Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Temporary Accommodation Upon Arrival

Temporary Accommodation Upon Arrival

Old Dec 10th 2012, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough
Default Temporary Accommodation Upon Arrival

Good afternoon all.

My wife has received a job offer from a DHB in NZ, and thay have also offered to put her up in a motel/hotel for 2 weeks after her arrival. We envisage her arriving a few months before our daughter and I, and wondered how easy it is to rent a house upon arriving in NZ.

Would she be better doing a mid-term rental from when she gets there as we intend to ship most of our furniture out. I've seen rental appartments from $250 per week for a studio with kitchenette/en-suite. Is this a good idea?

Can we arrange a rental from here? Are there many furnished houses she could live in prior to us arriving?

The last thing I'd want is her living in a house with no furniture!

Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Temporary Accommodation Upon Arrival

we rented a holiday rental until our stuff turned up they come with everything you need and then gives you time to find a decent rental
Old Dec 10th 2012, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

www.holidayhomes.co.nz or bookabach.co.nz
Old Dec 10th 2012, 7:02 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you could also be looking on Trademe, under the real estate section for rentals.

If you could give the area you would be moving to other members in that area may be able to give some personal experience and advice
Old Dec 11th 2012, 7:16 am
Forum Regular

S_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the roughS_and_T is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for your responses so far. We are moving to Wellington, so any useful info you may have would be much appreciated.
Old Dec 11th 2012, 8:45 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

we're just up the coast from Wellington. area's will depend on what you want for your home life. further north out of Wellington you get the better weather but then you need to look about how much travel time you want to get to work.
Moso's husband works in Wellington and gets a train in from Waikanae,(lovely sandy beach and shops) my husband works in Karori and gets a lift but we live a little nearer in Pukerua Bay, (rocky and sandy beach but only a local shop, book shop and hairdressers) then you have Theresa Green who lives in Paraparaumu (again nice sandy beach and has the most shops) and she trains in to Wellington from there. can't comment on other area's but sure some will be along soon. My advice would be to get out and about and look round

Last edited by MrsFychan; Dec 11th 2012 at 8:47 am.