Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

is there anyone out there wondering if its the right move to make new zealand (help)

is there anyone out there wondering if its the right move to make new zealand (help)

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 9:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by richard aa
we will probably be able to purchase a freehold property , a car , and maybe a few grand left and then thats it dollars only im afraid!!!! the current exchange rate means coming back with a lot less than we went with , im only average joe in a trade so big money is out of the question !! who knows many thanks and kind regards .
I'm the same when it comes to worrying, that you'll be able to provide for your kids, however a house paid for, a car paid for and still a bit left over means your've done better than most.

Richard list all the reasons you want to emigrate & then the reasons for staying, be honest with yourself, and then keep going thru that list and you'll find the answer yourself.

Your not alone, many are going thru the same process, nothing is forever and if it doesn't work, you won't be completely destitute!

The move to the other side of the world means doubts begin to surface, it a natural human instinct, a defence against change. Grab this opportunity and run with it, it may prove to be the start of a wonderful adventure
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 12:00 pm
richard aa

Originally posted by GetMeOutOfHere
I'm the same when it comes to worrying, that you'll be able to provide for your kids, however a house paid for, a car paid for and still a bit left over means your've done better than most.

Richard list all the reasons you want to emigrate & then the reasons for staying, be honest with yourself, and then keep going thru that list and you'll find the answer yourself.

Your not alone, many are going thru the same process, nothing is forever and if it doesn't work, you won't be completely destitute!

The move to the other side of the world means doubts begin to surface, it a natural human instinct, a defence against change. Grab this opportunity and run with it, it may prove to be the start of a wonderful adventure

many thanks darren thats an ideal way of looking at it, its nice to know other people feel the same , tell me it says your an ex brummie where are you now ?

Old Jul 23rd 2003, 12:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

salonit is on a distinguished road
Default Re: is there anyone out there wondering if its the right move to make new zealand (help)

Hi

u are moving to the otherside of the world....u r bound to have doubts, fears, uncertainty! we have only just sent our mediacls thru and I am originlally from Kenya and have no family here to make me homesick and I still wonder if i am making the right decision.....its a scray prospect!!! U r not the only one!

U are doing the right thing if u know thats its not very easy out there either but the quality of life is better so u dont mind working hard for it!!

Chin up! Be brave!
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 12:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Exit UK 23rd Mar 2004, arriving in NZ 29th Mar (stop off LA Disney)
GetMeOutOfHere is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by richard aa
many thanks darren thats an ideal way of looking at it, its nice to know other people feel the same , tell me it says your an ex brummie where are you now ?
Well I haven't lived in Brum for 15yrs, I'm in a place called Knowle in Solihull now. I was one of those who decided to get into area for decent schools for my kids, however that comes at a cost(fair sized mortgage!!)

I believe, Lichfield has a huge cathedral and not a bad place to live or am I wrong?

So when did you sell up, my house just isn't shifting, too many 4 bed detatched on the market and its a question of how desperate do I get. I've got a decent paid job and too be honest don't want to give the house away, as I'm not going to be in this situation again.

You said you've got enough to settle, is it the day-to-day living costs that worry you? What line of work are you in?
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 6:26 pm
IJS
Just Joined

IJS is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Richard aa - good luck to you all too.

Thanks Smithone for your Auckland weather update! Your story was interesting reading as we are in the same boat in terms of age, no kids, disillusioned with elements of London. We wonder whether we are mad leaving behind good careers, nice house etc. and it's just people of 'retirement' age who emigrate and can make the most of what places like NZ can offer. However, family and friends who know what we are doing (keeping it quiet from work etc at the moment!) say we are doing the right thing. Plus stories like yours help to convince us too.

GetMeOutOfHere: Knowle - know it well. We used to live in Monkspath and Hall Green.

A question for all before our packers come in to give us an estimate. We've heard conflicting stories so can anyone tell us if the following kind of UK bought items work in NZ?

TV/Video/Stereo/Mobile phone/Washing machine/Microwave oven/Bread maker (!)
If they do, are they worth shipping over or should we buy out there?

