Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Tell me about the south of the north island please guys.

Tell me about the south of the north island please guys.

Old Sep 27th 2007, 11:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold
Default Tell me about the south of the north island please guys.

I,ve got an interview in london with a company from the south of the north island and was wondering what to expect in respects to places to live and climate in this area. I know wellington is a big place there.
Old Sep 27th 2007, 1:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tell me about the south of the north island please guys.

South Island beautiful
North Island beautiful

South Island sand flys
North Island not many sand flys

South Island sparcely populated
North Island sparcely populated

South Island nearer south pole so colder in winter and not as warm in the summer.

North Island further form south pole so warmer in winter and warmer in the summer(sub-tropic).

South Island less populated and jobs.
North Island more populated and jobs.

hope this helps.
no sure if everything is correct but its what I've come to believe!
Old Sep 27th 2007, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wessa
I,ve got an interview in london with a company from the south of the north island and was wondering what to expect in respects to places to live and climate in this area. I know wellington is a big place there.
We've lived in Wellington for nearly a month now and love it. Can't compare it to the South Island as i've never been, but against Auckland it has a greater cosmopolitan feel about it. For us you could drive very easily from one area to another in Auckland and not know where you were. In Welly we felt the greater sense of space. Driving is easier in Welly. Nothing wrong with the climate down here, some great beaches,plenty of sporting activities and the scenery is terrific. It is windy though!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

brussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to beholdbrussels_sprout is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
We've lived in Wellington for nearly a month now and love it. Can't compare it to the South Island as i've never been, but against Auckland it has a greater cosmopolitan feel about it. For us you could drive very easily from one area to another in Auckland and not know where you were. In Welly we felt the greater sense of space. Driving is easier in Welly. Nothing wrong with the climate down here, some great beaches,plenty of sporting activities and the scenery is terrific. It is windy though!
Wellie is supposed to have windy weather, but i have been here 9 months now and not noticed it that much. There is sunshine most days, much more than England. Auckland is rainy, Cch is cold in winter, Wellie is as i said, sposed to be windy. Easy commute to work , even at rush hour. Beautiful harbour, small city feel, relaxed, surrounded by velvety green ranges. OK beaches, not brilliant though. You didn't say where you meant, there are only Palmerston North and Wellie in Sth of Nth island ! Not many roads once you are out of the cities, not many villages either. Wellie has many museums, theatres that you would expect from a small capital city. Yes it is OK !
Commuter towns are outside the city, because there is not enough flat land. Only 2 large shopping malls here. Jobs quite easy to come by. Food pretty good, house prices quite expensive, think 400,000 + .

Last edited by brussels_sprout; Sep 28th 2007 at 1:43 am.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 2:46 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Wellington (blah blah blah) Welly.
It's time to stand up and be counted...Simonmarkellis....if that's your real name......

It's either Wellington (tourists and snobs) or Welly (people who live in the Hutts)

Or, God help us, Wgtn......
Old Sep 28th 2007, 2:49 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brussels_sprout
rush hour
Rush hour? Funfair dodgems more like....
Old Sep 28th 2007, 2:59 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Wellywood?

I love it here. Great place to live.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 4:10 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Wellington, capital city, good mix of government and private business.

Good transport links to city from suburbs or out of Wellington.

Night life abundant, lots of cafe's to have a coffee.

Weather, Summer nice, winter cold, wind not much of a issue but houses are not as insulated as UK.

Many things to do and see over summer.

Good links to Sth Island, ferry or plane.

Good expat community
Old Sep 28th 2007, 5:18 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ted Logan
Wellington, capital city, good mix of government and private business.

Good transport links to city from suburbs or out of Wellington.

Night life abundant, lots of cafe's to have a coffee.

Weather, Summer nice, winter cold, wind not much of a issue but houses are not as insulated as UK.

Many things to do and see over summer.

Good links to Sth Island, ferry or plane.

Good expat community
There it is. Oh....and Porirua!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 5:21 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by danny.f
There it is. Oh....and Porirua!

True but I liken Porirua to the jersey your grannie knitted for you, only to be seen once a year.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

True but I liken Porirua to the jersey your grannie knitted for you, only to be seen once a year.
How come you've been round so much then?
Old Sep 28th 2007, 5:58 am
Winter hibernator

How come you've been round so much then?
Because your family mate
Old Sep 28th 2007, 6:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Because your family mate
Gotta love that answer bro!
Old Sep 28th 2007, 6:06 am
Winter hibernator

Gotta love that answer bro!
Don't go blubbery on me though

Oh and also the beers cheaper
Old Sep 28th 2007, 6:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Don't go blubbery on me though

Oh and also the beers cheaper
Wouldn't know-she won't let me out!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.