British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Theft from post and parcels (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/theft-post-parcels-669927/)

Stuee May 27th 2010 7:39 am

Theft from post and parcels

I have been here 10 years now, and i have to say i am bloody fed up of receiving cards from the UK opened and food parcels etc never making it. Can no one be trusted anymore anywhere.

We returned to the UK for a year a few years back, just to see how we felt, brought a car back to nz with us which i put in the container myself in southampton. Car had loads of bit and bobs in it, pick it up here, every tom dick and harry from customs to the broker that landed it went through my stuff and had a right good old time. Loads of stuff missing, cds, dvds, trainers. I am an ex plod from the uk and stuff like this makes my blood boil.

Sorry rant over, still nice the rain stopped for a bit today

Genesis May 27th 2010 7:45 am

Re: Theft from post and parcels

Originally Posted by Stuee (Post 8592964)
I have been here 10 years now, and i have to say i am bloody fed up of receiving cards from the UK opened and food parcels etc never making it. Can no one be trusted anymore anywhere.

We returned to the UK for a year a few years back, just to see how we felt, brought a car back to nz with us which i put in the container myself in southampton. Car had loads of bit and bobs in it, pick it up here, every tom dick and harry from customs to the broker that landed it went through my stuff and had a right good old time. Loads of stuff missing, cds, dvds, trainers. I am an ex plod from the uk and stuff like this makes my blood boil.

I am ex plod too. You have been really unlucky. We have never had ought nicked other than the odd 100k from the finance co that royaly shafted us so I know how you feel mate. I was met then Northants. I am now retired (yeah right) bringing up young 3 kids whilst her indoors (or should I say 'outdoors') goes stratospheric in her nursing career. Are you bringing your plod pension over here? I am just getting mine valued to see if its worth it.

Stuee May 27th 2010 7:58 am

I only had 5 years in (Wilts) and spent my pension years ago. when we first got here i had the intention of joining back up but after going on the scope thingy with them decided that the NZ police wasnt for me, absolutely gutted at the time and regret it somewhat now but hey ho. (came 3 years before they started poaching uk cops)But yup perhaps we have bad luck but i rarely get a birthday or xmas card unopened and as i mentioned above another parcel gone awol.

Still feel better now i moaned to hoards of faceless strangers on an internet forum :lol:

pricklykina May 27th 2010 8:23 am

I get my parcels sent to work because I'm paranoid

Am Loolah May 27th 2010 9:46 am

Clearly the long-winded, boring crap my mother writes doesn't warrant inspection or theft. I wish it did ... :sneaky:

Far be it from her to actually send anything of use, Louis Vuitton handbags/shoes, bottles of Bollinger/cash etc. etc.:o

Gizmo27 May 27th 2010 10:19 am

If a car in a container with other items got opened and some of the items pinched, should I get concerned about having around £4000 of assorted electronic gizmos and gadgets shipped in a container?

The items are not exactly small or rare (Smallest is maybe 18" x 9" x 6" & I can replace them if need be), but they do hold sentimental value for me over their actual retail value. The reason I am getting them shipped as opposed to my parents bringing them over is their weight. Each items is at least 5kg and fairly delicate. Solid wooden packing crates have been made for them and they are all well packed in them, but of course that doubled the weights at least!!

simonsi May 27th 2010 4:58 pm

and food parcels etc

Aren't customs paranoid regarding food coming in due to the bio-security rules? If so surely post won't be any different??

Have had two sets of references go astray going into NZ already though and we aren't even there yet :)

Mind you, RM loses our stuff all the time...

Stuee May 27th 2010 10:02 pm

I shouldnt worry about your container so much. I loosely chucked a load of stuff in the car, organised the shipping myself, the car had to be checked and xrayed, then went to the brokers depot where it got unpacked again, so plenty of opportunity to rifle my stuff. I also made the mistake of not itemizing the contents like you do when your container is professionally packed. When you first come out and bring your gear the companies that bring you have too much to loose, reputation etc. I sure youll be fine.

Stuee May 27th 2010 10:04 pm

The food parcel was stuff like Walkers crisps, choc bars etc nothing that has a problem with MAF. To be honest you can get most of it here for a heavily inflated price but family like to send stuff for my boys.

MnB May 27th 2010 10:08 pm

Maybe a stupid question but what happens if the goodies sent from the UK are insured??:o can you not claim if they dont arrive??

B x

SDDep May 27th 2010 10:14 pm

THIEVING ****!!! is it the NZ customs people do you know? For what its worth have you ever filed a complaint with them? My brother lives there I'll check with him and see if he's had that problem...

I'd be ticked off too..I'm ex-mod plod (kinda) and currently on the job in sunny so-cal.. sorry mate..that aint even right...

scrubbedexpat094 May 27th 2010 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by Am Loolah (Post 8593142)
Clearly the long-winded, boring crap my mother writes doesn't warrant inspection or theft. I wish it did ... :sneaky:

Far be it from her to actually send anything of use, Louis Vuitton handbags/shoes, bottles of Bollinger/cash etc. etc.:o

:rofl::rofl::rofl: Tried to give you some karma for this but I have to spread it around ;)

hazeandsteve May 28th 2010 11:52 pm

Is it possible that UK chocolate would be banned as it's dairy produce, and BSE fears mean UK milk products are forbidden?

As for post theft, not had it as far as I'm aware, even had a hard drive sitting in the mail box shelf for a couple of days before I noticed it.
Container all arrived fine.

BEVS May 29th 2010 1:28 am

Nope. We just received 3 bars of Galaxy for husband & 2 pots of gravy granules for me.

Are you sure this isn't a neighbour or local lowlife nicking out of your post box?

Friend of mine felt she had the same sort of problem with cards not arriving and parcels being tampered with. Turned out it was a local youth pilfering .

helinuk May 29th 2010 4:19 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 8597136)
Nope. We just received 3 bars of Galaxy for husband & 2 pots of gravy granules for me.

Bevs. FYI
I went to 'New world' in Tauranga last week and bought Galaxy and bisto granules. :) a lovely treat!

The few pacels we've had by post have all arrived safely.:thumbsup: