Tesco's

Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tesco's

Food is ridiculously expensive in NZ, it's cheaper to buy Anchor butter in the UK for example. The choice in the UK is much better of course, and there are far more ready meals. They are extremely good at marketing things over there as well.

But, UK supermarket food is generally very tasteless. And who really needs 16 brands of washing powder to chose from.

And once I actually learnt to cook with fresh ingredients from local farm shops in Sussex, supermarket ready meals tasted like slop in comparison.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
i heard the indian food over there is much better than here so im very pleased about that as i love a good curray , and in most places in the world they are crap. even down south in the uk they are crap IMO tho only basing this on what my sister says as she lives in england and a bad curray i had while in doncaster one time .. yuk

i tasted a fillet steak on a bbq for 1st time 3 months ago at a friend who is a kiwi and mo ving home this month and i swore i would never eat a steak unless bbq as what a diff so much more juicier and tastier, so first thing we doing is buying a bbq for a tasty fillet steak

sorry indian food in NZ is dire

Oh and try a griddle for steak
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie_nz
sorry indian food in NZ is dire

Oh and try a griddle for steak
i have a griddle and a george forman but you dont get the same flavour, i had never tasted anything so tasty
Old Nov 11th 2008, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

i have a griddle and a george forman but you dont get the same flavour, i had never tasted anything so tasty
so essentially you like bbq food
Old Nov 11th 2008, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

lol i hadnt tasted a steak on it b4 infact we didnt even own one until after i tasted the steak a friend cooked for us, apart from that i love mushrooms cooked on it yummmmm and bacon mmmmmmm

i dont even know y food taste different i mean it was just a gas bbq not even charcoal so really you would think it would taste the same as something cooked on a griddel or foreman
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:29 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by nelsonpom
Both are done for western tastes. Do you really think butter chicken is huge in India. I have found a lot of bad indian food in both uk and nz and good in both. But neither really taste like the food I had in India ...
Dont take what i say too serious love

Dont like Butter chicken btw
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kepow
anyone who lives near Whangarei should try the Saturday morning market. Fantastic, fresh local produce and much cheaper than you can buy in the local supermarket.

Wish there was something as great near me in the UK.
We have one here in Nelson too, excellent pricing and lasts much longer in the chiller than the over-priced stuff from the supermarkets.

Grocery shopping doesn't have to be expensive in this country but the difference will come down to whether or not there is a cook in the home, if not and a lot of the budget is spent on 'conveninece foods then it can be expensive.

When I first returned to this town I was unhappy with the lack of competition in the curry restaurant market and it meant the menus did not represent value for money to me.....and I was sad about this situation this has had an unexpected result though and with the help of Binn Inn, my green house, local veg market and The Curry Bible I am now an out-standing Indian cook [Will be opening a restaurant next, you wait!] And as a side note I manage to make the time to do it.
I still have the same 24 hours in the day that I had in UK but I have had to become better organised, and that in turn makes me fell better so I will pass on the cheap and nasty of Tescos, thanks but no thanks.

Sirloin steak $21.99 kg this week - Countdown
Old Nov 11th 2008, 5:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by janek
We have one here in Nelson too, excellent pricing and lasts much longer in the chiller than the over-priced stuff from the supermarkets.

Grocery shopping doesn't have to be expensive in this country but the difference will come down to whether or not there is a cook in the home, if not and a lot of the budget is spent on 'conveninece foods then it can be expensive.

When I first returned to this town I was unhappy with the lack of competition in the curry restaurant market and it meant the menus did not represent value for money to me.....and I was sad about this situation this has had an unexpected result though and with the help of Binn Inn, my green house, local veg market and The Curry Bible I am now an out-standing Indian cook [Will be opening a restaurant next, you wait!] And as a side note I manage to make the time to do it.
I still have the same 24 hours in the day that I had in UK but I have had to become better organised, and that in turn makes me fell better so I will pass on the cheap and nasty of Tescos, thanks but no thanks.

plz tell me where you get this bible from as i love cooking my own food so would love to own it, im not big on convenience foods either so im sure i will be ok
Old Nov 11th 2008, 6:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

plz tell me where you get this bible from as i love cooking my own food so would love to own it, im not big on convenience foods either so im sure i will be ok

I will PM you on this.
Old Nov 11th 2008, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

ok ty janek
Old Nov 11th 2008, 9:12 pm
Forum Regular

JoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to allJoJo76 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kepow
anyone who lives near Whangarei should try the Saturday morning market. Fantastic, fresh local produce and much cheaper than you can buy in the local supermarket.

Wish there was something as great near me in the UK.
Can't wait to try the farmers markets.

Not there yet but on our recce visit I thought they had quite good varieties and when they say king size on their chocolate bars they mean it don't they. Heard people say NZ cadburys choc is awful but I suppose my taste buds had changed by the time I finished it.

Can't wait to come over all geeky and grow my own vegetables too. Has anyone else done this?
Old Nov 11th 2008, 10:10 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janek

Hi Janek if poss could you let me know name of the curry bible. Also have you tried mango in town, we really enjoy it here.
Darren
Old Nov 11th 2008, 11:50 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=JoJo76;6963483

Can't wait to come over all geeky and grow my own vegetables too. Has anyone else done this?[/QUOTE]

Here!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570336
Old Nov 12th 2008, 12:54 am
Forum Regular

sonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud ofsonandbill has much to be proud of

i heard the indian food over there is much better than here so im very pleased about that as i love a good curray , and in most places in the world they are crap. even down south in the uk they are crap IMO tho only basing this on what my sister says as she lives in england and a bad curray i had while in doncaster one time .. yuk

i tasted a fillet steak on a bbq for 1st time 3 months ago at a friend who is a kiwi and mo ving home this month and i swore i would never eat a steak unless bbq as what a diff so much more juicier and tastier, so first thing we doing is buying a bbq for a tasty fillet steak
sorry to disappoint you but curries here are crap they are full of salt and onion bajais are onion rings!!!!1
Old Nov 12th 2008, 1:10 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

sonandbill - they taste like Onion rings? or they are onion rings? That's a bit of a pain either way for ya!

I love bajais (although, obviously cant spell it) but haven't actually eaten them as a main in indian restaurant - only as a starter. Or at Indian friends houses.

I know a lot of British people dislike the mildness of the curries - I think that's why in a few Indian restaurants - at least here in Wellington - they now say Mild, Medium, Hot, English Hot, Indian Hot!

One thing I noticed about supermarkets in New Zealand was the completely lovely smell of fresh fruit and vegetables. I totally didn't notice that before. Still makes me want to cut off peoples limbs in pak n save, but the fresh fruit at least provides a nice ambience.

I also noticed the cost of the home brand stuff back in NZ. There wasn't the really really really cheap option available - brilliant if having a party and needing stuff like chips & drink. I suppose also if you are a student/really on a budget and needing 9p baked beans as well. That kind of supercheapness isn't readily available in NZ supermarkets.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.