Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Telephone interview tonight!

Telephone interview tonight!

Old Mar 22nd 2007, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

Suicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to all
Exclamation Telephone interview tonight!

Just got an email that a company in Nelson want to interview me tonight!

Has anyone got ant tips for me as this is my first interview for a job in NZ, and not sure if there are too many differences in interview techniques
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 11:54 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Telephone interview tonight!

Hiya

Sorry I can't help but just wanted to wish you all the luck in the world for your interview!

Michelle x
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 11:58 am
What's happening dudes?

wmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond reputewmoore has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck!

Being that it's on the phone, prepare some notes for yourself. Plonk yourself down in a quiet room where you won't be distracted. Just talk yourself up and be confident in what you can do Same sort of advice as for any interview really .... If you're asked "have you done this before", don't answer in the negative, come out with something like "I've done something similar before so would certainly be confident that I could do that".
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

Suicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to allSuicide Sheep is a name known to all

Thanks for that!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 1:55 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooh good luck!

Make sure you have your CV laid out infront of you, not stapled together so you don't have to rustle any pieces of paper to reference the right bit of information. Also make sure you have pen and paper to jot down anything you might need to. Be yourself, and make sure your inner voice is telling you that you can do the job.

It's been years since I last interviewed, I'm nervous about it too... you'll be fine, though, just prepare and be prepared for a small time delay on the phone.
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 2:20 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Smile when your on the phone. Sounds daft but it does come across in your voice, relaxes your facial muscles and makes you sound less nervous and shaky!!

From what little I know of NZ interviews they can already see from your cv you can do the job; what they want to know is more about you personally. For instance, why do you want to live in NZ, what do you do as a family, etc. Yes, they'll want to know about your experience and all the usual stuff but its your personality and what type of person you are so they can see if you'll fit in.

OH & me just come back. Had 11 interviews, only 1 was formal, OH said rest were fairly laid back and more friendly and conversational rather than firing off a list of questions.

Just be yourself and have faith. Good luck
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the advice.
Just got to keep fingers crossed and hope that all goes well! Then I can have a few
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 5:01 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

We'll be thinking of you Sure you'll do fine!!!!!!

Just don't forget to post on here BEFORE you open the beer & let us know how it went, you know we'll be dying to find out !!!!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

Waaaay Hey!!!

Interview seemed to go really well

The guy was telling me why the other candidates weren't that suitable, and that I was the only person contacted overseas for an interview. Also helped that he was an expat himself!!

Also, that he would be willing to wait for up to a year for me to get there, if I were selected for the job. Fingers crossed.

Wages, not quite what I am used to but only to be expected for NZ (as wages for engineers seem to be lower than the UK, but so is the cost of living, apparently!)

Time for me thinks!
Old Mar 22nd 2007, 10:07 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Suicide Sheep
Waaaay Hey!!!

The guy was telling me why the other candidates weren't that suitable, and that I was the only person contacted overseas for an interview. Also helped that he was an expat himself!!

Also, that he would be willing to wait for up to a year for me to get there, if I were selected for the job. Fingers crossed.

Wages, not quite what I am used to but only to be expected for NZ (as wages for engineers seem to be lower than the UK, but so is the cost of living, apparently!)

Time for me thinks!
Glad it went well, keep us posted
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:52 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Woo Hooooo! Many congrats SS! That's brilliant!
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 3:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suicide Sheep
Waaaay Hey!!!
well done with the interview- fingers crossed for you.
What type of engineer are you? My hubby is an electronics engineer and we are looking at jobs and hope for a few interview when we go on our recce. Are you in touch with any good agencies?
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by helinuk
well done with the interview- fingers crossed for you.
What type of engineer are you? My hubby is an electronics engineer and we are looking at jobs and hope for a few interview when we go on our recce. Are you in touch with any good agencies?
I'm a service engineer, on CNC machinery.
For NZ purposes I'm an Electronics service Technician.
As I can't be an engineer without a degree in NZ.
Even though I've been one in the UK for over 10yrs
Not in touch with any agencies, applied on Seek website.

Last edited by Suicide Sheep; Mar 23rd 2007 at 6:15 pm.