Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tents - worth cleaning to bring?

Tents - worth cleaning to bring?

Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:31 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Tents - worth cleaning to bring?

we've got three (cos you can NEVER have too many!) good tents

just wondering if it's worth the hassle of scrubbing off the ground sheets and pegs etc to stick in the container, or whether we should flog them here and buy in NZ?

one of the guys that came to quote for removals suggested not even bothering with the pegs, just chucking them and buying new ones... not sure about that cos they're really good pegs!

anyway... what have your experiences been? what would you do? either with hindsight or otherwise!?

thanks all
Old Feb 24th 2009, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tents - worth cleaning to bring?

Originally Posted by Stoof
we've got three (cos you can NEVER have too many!) good tents

just wondering if it's worth the hassle of scrubbing off the ground sheets and pegs etc to stick in the container, or whether we should flog them here and buy in NZ?

one of the guys that came to quote for removals suggested not even bothering with the pegs, just chucking them and buying new ones... not sure about that cos they're really good pegs!

anyway... what have your experiences been? what would you do? either with hindsight or otherwise!?

thanks all
If you have really good tents it seems a shame just to throw them. If you have the space and it will not be too hard to clean I would bring them. It is easy and relatively cheap to get new pegs. If you are not sure check out these websites and they will give you a rough idea of costs for tents.
http://www.equipoutdoors.co.nz/index1.html
or
http://www.outdoorsupplies.co.nz/tents1.htm
Hope it helps
Old Feb 24th 2009, 9:18 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I agree with Nero. Scrub 'em and bring 'em.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 3:20 am
Just Joined

Wholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really niceWholehog is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS here
I agree with Nero. Scrub 'em and bring 'em.
Def bring them i'd say. I have yet to find a tent here as good as my old UK one which i never brought over...doh!
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

We bought a new 8 berth tent to bring(we have put it up a couple of times and rolled it back up to make it looked used) as we only have 3/4 berth tents. OH was in a dilemma as to go to the bother of cleaning them or give them to friends here. Will make sure he sees this tonight

Phyl x
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely bring - I forgot to clean ours and the MAF man took it away for cleaning but he said that if I had removed the grass and cleaned mud off the pegs it would have been no problem
Old Feb 25th 2009, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Stoof

Do you have a dish washer or know someone who does as these clean & sterilise the pegs then just wipe over with jeyes fluid
Old Feb 25th 2009, 7:55 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

If you have room to bring it over, and room to store it the I can't see the point in throwing something out only to have to purchase another one when you get here.

Dishwasher seems like a good idea as a way to clean the pegs. Just remember that the really do need to be clean. But, I would rather do this than throw the out and later find through some odd twist of fate that you couldn't get exact pegs to fit your tent here. Not that I think that's likely. But you never know.
Old Feb 25th 2009, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks all...

Phyl, it's my OH too that thinks maybe it's not worth the hassle!

funnily enough Jules and Kiwiprincess, i had the same thought about the dishwasher and pegs whilst driving home tonight! suddenly it seems like a lot less hassle!

will wait til later in the spring then and hope for a few days warm and dry weather to get the ground sheets scrubbed and dried! saves listing them on ebay at least!

thanks all for your words of wisdom AGAIN!