Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Terrified of making the wrong move

Terrified of making the wrong move

Old Apr 9th 2016, 2:31 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Terrified of making the wrong move

Originally Posted by Cindyf67
What is the reason for wanting to return to the UK?
I need to get a job and that's just not happening here, despite my best efforts.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 3:11 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
When a person is struggling with a major decision they need support. It is not a competition against countries.
I sat with a work colleague a few weeks ago who is from Poland. She misses home so much and was quite upset. We talked about what she missed about Poland and what she didn't like about the UK. I didn't feel the need or want to defend the UK. This was not the time or the place.
I also did not put her country down.
Yup !

I find this happens in NZ the minute a person decides they want to return home. A huge defensive wall appears. The UK is far from perfect and so is NZ. Every country has its flaws.
I know. It is tedious .

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 9th 2016 at 3:18 am.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 3:51 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Terrified of making the wrong move

Disagree strongly. I came to realise indecision makes people unhappy, sure weigh up the pros and cons but don’t sit on your hands because there is only misery available through fretting. There is nothing to be gained in wallowing in self-doubt or pity. Make the choice, then get on with living and being happy.

I suppose some discussions do require a nuanced and interpretative discussion, sharing of sentiments and sympathies, a little heart to heart...but some people just need a shove. As I'm sure you've guessed my career as a mental health professional never got off the ground but indecision is a choice, the question is will you keep making that choice while your life trickles away day-by-day in an inconsequential limbo.

Pour your energy into moving or get them dreams out of you head sweetheart. Either way you can be happy.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

PB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond reputePB65 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh my goodness, how awful - no I have never seen that in the UK and I am near London!

There are lots of changes in the UK, but every country has its for's and against's - I am proud to come from the UK and will always take pride in that, but I am just aiming for a better quality of life in NZ.

Nobody should judge, we all have a right to live (subject to visas of course ) where we want to be, NZ is not right for everybody, the same as the UK is not right for some too. The UK has a lot going for it, free healthcare and education but with D Cameron in power a lot of changes are being made - and some not for the better .

What's that about ? I thought people learned to have a positive frame of since living in New Zealand.
Sorry but had to take the bait on the D Cameron comment. Politicians are all same regardless of party or country they make promises they cannot keep and people still have memories of the Tony Blair government prior to Cameron. Corbyn is hardly a fit person to get into power either but then again at least UK doesnt have a Donald Trump that could be multiple times a worse prospect and immigration numbers would rise accordingly.

Last edited by PB65; Apr 9th 2016 at 7:28 am.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Hazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond reputeHazelnut has a reputation beyond repute

Charismatic has some wise words. We were lucky and managed to visit NZ for a fact finding and biggest holiday of our lives trip. What that helped us decide was that we wanted to make the move, have the adventure and explore new things. Although it's taking us ages, and we're still not there, being certain that we want to move from where we are now has been a solid base to build everything else round. Like all new things we know there will be some aspects we'll find challenging and some we'll find amazing but it's all part of the adventure. Most of it will be mainstream, everyday stuff. Our line for new adventure versus security of staying in the UK was the type of visa we applied for. On a short term visa we could have been out there a year ago but we wanted the security of an SMC visa before spending scary amounts of money moving.

We've also said we'll do a minimum of five years, having done one big move in the UK to where we had no friends, family or support I'd say a year isn't enough to base permanent decisions on. I cried a LOT during our first six months here! The working practices were very different to what I'd know before, I didn't understand the local accent, the rented house we were in was in a very rough area where the shops had security grills down on the windows even when open, money was tight and I had no friends. There was no internet or mobile phones then so it was truly isolating. I didn't see my parents for two years or my sister for five years after we moved. My Nan died without me seeing her again as we couldn't afford the flight that was the only way to get there in time, no budget airlines back then.

Looking back it was probably the lowest point of our lives but we survived and then thrived. It was the best move we ever made and we've both had career, housing and life opportunities we could never have had where we lived before. I also have some of the best friends I've ever had. The turning point for MrH was about nine months in when we bought our own house. For me it was about 18months after we'd settled more and made friends in the local community. At the five year mark we did a review and said this was where we wanted to stay and we've been here for over 20yrs.

