British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Tesco V NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/tesco-v-nz-898736/)

LoCarb Jun 30th 2017 4:39 am

Tesco V NZ

We need a Tesco please...

Focus: NZ vs UK grocery showdown - NZ Herald Video

Charismatic Jun 30th 2017 11:48 am

Re: Tesco V NZ

We have a duopoly in food distribution infrastructure and sales. Unless you unbundle those (a la broadband) or get more players into the market food prices are unlikely to go anywhere quickly. There might also be mitigating circumstances on fresh produce that can be grown year round as the UK has continents nearby and CAP subsidisation likely make milk slightly cheaper.

Saw some soft fruit farming numpty complaining the other day that when he voted for brexit he never realised it would stop his access to cheap eastern European labour. I was laughing, wait until he realises farmers in France etc. will retain that ability to hire for picking and drive him out of business.

Pom_Chch Jun 30th 2017 9:57 pm

Well, wouldn't that have been even more fun if she put bell peppers in the basket :blink:

It's there clear as day, some foods in NZ are more expensive. But, we don't spend that much more on groceries here in NZ compared to when we were in the UK. Perhaps we shop differently now. I sure as sh1t aint putting La Rustique into my basket in NZ, anyone thinking that's a fair comparison is mental (and stupid).

BEVS Jul 1st 2017 12:24 am

Originally Posted by Charismatic (Post 12283813)
We have a duopoly in food distribution infrastructure and sales. Unless you unbundle those (a la broadband) or get more players into the market food prices are unlikely to go anywhere quickly. There might also be mitigating circumstances on fresh produce that can be grown year round as the UK has continents nearby and CAP subsidisation likely make milk slightly cheaper.

Yup.

Food and grocery prices over the past 5/10 years have risen considerably & some quality foodstuffs remain ridiculously expensive .

I had no idea what Rustique was until a quick google but cheese is an example.

As an aside ,books are another but in my defence books are food for the mind and soul.

I'm not actually at all interested in the never ending UK NZ comparisons as that is apples and pears.

I am however concerned that the rising costs of groceries and essentials against the static take home pay packet means less money to go round. Not just for us. We are older and can cushion this although it means less disposable income and so restricts lifestyle. I mean more for those on low incomes - of which there are very many - who find shopping for decent food is really beyond their means in real terms.

NZ needs a shift in its thinking to ensure that all the people of its country can afford the basics.

LoCarb Jul 1st 2017 12:55 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 12284439)

NZ needs a shift in its thinking to ensure that all the people of its country can afford the basics.

Taking GST off food would be a start.

Mark Smith Jul 3rd 2017 11:37 pm

In the 6 years of being here my salary has gone up by a whopping 1.2%. Another 10 years and i'm out of this profession as other low or non skilled jobs catch up or overtake my salary. Probably a good other few professions in the middle like this, looking at the rising cost of living and assessing options.

That said, I bet if I was still in the UK, I'd still be in the same position (Minus freehold house).

BEVS Jul 3rd 2017 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by LoCarb (Post 12284447)

Absolutely.

Originally Posted by Mark Smith (Post 12286202)
In the 6 years of being here my salary has gone up by a whopping 1.2%.

Same here.

bearskin Jul 19th 2017 9:34 am

Originally Posted by LoCarb (Post 12284447)

Yes, that

barnsleymat Jul 23rd 2017 2:11 pm

I reckon now we're back in the UK we spend almost 70% less a week on groceries than we did in Dunedin.

That goes for utility bills, broadband and rent/mortgage too.

MASSIVE savings

God bless Aldi and the Utility Warehouse.