Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Therapy without a shrink

Therapy without a shrink

Old Aug 18th 2006, 2:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Therapy without a shrink

Hi
I found this website yesterday , loads of good info.
I have just got to get this off my chest cause my wife and I are climbing the wall with stress.
I am going to Christchurch on a student visa start oct 03. Paid 7 k so far only 3 weeks left to cancel it or no refund.
I am still waiting visa as NZI want info of convition 23 years ago. now waiting PNC records check will it come in time. Also having to explain why I punched soneone when I was 18. Just missed large redundancy payment at work as I could not be sure I would get the visa.
House is sold and am trying to manipulate the chain. Problems with dog.
Am I going to end up homeless and a lot more skint.

Sorry for boring you but it is like a good dose of therapy.
Has anyone else had any similiar experiences. : :scared:
Old Aug 18th 2006, 9:09 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Therapy without a shrink

Originally Posted by mcuddy1
Hi
I have just got to get this off my chest cause my wife and I are climbing the wall with stress.
I am going to Christchurch on a student visa start oct 03. Paid 7 k so far only 3 weeks left to cancel it or no refund.
I am still waiting visa as NZI want info of convition 23 years ago. now waiting PNC records check will it come in time. Also having to explain why I punched soneone when I was 18. Just missed large redundancy payment at work as I could not be sure I would get the visa.

Somewhat similar, I have a job starting 9th Oct - have been invited to apply but still waiting for police check (should be any day now as requested 4 weeks ago) and medical results, also any day. I said to Steve we need to be ready to put it all in the post as soon as it comes. Only then as we collected up various documents did we realise that the girl only has a short birth certificate. We have a date set to finish our tenancy, sold various articles and booked removals. Yes, it stressful! We might yet end up with no home and no jobs and no residency. I don't really see that happening - we tend to live a fine line between divine madness and certain lunacy and I haven't quite decided which category we are in this time! Maybe it's time for a beer!
Old Aug 18th 2006, 9:12 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
Somewhat similar, I have a job starting 9th Oct - have been invited to apply but still waiting for police check (should be any day now as requested 4 weeks ago) and medical results, also any day. I said to Steve we need to be ready to put it all in the post as soon as it comes. Only then as we collected up various documents did we realise that the girl only has a short birth certificate. We have a date set to finish our tenancy, sold various articles and booked removals. Yes, it stressful! We might yet end up with no home and no jobs and no residency. I don't really see that happening - we tend to live a fine line between divine madness and certain lunacy and I haven't quite decided which category we are in this time! Maybe it's time for a beer!
Should have added Stevie B probably knows about convictions from his past life in a far away dream state, he's on his last night shift tonight so give him a try
Old Aug 18th 2006, 9:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

Hi

You should be ok, most convictions are spent after 5 years at the most and, providing you had no more, one minor abberation so long ago will probably be accepted by NZIS.
Like Karen said, they seem to take forever for the police checks and I'm hoping they don't take as long as they say they will (which is 25 Aug having received our applications on 19 Jul!!) I think the last one Karen had done for her registration took about 30 days, so hopefully we'll get them soon.
What dog probs you having? If it's re shipping them then you might want to look at Guess the Weight of my Dogs thread and Can the Dog Come thread. Am Loolah's got 2 and mcuddy1 has 1
Old Aug 18th 2006, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StevieB
If it's re shipping them then you might want to look at Guess the Weight of my Dogs thread and Can the Dog Come thread. Am Loolah's got 2 and mcuddy1 has 1
StevieB its mcuddy1 that you're talking to.
Old Aug 18th 2006, 10:16 pm
conquering the world!

Originally Posted by Woodlea
He's at work so I know he's not pissed! (StevieB that is - I think mcuddy1 deserves to be pissed!)
Old Aug 18th 2006, 10:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

Ok, so I'm stupid!!
Old Aug 18th 2006, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Woodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond reputeWoodlea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StevieB
Ok, so I'm stupid!!
Well I'm pissed, so its all good therapy for mcuddy1, but I think he's had more sense and gone to bed...
Old Aug 19th 2006, 7:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

mcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to beholdmcuddy1 is a splendid one to behold

It's
funny how the frustration and stress disapear when I have drunk 4 cans of Stella.I actualy think I might get there one day.
Anybody out here have info on good primary schools near CHC,just in case.
Also which is the best airline we wet on Malasyian last year. I like curry but nothin else all day is a bit much. .
Cheers Stella number 2 and countin
Old Aug 19th 2006, 9:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

It's
funny how the frustration and stress disapear when I have drunk 4 cans of Stella.I actualy think I might get there one day.
Anybody out here have info on good primary schools near CHC,just in case.
Also which is the best airline we wet on Malasyian last year. I like curry but nothin else all day is a bit much. .
Cheers Stella number 2 and countin
Hello mcuddy1 - how's the stress now - yes Stella helps, I'm on the Speckled Hen and whiskey at the moment, so no stress now!

