th or 9th. I'm happy to collect and see if I can meet Bevs husband somewhere mid way to deliver.
Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.