Many thanks
IJS
Old Jul 23rd 2003, 11:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

dracupg is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by IJS
A question for all before our packers come in to give us an estimate. We've heard conflicting stories so can anyone tell us if the following kind of UK bought items work in NZ?

TV/Video/Stereo/Mobile phone/Washing machine/Microwave oven/Bread maker (!)
If they do, are they worth shipping over or should we buy out there?

Many thanks
IJS
Your TV probably won’t be able to pick up the terrestrial channels directly to your TV. If your TV and video have digital inputs/output (e.g. Scart sockets) and you would be intending to get Satellite TV then I would defiantly bring them. We left a perfectly good TV back in the UK, and are kicking ourselves.

Mobile phone. Yes, bring it. Try to get your existing operator to “unblock� it first. Depending who your operator is and what sort of agreement you have, this shouldn’t be a problem. Even if you can’t get it unblocked, still bring it out. Your new supplier here may be able to do it, or some dodgy bloke on a street corner.

Bring all the appliances out that you can, but be prepared to bin them if they go wrong. You may not be able to get parts or someone prepared to service them.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 2:21 am
Forum Regular

Flyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey IJS,

It's not just the old people with families who emmigrate down under!! Me, I have just turned 30 got bored of London and came down here on my own and am having a great time. If you are an adrenalin junkie or just like the outdoors life you will have a great time here.

And yes, bring everything that you can as it saves buying new stuff when you arrive but the TV will not work unless you have sky. Having said that, the TV is pretty poor here and with so much to do who wants to be stuck inside!! I have just spent the morning sitting on my deck in brilliant sunshine with shorts and a t-shirt - try doing that in London in January!!!!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Flyboy
Hey IJS,

It's not just the old people with families who emmigrate down under!! Me, I have just turned 30 got bored of London and came down here on my own and am having a great time. If you are an adrenalin junkie or just like the outdoors life you will have a great time here.

And yes, bring everything that you can as it saves buying new stuff when you arrive but the TV will not work unless you have sky. Having said that, the TV is pretty poor here and with so much to do who wants to be stuck inside!! I have just spent the morning sitting on my deck in brilliant sunshine with shorts and a t-shirt - try doing that in London in January!!!!

Many people will have been to the British museum this morning and improved their mind, learnt something, made to think, try that anywhere in NZ at any time of the year. You have been to Te Papa in Wellington? Makes the UK's millenium dome look intellectual. It is good that people go to NZ for bungee jumping and the bush because it has little else to offer.

There is no such thing as NZ Tv from what I remember - it is about 20% UK, 50% US, 30% Aus Tv from what I recall, and the worst and cheapest of each country's TV too.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 2:49 am
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
Many people will have been to the British museum this morning and improved their mind, learnt something, made to think, try that anywhere in NZ at any time of the year. You have been to Te Papa in Wellington? Makes the UK's millenium dome look intellectual. It is good that people go to NZ for bungee jumping and the bush because it has little else to offer.

There is no such thing as NZ Tv from what I remember - it is about 20% UK, 50% US, 30% Aus Tv from what I recall, and the worst and cheapest of each country's TV too.
Great post - You clearly don't live in New Zealand if you have such a narrow minded view of what this country has to offer
Old Jul 24th 2003, 3:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by smithone
Great post - You clearly don't live in New Zealand if you have such a narrow minded view of what this country has to offer

You are right, I am not living in that particular country but have watched it tumble down the OECD rankings and Quality of Life tables over the years until it is barely clinging onto the bottom rung of the OECD ranking along with Mexico. I have done this from Oz, the land where something like 32,000 more kiwis come to live each year than go back. You know something the born and bred well educated kiwis do not? I am sorry for you if you are committed to NZ - its future is even more bleak than Oz and it is becoming so clear in recent years that I am surprised more cannot see it. I have many friends and rellies in NZ and some of them are finding life more and more difficult. You are enjoying the dangerous roads, the gang and drug problems, the high burglary rates, the chronic underemployment putting engineers in cleaning jobs, the average income of $27,000which gets you what 15,000 pounds would in the UK.

