Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

terrible road toll this year/this christmas

terrible road toll this year/this christmas

Old Jan 2nd 2017, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default terrible road toll this year/this christmas

When are the people in this country going to learn? I am sick and tired of folk 'blaming the roads' in NZ.

The only people to blame are the murderous xxxk wits who kill innocent people almost on a daily basis.

Tailgating...at a bonnet's length at 100k. What the xxxk? Is 100 not enough on the open road?

Over taking at places where only a murderous, selfish idiot would do so. Why can't they wait until the passing lane, its only a few ks away.

twats texting and holding their phones, undertaking, speeding up when someone is trying to make a reasonable and safe move... WHAT????? You want to occupy the space in front of me??? No way!! So they speed up to block your move!!!!

Then standard of driving here is absolutely awful. BEWARE!!! And it is not relevant that driving is worse in India etc, I am talking about NZ, where I live and regularly see mental, murderous driving.

Its simple to stay alive and be a safe driver. No phones, keep to the speed limit, drive to the conditions, keep your distance (double it to 4 seconds in the wet), be courteous and do not over take unless there is a dedicated overtaking lane. Are you really that important that you can't wait?? I am not. I never overtake unless there is an extra lane for me to use. It is just not worth the risk. Better be late than dead.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 8:40 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: terrible road toll this year/this christmas

I am so over the standard of driving here that I report everyone I see breaking the road code. Hopefully if more people did this people would begin to realise there are actual rules and you need to stick to them, after all they are there for a reason.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 10:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
I am so over the standard of driving here that I report everyone I see breaking the road code. Hopefully if more people did this people would begin to realise there are actual rules and you need to stick to them, after all they are there for a reason.
Drink drivers? Why do they get such poxy, derisory bans in NZ (in the UK its 1 year mimimum)?? Why oh why can you 'buy' your licence back to drive (for work only) when you have been found guilty of drink drive?

Why don't the authorities confiscate whatever the person is driving and it immediately becomes the Crown's to sell. Company car? Tough! The company can sue the individual. It matters not who owns the car, it becomes the Crown's (with the exception of it having been TWOC ed or stolen).

Sentencing needs to get TOUGH, way tougher than it is. Total and complete accountability. All injuries sustained through reckless, drunk or dangerous driving should be refunded to the state by the mindless moron that caused the crash. take their house, what ever asset they have..on the dole? Take it from their dole until it is all repaid.

The day people start understanding that they have to pay for all the shit they reek on society because of their selfish attitude (frankly criminal in most cases) is the day we see a change.

Better still, flog them too aswell as all the above. I am sick of seeing innocent people get killed by these less than human 'things'. It is about time we saw a turn of the tide and some REAL, draconian punishments for these pathetic excuses for humans.
Old Jan 2nd 2017, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Lets face it ... Kiwi's are shit drivers! but its far easier for them to blame the "foreign" Chinese drivers for the appalling road toll than do something constructive about it.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Robbie2010
Lets face it ... Kiwi's are shit drivers! but its far easier for them to blame the "foreign" Chinese drivers for the appalling road toll than do something constructive about it.
Not only are they really, really shite, deadly drivers, they also do tend to be a wee bit xenophobic, as you say blaming the Chinese.

Arrogance is one of the main factors in their shite driving. Along with a very selfish, discourteous attitude that is 'fxxk you' the road is ALL mine.

What I don't understand is how they all come over so lovely, kind, helpful and utterly benign to the rest of the world when travellers and tourists meet them out side of a motor car, yet put a steering column betwixt their ligs and they become Beelzeebub incarnate. Weird eh?

I have been tailgated on my motorbike to ridiculous degrees (always when I was at the speed limit). Having said that even if I was not at the limit of the speed for that road it is not reason to bully a driver/rider in front with these tactics.

Any tailgaters now? I drop down the 70, very slowly. For 2 reasons. If there is going to be a collision the injury to me and my passengers will be less, and secondly it gives the utter knob behind the opportunity to pass me much easier, as they are oh so important and have to get to where they are going quick time. So what if you kill or maim a few people in your selfishendeavours. No worries mate, she'll be right.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 12:09 am
BE Forum Addict

A woman overtook me recently (again I was doing 100ks), where it was less than safe. Infront was a truck and trailer which she was then stuck behind. Within 3 ks she pulled off the 100k open road we were on and was at her destination. What the fxxk was the point of that?????? Utterly mental. I am afraid too many kiwis drive with this attitude and nothing is going to change anytime soon, unless of course the powers to be start dealing with all these antisocial shits in a meaningful way.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 12:49 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

