Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

And then there was one

And then there was one

Old Mar 5th 2008, 8:35 pm
Just Joined

Wottodo is a jewel in the roughWottodo is a jewel in the roughWottodo is a jewel in the roughWottodo is a jewel in the roughWottodo is a jewel in the rough
Default And then there was one

Getting the impression that it can be pretty isolated in NZ, so what happens when, ultimately, one of a couple dies?
Does the remaining individual sell up and come back?
Is it the same without someone to share it with?
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:05 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: And then there was one

I've never thought about that. Interesting question. I'm not sure if there's a trend or not.
Old Mar 5th 2008, 9:39 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I have been thinking about this a little, but have no definitive answer for you.
I can see that if I 'go', then himself will stay here in NZ . However, if he were the one to 'go, I am not sure I would remain. I rather feel that as long as I had my health and some $$$, I would become something of a nomad.

True story
I know of a couple in their 40's that migrated here to NZ. He suddenly popped his clogs leaving the OH utterly on her own. Close neighbours helped and supported her. She was given a part-time job within her local community and that community kept an eye on her . She went back to the UK to explore the options of returning but chose to return to NZ. Really special friendships were formed between herself and the local kiwis here . She was included and nurtured. A couple of years later, she is thriving and happy.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:39 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

It's the same for couples who split up once they get here. From my own personal experience, I know it is possible to pick up the pieces and carry on. I moved from Hamilton to Porirua last November and have started a new life here for myself and my daughter. The ex-pats from this forum have been amazing - I honestly don't know how well I would have managed without their support and encouragement, so thanks again people
So, life goes on when there is one - and it ain't that bad
Karen
Old Mar 6th 2008, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

we've had some discussions around this - as morbid as it might be!
the harder question for us has been what should we put in our will re: the children if we both left this world! Logically they should go back to the UK where the majority of their extended family is, but emotionally, they are very settled and have strong friendships here - my daughter doesn't even have any memories of the UK!!
no easy answer
Old Mar 6th 2008, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Nice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond reputeNice Guy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Nooky..........

Does one have nooky in heaven???

Or is it purely for mortal forms???

Blimey a life without nooky and even worse an eternity of after-life without nooky..................sends a shudder down my spine!

Pass the Prosac!!

NG
Old Mar 6th 2008, 5:44 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Does one have nooky in heaven???
Good ol' Mr Nice Guy... I like consistent people who can be relied on