Life is never predictable though and the universe has decided to give us another chance at a major adventure to keep us young We're grabbing it with open arms. It's taken a period of mental adjustment for us both and retraining for me but we're ready to leave here and move forwards now.
Old Apr 9th 2016, 9:40 pm
Just Joined

fourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of lightfourseasons is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, it is very tedious to have to deal with the comments when you announce you are going home with even a hint of the things you don't like. I soon stopped that and just give some vague reasons for returning whilst highlighting the things I do think are great about living here.

I sincerely hope that things will have changed when I go back, that's what happens. My life has changed, the lives of my family and friends have changed. Some changes will be good, others not so good. I have been home since we came here so have seen it for myself albeit in holiday mode. Since I've been here Auckland has changed and a lot of the changes have not been for the better. Judging by the current exodus to Tauranga and the like, Kiwis also agree with this.

Another thing I think people forget about migrants is that, if they are coming to NZ, they are highly qualified with good jobs with something to offer the country. This also means, almost certainly, that they have nice homes, cars, access to good schools - just a nice life style. I'm not going to apologise for expecting to be able to replicate this pretty closely when arriving here. It soon becomes draining when things you think are going to be pretty easy to sort prove time consuming and expensive. It is also draining (although I laugh about it now) when your experience and qualifications aren't quite good enough - you need Kiwi experience, even when there aren't any kiwis with that experience because you just can't get it here!

Anyway on to why we're going home. As I'm sure is true for others, it is a combination of factors. Lot of things I miss about the UK - family, friends, culture, proper seasons, great schools, decent newspapers, good TV, beautiful varied countryside, proximity to Europe, my beautiful home but most of all it's the feeling of belonging. When I returned to the UK for a holiday last year, I cried when I arrived, I had come home to the familiar and safe.

There simply isn't enough to keep us here.
- Personally I have been disappointed with education. I think my children will have much better options long term if they are educated in the UK. Standards vary a lot.
- The housing is terrible unless you have $$$
- Customer Service - what's that again?
- Limited choices when it comes to shopping
- Food more expensive, especially seasonally
- NZ overall is pretty insular

For balance, here are the things I like about living here:
- Hauraki harbour is beautiful
- Love going to the beach, surfing etc
- Weather is good, generally although it does rain more than you expect and it is colder for longer than I expected
- Coffee cultures - lots of little individual coffee shops
- Eating out - we do that more here and find it very reasonable, especially all the Asian food
- Proximity to Australia
Old Apr 13th 2016, 1:38 pm
Forum Regular

Cindyf67 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kotare
Not at all. It is 'the grass is greener' syndrome whether coming to NZ or leaving NZ for xx.

First 20 years of our marriage we lived in ten countries, 17 houses yabba yabba and one of the things I have learnt is you can't go back! Places change, people change etc so at a minimum you need to treat it as a new experience rather than a return to a previous life.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by simonsi
Its fear. Fear that because others have found they made a "bad" choice, they may have made a similar bad choice but don't realise it yet. Its a variant of the herd instinct.
I agree, I am a bit of a worrier (that's being nice to myself!). I have probably over analysed everything, but because it is involving my daughter too, and such a drastic move for us, I am in total fear of the unknown - and of course, if it will work for us.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 1:43 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
I need to get a job and that's just not happening here, despite my best efforts.
That is one of my biggest worries. I could not cope with not working, it is extremely important to me and being at home all day not knowing anyone, would send me into total despair and on the first plane back. I spoke with one of the agencies last week, who was very honest in that I probably could secure a job (contract or temping), but a permanent one would be hard - I will be giving up a lot in the UK to risk that so I think I will have to look into this further. I am sorry you have not been able to secure work.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Disagree strongly. I came to realise indecision makes people unhappy, sure weigh up the pros and cons but don’t sit on your hands because there is only misery available through fretting. There is nothing to be gained in wallowing in self-doubt or pity. Make the choice, then get on with living and being happy.

