British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   television - Palmerston North (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/television-palmerston-north-865773/)

angiemills40 Sep 27th 2015 7:41 am

television - Palmerston North

Hi, we have just arrived in New Zealand and are waiting for our container to arrive on approx 19th November. We have a thirteen year old son who is very bored. Anybody have children this age who he could meet up with? Also any idea's of where to get a second hand TV so at least he can watch something.

MrsFychan Sep 27th 2015 7:50 am

re: television - Palmerston North

have added to the title so people near you might be able to help out.
as for TV Mr Rental is your best buddy they have lots of housewares to rent. http://www.mrrental.co.nz/?gclid=CI2...g&gclsrc=aw.ds

Snap Shot Sep 27th 2015 8:01 am

Re: television - Palmerston North

If you've got a Sky decoder box or a Freeview decoder, I can loan you a t.v. I'm happy to bring it with me when we meet in a couple of weeks.

When does your child start school ?

Although, it's the holidays presently. Is there a 'what's on' at Palmerston North city council in case there's anything arranged for children his age ?

'Fast Connect' is a useful company to get you set up with Sky t.v. plus electricity, gas , phone etc. You may well be sorted for things like that as your husband arrived before you. Just Google, 'Fast Connect' their service is free and very good.

Other than that it's Scrabble and clock patience ! Only joking.

Snap Shot Sep 27th 2015 8:10 am

There's Mr. Rental as has been suggested by Mrs F. They are very good, we rent our washing machine from them.

If you need the t.v. sooner, please let me know. It's no use without Sky or Freeview as they've switched the analogue signal off.

There doesn't seem to be second hand t.v.'s for sale either, unless you look through the classified ads. Have you seen the, 'Manawatu Standard' that's the Palmy local paper.

Bo-Jangles Sep 27th 2015 8:45 am

Why don't you just get yourself a cheapo portable 20 to 24 inch from the Warehouse or JB Hifi, Noel Leemings or whatever other stores you have locally. You can get one for less than $250.

Snap Shot Sep 27th 2015 9:01 am

Originally Posted by angiemills40 (Post 11758701)
Hi, we have just arrived in New Zealand and are waiting for our container to arrive on approx 19th November. We have a thirteen year old son who is very bored. Anybody have children this age who he could meet up with? Also any idea's of where to get a second hand TV so at least he can watch something.

I've sent you a PM.

AceofSpades Sep 28th 2015 12:20 am

Originally Posted by angiemills40 (Post 11758701)

Why is he not at school?

angiemills40 Sep 28th 2015 12:43 am

School holidays here I believe for two weeks.

MrsFychan Sep 28th 2015 12:54 am

yep spring break for the next two weeks.

I am assuming that you have a school place for him, its a shame they didn't give you any idea's on any local holiday clubs he could of gone to to met some of his peers. Maybe contact or check your local council website for local events

angiemills40 Sep 28th 2015 1:03 am

We don't have a place for him yet but we have contacted Palmerston North intermediate school. He has a place at Palmerston North boys in January. We wasn't sure when we would be arriving so very hard. I will look on the council website as it would be great for him to do something. Xx

AceofSpades Sep 28th 2015 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by angiemills40 (Post 11759208)
School holidays here I believe for two weeks.

Same here too, our kids are off camping at Rainbow beach for the week.

angiemills40 Sep 28th 2015 11:58 pm

Sounds good fun. How old are your children? where do you live?

Woodlea Sep 29th 2015 12:59 am

Originally Posted by AceofSpades (Post 11760101)
Same here too, our kids are off camping at Rainbow beach for the week.

Watch out for sink holes, spiders, snakes and sharks! Oh and jelly fish (didn't want to ruin the alliteration in the first sentence)!! ;):)

Snap Shot Sep 29th 2015 2:19 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 11758736)
Why don't you just get yourself a cheapo portable 20 to 24 inch from the Warehouse or JB Hifi, Noel Leemings or whatever other stores you have locally. You can get one for less than $250.

I saw a couple of cheap t.v.'s in a charity shop this morning. Both are portable t.v.'s, one had an integral d.v.d. function. They were $25 each. Anyway, I have sent you a P.M. Angie

BEVS Sep 29th 2015 5:54 am

Originally Posted by angiemills40 (Post 11760113)
Sounds good fun. How old are your children? where do you live?

AceofSpades is being disingenuous angiemills.

I would suggest that you leave AceofSpades to it in that respect, as your interest is in settling in New Zealand ,so you are better to chat with those that really wish to try and help in some way.

AceofSpades interest is in needling those of the NZ forums . I can only surmise that Oz is not holding enough interest for AoS for some reason.

My apologies that you have this on your thread though. The majority of BE members do care and share whilst having some fun and discussion along the way.