It is a beautiful country and many of the people are lovely to know (as are many in all countries of the world) but that is not enough for its future survival in this global market of ours. NZ is being left behind and "lifestyle" has to be paid for, even if your idea of that is a good pair of shoes for bush walking.

Try to tell me what Nz has to offer without mentioning sports or the great outdoors, because that is what my view tells me NZ has to offer anyone now. It is all you will have so make sure you enjoy it.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 3:52 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

NZ has some good points but have to completely agree with Wilf re the 'culture' side of life....there is little to stimulate the mind but alot to stimulate the body. When Kiwis attempt to compare their art galleries/museums/heritage with the best Europe has to offer I can only sit back and laugh! Ironically we thought that by paying several visits to Aus we would be satisfied in this department but found that to be only a rung or two above NZ! As for the weather....yes it is generally better here but I would be a sad individual if I based my decisions on that or suggested that one country is superior to another as a result.
Old Jul 24th 2003, 3:55 am
Forum Regular

SimonC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wilf
You are right, I am not living in that particular country but have watched it tumble down the OECD rankings and Quality of Life tables over the years until it is barely clinging onto the bottom rung of the OECD ranking along with Mexico. I have done this from Oz, the land where something like 32,000 more kiwis come to live each year than go back. You know something the born and bred well educated kiwis do not? I am sorry for you if you are committed to NZ - its future is even more bleak than Oz and it is becoming so clear in recent years that I am surprised more cannot see it. I have many friends and rellies in NZ and some of them are finding life more and more difficult. You are enjoying the dangerous roads, the gang and drug problems, the high burglary rates, the chronic underemployment putting engineers in cleaning jobs, the average income of $27,000which gets you what 15,000 pounds would in the UK.

It is a beautiful country and many of the people are lovely to know (as are many in all countries of the world) but that is not enough for its future survival in this global market of ours. NZ is being left behind and "lifestyle" has to be paid for, even if your idea of that is a good pair of shoes for bush walking.

Try to tell me what Nz has to offer without mentioning sports or the great outdoors, because that is what my view tells me NZ has to offer anyone now. It is all you will have so make sure you enjoy it.
Wilf,

You are talking out your arse, quality of life tables, pah! From someone who is here and enjoying a good quality of life with much more than the UK could ever offer me. I have 2 business and 2 rental properties (which pay for themselves) - all inside 6 months of arriving! No chance to do that in the UK.

But hey, it's what position NZ is on some poxy table that counts right?

As for the other crap, I won't even bother answering, NZ has it's problems same as anywhere but It does not help to generalise like you have.

Maybe you should relocate to the moon, at least there won't be anyone or thing to upset you there!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 3:57 am
Forum Regular

Flyboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Somebody is very bitter with NZ!!!!

Yeah, most kiwis go to OZ for the money and the sunshine but hey you want gangs, drugs and all then I suggest you spend some more time in London as I feel much safer in Auckland than I did in many places in the UK.

But at the end of the day it is all about personal experience and choice and I have lived in a lot of places and travelled to even more and I have found NZ to be the best so far! I admit I am not here for the money or even the weather, I am here as the people are all great and it is a great place to be for an outdoors lifestyle - if that doesn't appeal fine, just don't come and leave it all for us!!!!!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

When Ian Wright travelled to NZ to film his pilot series he said that he tried as hard as possible to find some w*****s but couldn't! He was right , I have met precious few guys I don't like. The women on the other hand!!!!!!!
Old Jul 24th 2003, 4:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by SimonC
Wilf,

You are talking out your arse, quality of life tables, pah! From someone who is here and enjoying a good quality of life with much more than the UK could ever offer me. I have 2 business and 2 rental properties (which pay for themselves) - all inside 6 months of arriving! No chance to do that in the UK.

But hey, it's what position NZ is on some poxy table that counts right?

As for the other crap, I won't even bother answering, NZ has it's problems same as anywhere but It does not help to generalise like you have.

Maybe you should relocate to the moon, at least there won't be anyone or thing to upset you there!

Where did the money for these properties and businesses come from? The UK or NZ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.