I agree, and this is probably one of my downfalls in that looking into everything so deeply can make you become very positive one minute, and very negative the next . I have never wallowed in self pity, I am a go getter to a large extent, and know that things in life have to be worked at to accomplish friends/work etc.

I suppose some discussions do require a nuanced and interpretative discussion, sharing of sentiments and sympathies, a little heart to heart...but some people just need a shove. As I'm sure you've guessed my career as a mental health professional never got off the ground but indecision is a choice, the question is will you keep making that choice while your life trickles away day-by-day in an inconsequential limbo.

That quote did make me laugh, but I clearly see your point, life does trickle away at a very fast pace and if we leave it too long, we won't have a choice to enter NZ.

Pour your energy into moving or get them dreams out of you head sweetheart. Either way you can be happy.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 1:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by PB65
Sorry but had to take the bait on the D Cameron comment. Politicians are all same regardless of party or country they make promises they cannot keep and people still have memories of the Tony Blair government prior to Cameron. Corbyn is hardly a fit person to get into power either but then again at least UK doesnt have a Donald Trump that could be multiple times a worse prospect and immigration numbers would rise accordingly.
I agree, they are all full of air, with broken and empty promises. Donald Trump - on my - what a thought - I am so glad he is not up for the election in the UK, I would then exit extremely promptly!
Old Apr 13th 2016, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hazelnut
Charismatic has some wise words. We were lucky and managed to visit NZ for a fact finding and biggest holiday of our lives trip. What that helped us decide was that we wanted to make the move, have the adventure and explore new things. Although it's taking us ages, and we're still not there, being certain that we want to move from where we are now has been a solid base to build everything else round. Like all new things we know there will be some aspects we'll find challenging and some we'll find amazing but it's all part of the adventure. Most of it will be mainstream, everyday stuff. Our line for new adventure versus security of staying in the UK was the type of visa we applied for. On a short term visa we could have been out there a year ago but we wanted the security of an SMC visa before spending scary amounts of money moving.

I agree Hazelnut, we are looking for a new adventure too, but with a small pickle in tow we cannot take risks that we would probably take, had it been just the two of us. My niece is so very happy there, and was a typical London young girl - she adores the life there, and the one thing that she loves the most is the people. She has made some lovely friends in NZ.

We've also said we'll do a minimum of five years, having done one big move in the UK to where we had no friends, family or support I'd say a year isn't enough to base permanent decisions on. I cried a LOT during our first six months here! The working practices were very different to what I'd know before, I didn't understand the local accent, the rented house we were in was in a very rough area where the shops had security grills down on the windows even when open, money was tight and I had no friends. There was no internet or mobile phones then so it was truly isolating. I didn't see my parents for two years or my sister for five years after we moved. My Nan died without me seeing her again as we couldn't afford the flight that was the only way to get there in time, no budget airlines back then.

Looking back it was probably the lowest point of our lives but we survived and then thrived. It was the best move we ever made and we've both had career, housing and life opportunities we could never have had where we lived before. I also have some of the best friends I've ever had. The turning point for MrH was about nine months in when we bought our own house. For me it was about 18months after we'd settled more and made friends in the local community. At the five year mark we did a review and said this was where we wanted to stay and we've been here for over 20yrs.

That is a lovely post, and I am so glad things worked out for you. Life can be so very hard and testing at times, but I often think that sometimes it makes us better people.

Life is never predictable though and the universe has decided to give us another chance at a major adventure to keep us young We're grabbing it with open arms. It's taken a period of mental adjustment for us both and retraining for me but we're ready to leave here and move forwards now.
That is in a way how I feel, I have always wanted to live overseas for the last 15/20 years. I nearly went to Australia 15 years ago, but at the time it wasn't the right time to move as I had a lot of commitment in the UK. I will of course miss my family greatly, my sister will eventually come to Australia to be near one of her daughters. But as a lot of people have said on BE, the move has to be for us, about us and the life it will offer us. The UK is a great place to live, and I would never slate it. We need to make a firm commitment as to what we are going to do, for sanity for us all.

