Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

is there anyone out there wondering if its the right move to make new zealand (help)

is there anyone out there wondering if its the right move to make new zealand (help)

Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Flyboy
Somebody is very bitter with NZ!!!!

Yeah, most kiwis go to OZ for the money and the sunshine but hey you want gangs, drugs and all then I suggest you spend some more time in London as I feel much safer in Auckland than I did in many places in the UK.

But at the end of the day it is all about personal experience and choice and I have lived in a lot of places and travelled to even more and I have found NZ to be the best so far! I admit I am not here for the money or even the weather, I am here as the people are all great and it is a great place to be for an outdoors lifestyle - if that doesn't appeal fine, just don't come and leave it all for us!!!!!
You are a young man with a narrow outlook on life and no family or worries. You can afford to mess about now and not worry about the future of NZ. I am not making my comments with you in mind - backpackers are not my concern. I am interested in people who are looking for a life and to make their way.

I am sorry that NZ's future is so bad because, as I say, I have freinds and family there and they are in it for the long term, not until mum wires them some more money from Dorset.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

SimonC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
Where did the money for these properties and businesses come from? The UK or NZ?
NZ, the banks - both properties were bought for no money down, and the business was bought with a loan and vendor finance.

What, you think I would use my own money - that is for fools! maybe that is something you would do?

Sorry to disappoint you!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by SimonC
NZ, the banks - both properties were bought for no money down, and the business was bought with a loan and vendor finance.

What, you think I would use my own money - that is for fools! maybe that is something you would do?

Sorry to disappoint you!

It is very easy to borrow money these days. Much harder to make money out of a market of 4 million, especially one with such low incomes. Well, I am sure with your 6 months experience under your belt that you know best.

I will not go on about it now. You have enough worries for the future if you are so much in debt already without me bursting your bubble. Good luck young man, you will certainly need it if you are hoping to succeed in the NZ of the near future.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Flyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

You are a young man with a narrow outlook on life and no family or worries. You can afford to mess about now and not worry about the future of NZ. I am not making my comments with you in mind - backpackers are not my concern. I am interested in people who are looking for a life and to make their way.

I am sorry that NZ's future is so bad because, as I say, I have freinds and family there and they are in it for the long term, not until mum wires them some more money from Dorset.
Wilf,

Just like to point out that I am not "A Backpacker" but a very qualified engineer who has lived in a lot of places around the world and have decided to make NZ my home after seeing what the rest of the world has (or has not) got to offer. Just because NZ doesn't suit you there is no need to slag it off
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf,

Just like to point out that I am not "A Backpacker" but a very qualified engineer who has lived in a lot of places around the world and have decided to make NZ my home after seeing what the rest of the world has (or has not) got to offer. Just because NZ doesn't suit you there is no need to slag it off
What job are you doing in NZ?
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:21 am
Forum Regular

What job are you doing in NZ?
Aircraft Engineer - does this elevate me from backpacker status!!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

It is very easy to borrow money these days. Much harder to make money out of a market of 4 million, especially one with such low incomes. Well, I am sure with your 6 months experience under your belt that you know best.

I will not go on about it now. You have enough worries for the future if you are so much in debt already without me bursting your bubble. Good luck young man, you will certainly need it if you are hoping to succeed in the NZ of the near future.

Yes, it's true I will always be in debt (only on the investment properties), but then if you knew anything about that you would know that paying off a mortgage on an investment property is probably the worst thing you can do!

Both my houses are in lower income areas - that is where the demand for rental properties is! But then your statistics / reports probably told you that already.

And 4 million is plenty enought for me, especially coming from somehwere that only had 60,000.

And prey what experience do you have? A PHD in whinging? A Masters in making other people miserable?

Give it a break eh! why don't you try something else instead of trying to put everyone down! Just because you are totally bitter about some past experience, don't take it out on others willing to pick up sticks and move to the other side of the world.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Aircraft Engineer - does this elevate me from backpacker status!!
I was asking because NZ is not noted for its technical job opportunities and I was wondering if you were doing other work now you are there. Count yourself one of the lucky few if you have reasonably paid work in your own profession, especially if you are a "professional" engineer with a white collar job. I know that NZ has a few jobs on the tools but not many in research or development.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

I was asking because NZ is not noted for its technical job opportunities and I was wondering if you were doing other work now you are there. Count yourself one of the lucky few if you have reasonably paid work in your own profession, especially if you are a "professional" engineer with a white collar job. I know that NZ has a few jobs on the tools but not many in research or development.
"White Collar"!!!!!!!!! mate, even the lowly "blue Collar" mechanics in my job make a good $60k here..... I am not in a lucky few in my experiance here but one of the lucky many.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Yes, it's true I will always be in debt (only on the investment properties), but then if you knew anything about that you would know that paying off a mortgage on an investment property is probably the worst thing you can do!

Both my houses are in lower income areas - that is where the demand for rental properties is! But then your statistics / reports probably told you that already.

And 4 million is plenty enought for me, especially coming from somehwere that only had 60,000.

And prey what experience do you have? A PHD in whinging? A Masters in making other people miserable?

Give it a break eh! why don't you try something else instead of trying to put everyone down! Just because you are totally bitter about some past experience, don't take it out on others willing to pick up sticks and move to the other side of the world.

Your life sounds like a triumph of hope over experience.

Pray you do not get a bad tenant or have empty places. In time, you will appreciate the reality of small markets.

Good luck.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

"White Collar"!!!!!!!!! mate, even the lowly "blue Collar" mechanics in my job make a good $60k here..... I am not in a lucky few in my experiance here but one of the lucky many.
As I say, I knew there were a few jobs on the tools in aircraft engineering - in some demand I heard a while back - but NZ (and Oz, to a large extent) has a shortage of professional jobs for the highly educated. When I said "lucky few" I was not just referring to your line, but to professional jobs (by that I mean non-manual) in general.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:46 am
Forum Regular

Your life sounds like a triumph of hope over experience.

Pray you do not get a bad tenant or have empty places. In time, you will appreciate the reality of small markets.

Good luck.
It least it doesn't sound like sad case, spend all day, everyday posting messages telling people not to come to my adopted country.

You obviously haven't heard of Property Managers, Tenancy Tribunerals and Tennant Insurance then have you?

Give up it is not worth it!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Your right keep them neither a cash generator nor cost to you and your laughing.
Just make sure that your investment properies are not classed as your business and all capital gains are tax FREE.
I do so like the tax system in NZ.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Your right keep them neither a cash generator nor cost to you and your laughing.
Just make sure that your investment properies are not classed as your business and all capital gains are tax FREE.
I do so like the tax system in NZ.

me too, LAQC is the best tax thing ever, still get good cash flow on them but make tax loss after depreciation which is transferrable to your own personal tax liability, what more could you ask for
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

It least it doesn't sound like sad case, spend all day, everyday posting messages telling people not to come to my adopted country.

You obviously haven't heard of Property Managers, Tenancy Tribunerals and Tennant Insurance then have you?

Give up it is not worth it!

Yes I have heard of those things. You have heard of police? But they do not prevent people being ripped off do they? You hear stories all the time about tenants doing a moonlight flit, wrecking the places, taking fixtures and fittings, refusing to pay rent and having to be evicted - you watch the TV programmes like Fair Go? They still have that on TV there. You are very naive.

Your faith in a very uncertain future in a small land like NZ, economy tumbling down the international rankings, with a bleak future where even the natives who love the place are leaving in droves to be replaced by mortgaged poms is endearing but foolish.

You are probably right and you are not worth my effort to educate you and save you from your self but I am a kind old man and you arouse my sympathy.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.