British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Temporary accomodation (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/temporary-accomodation-663446/)

JohnThePom Apr 10th 2010 11:08 pm

Temporary accomodation

Just like to ask what people have done for temporary accomodation in NZ?

We intend to rent until we are settled, but what about the first few weeks?

Backpackers seemed cheap when we were holidaying but week on week it looks a bit expensive. Motels are even worse.

Any experience to share?

WP

littleal Apr 11th 2010 1:31 am

Re: Temporary accomodation

We didn't manage this but we did try - have you thought of house-sitting? There is a website where you can log your details and try to match up with people who want their cats fed or plants watered.

RobDon Apr 11th 2010 4:06 am

We booked a holiday home for 4 wks.

MnB Apr 11th 2010 7:01 am

Originally Posted by WhingingPom (Post 8487052)

Backpackers seemed cheap when we were holidaying but week on week it looks a bit expensive. Motels are even worse.

Any experience to share?

WP

Some rental properties are let 'month by month' it may be worth contacting a few rental agencies in your chosen area to ask if they have such properties listed. We rented a house (up market holiday house) on this basis for 2 weeks @ $280 per week in Ohope recently.
B x

Professional_Gypsy Apr 11th 2010 7:26 am

If your going to be staying anywhere in NZ for an extending period of time - of course ask for a discount. Most - if not all - motorcamps will give a weekly rate of approx 10 - 20% off regular price for weekly + stays.
In fact - NZ is much easy to get discounts generally - in shops - from professional services etc, in most cases paying cash can get you a big discount.
If your looking for places to stay in motor camps/ holiday parks - check my sig for the website you need :)

irnbru14 Apr 11th 2010 7:42 am

Originally Posted by WhingingPom (Post 8487052)

Any experience to share?

WP

Had a serviced apartment for 4 weeks, stayed at one of the Quest places in Wellington but they have them all over NZ. All good and there are plenty of other companies around who do serviced apartments.

JohnThePom Apr 11th 2010 12:41 pm

Thanks for the feedback everyone. :) A few good ideas there for me to follow up.

WP

shelloid Apr 11th 2010 8:01 pm

we're currently staying in some serviced apartments in Wellington. They had a discounted rate for over 7 nights stay - so we're paying ~$600 per week for a small 2 bed apartment.
Yes it is expensive, but it was easy to sort out and is so so central.

JohnThePom Apr 12th 2010 8:44 am

Cheers shelloid,

A serviced apartment in the middle of Wellington sounds really nice, but we're likely to be scrabbling around at the other end of the market! :blink:

I think we'll probably be deciding between the place with the leaky roof or the one with the mice!!

More seriously - I'm a bit paranoid about costs at the moment because neither of us have a job offer and I've seen that securing employment can be a bit hit and miss depending on circumstances. To be honest I don't think we'll have a problem because my OH is a nurse and I'm in IT with enough experience to diversify... but y'know.

We're trying to prepare for the worst case of a long job search and we don't want to be plowing through our savings too fast right at the start. So many ifs and buts going on. For example we have family in Wellington (not enough space to put us up) but it's also relatively expensive to live there.

We'd like to live in New Plymouth but it appears more difficult for us both to get work there.

Currently trying to puzzle through the complicated ship or re-purchase equations.

Whoops wrote more than I intended. Guess it is all preying on my mind. :unsure:

I'd like to just get out there and get going!

WP