British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   telephones (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/telephones-543653/)

nelsonpom Jun 18th 2008 9:57 am

telephones

Hi
stupid question but do uk phones/answer machines work ok in nz. We are over in uk for holiday and thinking of bringing back a phone (better range) but i suddenly thought....:blink:

Woodlea Jun 18th 2008 9:59 am

Re: telephones

Originally Posted by nelsonpom (Post 6477837)
Hi
stupid question but do uk phones/answer machines work ok in nz. We are over in uk for holiday and thinking of bringing back a phone (better range) but i suddenly thought....:blink:

Yes they do

themoores Jun 18th 2008 10:30 am

ours works fine

nelsonpom Jun 18th 2008 11:38 am

Originally Posted by themoores (Post 6477942)
ours works fine

Cool thanx. Can't believe the choice of stuff here and the amount of Poles ! Only been away few years but so much seems alien now.

Tan0410 Jun 18th 2008 11:16 pm

No probs with ours either:)

lapsed kiwi Jun 19th 2008 5:36 am

The only function that won't work with a UK landline phone in NZ is caller ID

julesnye Jun 19th 2008 1:49 pm

mobiles will need to be unlocked before taking back with you, incase you feel like getting new mobiles as well:)

nelsonpom Jun 20th 2008 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by julesnye (Post 6482425)
mobiles will need to be unlocked before taking back with you, incase you feel like getting new mobiles as well:)

Yea getting a new mobile and fortunately my bro in law is a computer freak and can un lock them so he will see me right, to tempting not to get a new one.

JasonSouthYorks Jun 20th 2008 5:38 pm

When I was there in January my mobile worked fine. Called NZ landlines and mobiles and received calls no problem. Caller ID worked OK as well.
No need to unlock but I had a UK SIM card that I was using. I don't know if this makes a difference.

nelsonpom Jun 22nd 2008 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by JasonSouthYorks (Post 6486864)
When I was there in January my mobile worked fine. Called NZ landlines and mobiles and received calls no problem. Caller ID worked OK as well.
No need to unlock but I had a UK SIM card that I was using. I don't know if this makes a difference.

Yea need to unlock it to put my nz sim in.

j19fmm Jun 22nd 2008 4:52 pm

Originally Posted by JasonSouthYorks (Post 6486864)

Careful what you were paying though, a call on a UK mobile to a NZ number, even while in NZ, is counted as calling abroad. Certainly always has on mine.:o

lardyl Jun 23rd 2008 8:04 am

Originally Posted by j19fmm (Post 6492262)
Careful what you were paying though, a call on a UK mobile to a NZ number, even while in NZ, is counted as calling abroad. Certainly always has on mine.:o

Yeah and you could well be paying for the incoming calls on your UK mobile too......yowch!
We did not have to unlock any of our handsets in NZ but they were old old Vodafone and Vodafone unlocked to Orange ones.......
There are plenty of market stalls and little computer/fone shops that will do it for Vodafone if you need to......;)

NakiMan Jun 25th 2008 8:27 am

In NZ there are only two mobile phone service suppliers, Telecom and Vodaphone

Telecom use a SIMless system, if you go this route you will have to get a new phone.

Vodaphone use a standard SIM system as used in the UK. But you will have to get your UK mobile unlocked before leaving the UK. There are lots of market stalls and small phone shops who will do this for you.

When you arrive in NZ, go to a Vodaphone shop and buy a SIM, pop it into your phone and away you go.