BE is a great place to get to the nitty gritty, I truly appreciate finding this forum.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fourseasons
Yes, it is very tedious to have to deal with the comments when you announce you are going home with even a hint of the things you don't like. I soon stopped that and just give some vague reasons for returning whilst highlighting the things I do think are great about living here.

Every person has a right to be happy.

I sincerely hope that things will have changed when I go back, that's what happens. My life has changed, the lives of my family and friends have changed. Some changes will be good, others not so good. I have been home since we came here so have seen it for myself albeit in holiday mode. Since I've been here Auckland has changed and a lot of the changes have not been for the better. Judging by the current exodus to Tauranga and the like, Kiwis also agree with this.

Another thing I think people forget about migrants is that, if they are coming to NZ, they are highly qualified with good jobs with something to offer the country. This also means, almost certainly, that they have nice homes, cars, access to good schools - just a nice life style. I'm not going to apologise for expecting to be able to replicate this pretty closely when arriving here. It soon becomes draining when things you think are going to be pretty easy to sort prove time consuming and expensive. It is also draining (although I laugh about it now) when your experience and qualifications aren't quite good enough - you need Kiwi experience, even when there aren't any kiwis with that experience because you just can't get it here!

That is one of the worries for us, we are both of normal educational background, but not professionals in the sense of the word, we will be coming to live a normal life and by the sounds of the prices of property we may struggle - Auckland, I think, is a definite no no as it will be out of our price range, but it does offer more jobs especially for me, so it may be a bit of a catch 22 for us. Experience is something we will be reliant on when we apply for jobs.

Anyway on to why we're going home. As I'm sure is true for others, it is a combination of factors. Lot of things I miss about the UK - family, friends, culture, proper seasons, great schools, decent newspapers, good TV, beautiful varied countryside, proximity to Europe, my beautiful home but most of all it's the feeling of belonging. When I returned to the UK for a holiday last year, I cried when I arrived, I had come home to the familiar and safe.

That is so sad to hear, but lovely for you to be going "home". I wish you all the best when you return to the UK.

- Personally I have been disappointed with education. I think my children will have much better options long term if they are educated in the UK. Standards vary a lot.

That's not good to hear.

- Weather is good, generally although it does rain more than you expect and it is colder for longer than I expected
- Eating out - we do that more here and find it very reasonable, especially all the Asian food
- Proximity to Australia
We all love the beach and my daughter is a very outdoor girl, so this would be a very big plus point. Rain noooo! My niece and eventually (my sister) will be Australia so that is a very big plus point.

I wish you all the best and hope you will be very happy. Thank you for being very open and honest in your replies.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 9:17 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fourseasons

- Proximity to Australia
Hi Fourseasons

I'm with you and agree with all your points. I too have given up saying what I think and just tell them the 'adventure is over' for us.

Leaving in just over 5 weeks, so much to do. There are some things I will miss, coffee culture is one and wineries the other. Thankfully we are relocating near the beach so will be able to carry on that lifestyle.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 9:57 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I could not cope with not working,.........being at home all day not knowing anyone, would send me into total despair
Been there, done that.

If that's an adventure, (which, apparently coming to New Zealand is) you can keep it. It's not my cup of tea.

New Zealand's scenery is lovely to look at but then it's time to go home. That's all it's ever meant to me. Well, after the inevitable 'duty visit' to the Auckland based in-laws of course.

Thanks, but you don't need to be sorry that I've not been able to find work. Unless it's voluntary work, i.e. work for nothing. Then they usually snatch my hand off. Which just about says it all really.

I get to put an up to date reference on my c.v. though and it's been useful if I've needed a manager's signature on the back of a photograph of me for an application form for something. So it's not a total loss but I can't carry on like this indefinitely.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Apr 13th 2016 at 10:20 pm. Reason: Better grammar

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.