It's really disspointing to see some people here reject the Kiwi way of driving. I see driving in New Zealand as a refreshing departure from the rules and regulations of a "nanny state" in the UK and other developed countries. My tax dollars paid for the road so why shouldn't I be able to update my facebook, play with my radio and drink the caffeinated high sugar drink of choice while driving? This is freedom. If you are doing Kiwi driving propperly we are all taking the same level of risk. Living on the edge of an accident is as thrilling as a morning commute can get. How dare you question my rights as a driver! You'll have prize my Kiwi drivers license from my cold dead hand. The last thing we want to be classed as is an arrogant foreigner telling Kiwis how to drive in their own country.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 12:58 am
BE Enthusiast

LoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of lightLoCarb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Genesis
A woman overtook me recently (again I was doing 100ks), where it was less than safe. Infront was a truck and trailer which she was then stuck behind. Within 3 ks she pulled off the 100k open road we were on and was at her destination. What the fxxk was the point of that?????? Utterly mental. I am afraid too many kiwis drive with this attitude and nothing is going to change anytime soon, unless of course the powers to be start dealing with all these antisocial shits in a meaningful way.
Was that you on Sunday afternoon riding your bike (lady on the back) Sanson to Palmy road, holding all the traffic up at 80-90 km/hr ?
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 1:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by LoCarb
Was that you on Sunday afternoon riding your bike (lady on the back) Sanson to Palmy road, holding all the traffic up at 80-90 km/hr ?

Nah, not me My lady won't do pillion..my kids do.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 1:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Charismatic
It's really disspointing to see some people here reject the Kiwi way of driving. I see driving in New Zealand as a refreshing departure from the rules and regulations of a "nanny state" in the UK and other developed countries. My tax dollars paid for the road so why shouldn't I be able to update my facebook, play with my radio and drink the caffeinated high sugar drink of choice while driving? This is freedom. If you are doing Kiwi driving propperly we are all taking the same level of risk. Living on the edge of an accident is as thrilling as a morning commute can get. How dare you question my rights as a driver! You'll have prize my Kiwi drivers license from my cold dead hand. The last thing we want to be classed as is an arrogant foreigner telling Kiwis how to drive in their own country.
Okay, I take back all I said. You have a very valid point. I have gone too far. When in Rome and all that bollocks. Just going to skull a few bottles of wine and then go out for a nice drive with all my 'social media kit' (cell phone, lap top and ipad) and break every rule in the highway code whilst driving with complete arrogance as danderously as I can. Viva la really shite, selfish brain-dead way of NZ driving.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 2:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Probably one of NZ's better drivers? ... Watch: Shocking drifting video emerges - National - NZ Herald Videos
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 4:23 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have many bugbears in NZ, but the standard of driving is one that frustrates the hell out of me! As time goes on I've realized it's not just a simple case of brushing up on skills, but changing the whole culture around driving. The whole "she'll be right" attitude is usually out in full force when it comes to talking to kiwi's about their driving standards. Then they have the audacity to blame it on the tourists Big issue is the fact that a lot of Kiwi's actually think they're good drivers and are completely oblivious to their shite standards. Some Kiwi's are very aware and try to improve but the vast majority to pass you off as a winging uptight Pom if you ever pick them up on it...
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

It appears it is actually us 'bloody foreigners' that have got the wrong attitude; we should all get with the program and learn the mantra that enforcing the rules of the road is a revenue gathering exercise and there are far bigger problems to be dealt with elsewhere in the world.

The Summer brings out the worst of the indignant outrage of Kiwis who somehow absolve themselves of any part to play in making the roads a safer place to be; gawd help us all if they get ticketed for doing 4kms over the speed limit or get caught after having one too many shandies, texting or on the phone whilst these crazy foreigners are allowed out on our roads to do as they please.

We hear the same old woeful tunes being played out every year, with every accident involving foreign drivers receiving the full force of attention from the media and headline grabbing articles fuels the repeated calls for testing of foreigners before they are allowed to drive on New Zealand’s roads. Funny we don't hear too much about those foreigners being caught downing a few Woodies, speeding, doing donuts and failing to wear their seat belts.
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 7:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Utter wanker! sorry, should not have typed that, I meant murderous wanker! 10 years in prison, car crushed...and both hands and feet surgically and humanely removed perchance?? And his hid too, we all know its some thick kiwi bloke eh????
Old Jan 3rd 2017, 2:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe blame the driving instructors, or become one. Parents also get the blame if their child was naughty.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.