Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Television online...

Television online...

Old May 8th 2014, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

maisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nice
Default Television online...

I know there are all sorts of way to watch Brit tv shows online but I'm struggling with something. I really want to watch Coronation Street online (yes, yes, I know...why move to NZ and watch UK soaps, I should be out mountain biking, looking at the mountains, etc) and I don't want to watch the 2 year old episodes that are on here. I started watching on YouTube but then came on the problem of various episodes missing...so is there anywhere I can watch Corrie online, full episodes as and when I want...? I'm quite happy to pay for a service - am just sick of being drip fed old episodes on TV here.

Any suggestions?
Old May 8th 2014, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Television online...

Get a DNS service like www.unotelly.com

Then you can watch all the UK TV online or through iPad apps. Also through Smart TV's or things like AppleTV with Hulu+ (which has Coronation St)
Old May 8th 2014, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

I use Pirate Bay to download all our TV, I stick it on a USB then watch on our TV at our pleasure all ad free.

They've just started digging our street up and we should soon have high speed fibre broadband, this won't increase the dire international internet speeds but it won't do any harm. As soon as it's installed in our house I'll be buying a Smart Samsung TV and paying (about $5 a month) for a smartDNS service, there's loads to choose from. What this does is mask my internet connections location. Samsung Smart TV's have the ability to access BBCiPlayer, ITV player, Channel onDemand and Channel 5 onDemand so these become available once I've setup the smartDNS on the TV. Hopefully I'll have enough bandwidth with the new fibre connection to watch these services without it stopping and lagging.

There's a step by step guide on how to do it on the Orcon website.
https://www.orcon.net.nz/ufb/blog/ho...om_new_zealand

Happy Days
Old May 8th 2014, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

madao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond reputemadao has a reputation beyond repute

Slingshot broadband global mode. Watch it straight off ITVplayer. Works with BBC iplayer, Netflix etc too

Otherwise Hola - https://hola.org/ - browser add on should do the same trick.

Problem may be the speed of your NZ internet connection to watch by streaming though!
Old May 9th 2014, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

maisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nicemaisiep is just really nice

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll have a look at some of these. But yep, you're right madao - my broadband speed is dire, okay in the day but in the evenings, when you want to watch something, it's like living in 1999. No chance of getting UFB either as we are rural. So really need a service where I can download and then watch later...
Old May 12th 2014, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maisiep
Thanks for the suggestions...I'll have a look at some of these. But yep, you're right madao - my broadband speed is dire, okay in the day but in the evenings, when you want to watch something, it's like living in 1999. No chance of getting UFB either as we are rural. So really need a service where I can download and then watch later...
A little tip.

We use http://www.hidemyass.com/vpn/

Once installed it lets you pick which country you want the computer to 'think' it is in.

What I do is connect to iplayer or ITV Player using the tool then start downloading. As the VPN will typically download at 20% of your broadband capacity (We get 3mps if our normal speed is 12 mps) once the download has started, I disconnect and then it will download at the normal speed.

You may have to reconnect to watch but means a 30 minute programme should download in about 5 mins.
Old May 19th 2014, 9:50 am
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

I've finally done it and got the perfect TV solution. I bought a Samsung Smart TV, easily tricked it to think its in the UK and masked our internet NZ IP address (it's pretty simple) and hey presto. I've got BBCiplayer, ITVplayer, C4 OnDemand and Channel5 catch up all a couple of clicks away on the remote control. Even though the ultra fast broadband is still to be fitted I have no problems streaming and the quality is fantastic. There's no comparison between the UK OnDemand services and TVNZ OnDemand, there's just so much content on the UK services and no adverts on the BBC.
Old May 19th 2014, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

smfield23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Do look at www.unotelly.com watched the FA Cup Final live (via ITV) over the weekend and the quality was excellent, just gutted Hull didnt win
Old May 19th 2014, 11:45 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Sick Beard
Old May 20th 2014, 10:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
I've finally done it and got the perfect TV solution. I bought a Samsung Smart TV, easily tricked it to think its in the UK and masked our internet NZ IP address (it's pretty simple)
so, my question is how did you you do that????
Old May 21st 2014, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by julesnye
so, my question is how did you you do that????
As long as you've got a Samsung Smart TV that's connected to the internet it's pretty simple if you follow these steps.

Firstly you'll need to change the country setting on the TV, I did this by following this guide.
http://www.eyeondemand.com/2013/06/2...try-app-store/

If the above works fine you'll now notice that BBCiPlayer, Channel 4 OnDemand etc Apps are now on your TV and the TVNZ App has disappeared.

Even though the TV now thinks it's in the UK and you can open the BBCiPlayer etc Apps the videos won't work, you need to mask your NZ IP address on the TV.

Go to your computer and go to this website http://www.trickbyte.com and sign up for the 14 day free trial, you'll receive an email from them and you'll be able to log onto their site. What you get is a SmartDNS, this is simply a set of numbers e'g' 999.141.443.227. Once you find the number on their website jot it down, you now need to enter that number into your TV. Somewhere in the TV's online settings there will be a DNS Setting option, you need to enter these numbers in their.

That's it, the BBC, ITV, C4, C5 Apps will now stream directly to your TV.

If you're struggling just let me know.
Old May 21st 2014, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

cheers BarnsleyMat I'll give it a try when I can get to the TV!!
Old May 22nd 2014, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

We are another that tricks it into thinking we are somewhere else, we managed to get Netflix as I have a US address and stream it here, we pay i think 7.99 a month for it. I use BBC Iplayer for Eastenders and River City and I DL them so I can watch them while waiting in car during Lucy's dance class etc.

We got rid of Sky totally as it is just full of crap.
Old May 26th 2014, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

Can an NZ Samsung smart tv be used for BBCiPlayer, ITV Player, Channel 4 OnDemand etc or does the tv need to be a UK one and shipped over?
Old May 26th 2014, 7:07 am
BE Forum Addict

It can be NZ bought, I bought one a week ago and we've been watching BBCiPlayer, C4 etc since. You just need to follow the steps I've detailed above.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.