Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Are there any truck driving jobs?

Are there any truck driving jobs?

Old Jul 22nd 2014, 4:11 pm
Forum Regular

perkinsgap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are there any truck driving jobs?

Hi
i am just seeing if there any need for truck drivers in New Zealand
i have 10 yrs in UK as hgv claass 1 and also 10 years class 1 a in Canada and USA time for something else in my life
thx
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 4:30 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default re: Are there any truck driving jobs?

Hello,

Have you had a look at visas yet? Are you thinking of making it a permanent move or a temporary 'do something different for a bit' move?

Truck drivers are on the Canterbury Skills shortage list which means an employer there can offer you a job and you can apply for a temporary work visa.
The problem comes if you wanted residency. Truck drivers are not considered skilled and so cannot use the Skilled Migrant Category.
Your only option for residency would be a Work to Residence visa under the Talent [accredited employer] stream. You would need a job offer for at least two years with an accredited employer earning at least $55,000 for a 40hr week.
It is very difficult for a truck driver to attain this [though not impossible!] Relying on renewing work visas as and when does not give you security to remain long term and as soon as the job goes off the CSSL then it may not be renewed.
Not trying to put you off-it can be done but bear in mind that it will not necessarily be easy

Hope you don't mind but I've altered the title slightly. I'm in a pedantic kind of mood today and it was jarring somewhat
Old Jul 22nd 2014, 4:31 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are there any truck driving jobs?

Link to the NZ immi site: Immigration New Zealand | Official Government website

P