We're heading to Rangiora and the kids school (primary - Fernside) has a swimming pool, 200 pupils (twice the size of their current one) and a decile rating of nine.

Best airline is Singapore (malaysian good too), good food, as much booze as you can drink and loads of entertainment for the kids, plus they fly from Manchester.

Are you Scottish mcuddy1, with a name like that?
Old Aug 19th 2006, 9:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

nybody out here have info on good primary schools near CHC,just in case.
Hi we're in Halswell which has 2 primary schools - both considered to be good - Halswell primary and Oaklands primary. Halswell is a subdivision about 20mins from centre of christchurch - self sufficient in terms of facilities (supermarket, bank, pool etc etc)

Have you found the schools website - think its www.ero.govt.nz - gives you the recent inspection reports. Re: deciles - they reflect socio-economic status of the catchment area of the school, not necessarily performance - decile 1 is lowest, decile 10 is highest.
Vicki
Old Aug 20th 2006, 1:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hello mcuddy1 - how's the stress now - yes Stella helps, I'm on the Speckled Hen and whiskey at the moment, so no stress now!

We're heading to Rangiora and the kids school (primary - Fernside) has a swimming pool, 200 pupils (twice the size of their current one) and a decile rating of nine.

Best airline is Singapore (malaysian good too), good food, as much booze as you can drink and loads of entertainment for the kids, plus they fly from Manchester.

Are you Scottish mcuddy1, with a name like that?
HI
Thanks for the info,
Mcuddy1 is my logon id at work (how sad).
My name actually comes from Ireland and at this time I live in Derbyshire.
I have looked at renting in Rangiora too and the Immigration agent says it is nice.
I would like somewhere close to the mountains as I have to get my daily exercise fix,cycling or running up I don't mind.
Have you actually been there? , we travelled around North Island last year. Nice but traffic in Auckland a nightmare, so we thought we would try CHC.
Cheers
Martin.
Old Aug 20th 2006, 1:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Joshlin
Hi we're in Halswell which has 2 primary schools - both considered to be good - Halswell primary and Oaklands primary. Halswell is a subdivision about 20mins from centre of christchurch - self sufficient in terms of facilities (supermarket, bank, pool etc etc)

Have you found the schools website - think its www.ero.govt.nz - gives you the recent inspection reports. Re: deciles - they reflect socio-economic status of the catchment area of the school, not necessarily performance - decile 1 is lowest, decile 10 is highest.
Vicki
Hi Thaks for the info my wife has been looking at the website you suggested she is looking for something smallish as our kids go to a small village school.
Whnt is the traffic like in CHC can you cycle in safely?.
Thanks
Martin
Old Aug 21st 2006, 6:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Thaks for the info my wife has been looking at the website you suggested she is looking for something smallish as our kids go to a small village school.
Whnt is the traffic like in CHC can you cycle in safely?.
Thanks
Martin
lots of people cycle in chch - there are a number of the roads with designated cycle lanes on them - quite a few also tackle the port hills and surrounding areas - apple12 is in chch and I think I'm right in saying he's a keen cycler. Halswell is great - close enough to go into chch if you need to (I work in town) but as it's self contained you get that smaller village feel. It's also on the route out of chch to Akaroa / Arthurs Pass etc
Old Aug 21st 2006, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

HI
Thanks for the info,
Mcuddy1 is my logon id at work (how sad).
My name actually comes from Ireland and at this time I live in Derbyshire.
I have looked at renting in Rangiora too and the Immigration agent says it is nice.
I would like somewhere close to the mountains as I have to get my daily exercise fix,cycling or running up I don't mind.
Have you actually been there? , we travelled around North Island last year. Nice but traffic in Auckland a nightmare, so we thought we would try CHC.
Cheers
Martin.
Big how d'ya do to you bro. 4 arrests,1 conviction-all alcohol related,last one 10 yrs ago (I'm behaving now),inc assaulting a police off,b&e into a car, and 1 for the scousers like meself-theft!! Was only guilty of a couple-anyway-declared the lot-always have,so far no bother,police check has been sent and no bad comeback as yet-will let you know. Hope this reassures in some way.Come on you boys in Green.