British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Television question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/television-question-430305/)

dash1965 Feb 25th 2007 7:03 am

Television question

Hi All,

Firstly I will not watch as much TV when I move as I hope to enjoy a more active outdoor lifestyle:rolleyes: (before someone says switch it off and get a life!)

However, I have a bloody expensive plasma HD TV which I bought before I knew I'd be emigrating to NZ. Having checked the manual it states I would not be able to receive the NZ PAL broadcast format.

My question is, can I plug in a NZ Sky box to watch TV with it or will it just become an ornament (or dedicated XBOX machine:thumbup: )

I've tried searching threads for this answer but couldn't find a definative answer.

Cheers

Jack The Lad Feb 25th 2007 7:43 am

Re: Television question

I would be very surprised if your TV doesnt work in NZ. Most new sets are made for the global market and will work anywhere.

Send me the make and model number and I will try and get a concrete answer for you.

Here's a TV techie thing for you if your interested.

Basicall there are 3 tv picture systems NTSC, SECAM and PAL. However PAL as many different audio carriers A,B,C......I (UK) ect.

In NZ they use the B/G audio carrier. This means that you will get a picture but no audio if your set doesnt support the B/G. But there are way around this ;)

dash1965 Feb 25th 2007 7:47 am

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad (Post 4452357)
I would be very surprised if your TV doesnt work in NZ. Most new sets are made for the global market and will work anywhere.

Send me the make and model number and I will try and get a concrete answer for you.

Basicall there are 3 tv picture systems NTSC, SECAM and PAL. However PAL as many different audio carriers A,B,C......I (UK) ect.

In NZ they use the B/G audio carrier. This means that you will get a picture but no audio if your set doesnt support the B/G. But there are way around this ;)

Cheers Jack,

A Panasonic Viera Plasma TH-37PV500B

I've checked the manual but you clearly have a better idea than me...

Cheers

Dave

P2L Feb 25th 2007 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad (Post 4452357)

Okay Jack

Time to get me some brownie points hun ;)

Kev's worrying this isn't gonna work & then he's gonna kill me cos I told him it would :eek: :D

Put him out of his misery ( & possibly me too!!)

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProdu...ory=TVP+LCD+TV

Beer & Karma for the right answer :thumbup: :thumbup:

Jack The Lad Feb 25th 2007 7:59 am

Dave I have just download the manual for you TV and it only say's PAL I. I have just done a very quick search HERE.

Thing is I amm out now until lunch time so cannot go through all the posts. If you havent found your answer by then give me a nudge and I will search for you :thumbup:

P2L Feb 25th 2007 8:02 am

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad (Post 4452385)
Dave I have just download the manual for you TV and it only say's PAL I. I have just done a very quick search HERE.

Thing is I amm out now until lunch time so cannot go through all the posts. If you havent found your answer by then give me a nudge and I will search for you :thumbup:

You Tease!!!!! :mad:

:rofl: ;) :p

Jack The Lad Feb 25th 2007 8:03 am

Originally Posted by kev&sarah (Post 4452373)
Okay Jack

Time to get me some brownie points hun ;)

Kev's worrying this isn't gonna work & then he's gonna kill me cos I told him it would :eek: :D

Put him out of his misery ( & possibly me too!!)

http://www.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProdu...ory=TVP+LCD+TV

Beer & Karma for the right answer :thumbup: :thumbup:

He's safe. It will work :thumbup:

P2L Feb 25th 2007 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Jack The Lad (Post 4452393)
He's safe. It will work :thumbup:

You're forgiven :D

( I probably am too, when I tell him :thumbup: )

Thanks Hun x

Squidge Feb 25th 2007 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by dash1965 (Post 4452305)
Hi All,

Firstly I will not watch as much TV when I move as I hope to enjoy a more active outdoor lifestyle:rolleyes: (before someone says switch it off and get a life!)

However, I have a bloody expensive plasma HD TV which I bought before I knew I'd be emigrating to NZ. Having checked the manual it states I would not be able to receive the NZ PAL broadcast format.

My question is, can I plug in a NZ Sky box to watch TV with it or will it just become an ornament (or dedicated XBOX machine:thumbup: )

I've tried searching threads for this answer but couldn't find a definative answer.

Cheers

We brought our TV over and a very nice English tech over here tuned it into the NZ sky dish. Although ours is a Panasonic TV nothing special I have found that asking the manufacturers advice they tend to want you to buy new !!! We brought everything over and the only thing that hasn't work was the UK sky box, our video recorder will not tape from the regular areial but will work on the sky channels and our DVD player had to have a chip inserted to work for all zones.

RobClubley Feb 25th 2007 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by dash1965 (Post 4452305)
Hi All,

Cheers

Our TV (4 year-old widescreen CRT) doesn't pick up sound on the aerial but if you use a sky box it's fine - as long as your TV has SCART or the 3-socket red white and yellow inputs (and I bet it has about four lots of those judging by most plasmas I've seen) it will definitely be fine.

ceri75 Feb 25th 2007 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by RobClubley (Post 4453933)
Our TV (4 year-old widescreen CRT) doesn't pick up sound on the aerial but if you use a sky box it's fine - as long as your TV has SCART or the 3-socket red white and yellow inputs (and I bet it has about four lots of those judging by most plasmas I've seen) it will definitely be fine.

good to know.

dash1965 Feb 26th 2007 5:25 am

Thanks for all the replies,

I will bring it over and hope for the best, can't lose too much sleep on it as hoping our lifestyle becomes less TV dependant.

Cheers