British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   tents (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/tents-435932/)

eileen35 Mar 20th 2007 10:12 am

tents

im sure ive read it somewhere on BEP about tents,last year.
and im sure that whoever it was said they had to pay at new zealand,for their tent to be cleaned.
does anyone know if all tents have to be cleaned on arrival or if you cleaned it well enough here ,would that do?
any does anyone know about taking a chemical camp loo?
obvious that would need to be clean;) ,but are they ok too bring in?
and last year we bought a single burn stove,which we only used once and has almost full bottle, and a full not opened spare one. do you think they can come too?
we have the two burner cooker,but someone told me you can get fittings for it over there.
just clearing out loft and wondering if my camping gears going or not:blink:
hope so as spent couple year getting it all together.
cheers
eileen

Hang11 Mar 20th 2007 10:25 am

Re: tents

Your tent is fine if it's clean. I think mud on it will mean that it will get cleaned by MAF, so give it a good brush off first.

dunno about the chemical loo - prefer to use a bush myself :cool:

The gas bottles may be a bit iffy for a small stove to ship to NZ - wouldn't think you could put them on a plane or in a container - they are standard international fittings anyway, and most types of the small bottles are around in NZ.

The fittings on our double stove were totally different to the NZ ones, different bottles, hose diameter etc. We tried to get an adapter and change it all over, but no luck, so it went in the bin.

eileen35 Mar 20th 2007 10:33 am

Originally Posted by Hang11 (Post 4537404)
Your tent is fine if it's clean. I think mud on it will mean that it will get cleaned by MAF, so give it a good brush off first.

dunno about the chemical loo - prefer to use a bush myself :cool:

The gas bottles may be a bit iffy for a small stove to ship to NZ - wouldn't think you could put them on a plane or in a container - they are standard international fittings anyway, and most types of the small bottles are around in NZ.

The fittings on our double stove were totally different to the NZ ones, different bottles, hose diameter etc. We tried to get an adapter and change it all over, but no luck, so it went in the bin.

cheers for that,
we will just use our burner/cookers for last time this summer then just leave them with family here.
hubby thought that gas bottles wouldnt be allowed,wasnt sure of the one not opened,but it didnt cost a lot so be as well leaving it for someone here.
im just bit sad about leaving behind my wee gas lantern,my son bought us that.
suppose theirs going to be loads sacrifices though.
hows the prices over there for buying cookers etc?

Hang11 Mar 20th 2007 10:37 am

A lantern should be OK if it's one that screws on to a small cannister. It's the same as the little burners.

You can pick up a two burner cooker for $50 plus a bottle.

Best to get is a cast iron "country" cooker, and a barbie hotplate, costs about $100 for the lot, including a regulator and bottle. That way, you get a nice little gas barbie, and take the hot plate off and it's a normal cooker.

eileen35 Mar 20th 2007 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Hang11 (Post 4537451)
A lantern should be OK if it's one that screws on to a small cannister. It's the same as the little burners.

You can pick up a two burner cooker for $50 plus a bottle.

Best to get is a cast iron "country" cooker, and a barbie hotplate, costs about $100 for the lot, including a regulator and bottle. That way, you get a nice little gas barbie, and take the hot plate off and it's a normal cooker.

sounds good,prices arent too bad at all.
and i can take lantern. even better.
still wonder about the loo though,me being a girlie and all that.
looking at your pics on previous threads ,i cant wait to get over there and get camping.
kaikoura looks beautiful.