British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   TEFL JOBS!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/tefl-jobs-913030/)

lazthorpe May 21st 2018 4:41 pm

TEFL JOBS!!

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and this is my first post!

We are hoping to move to NZ in the next 6 months. My partner has secured employment in the Christchurch area and will be starting work in the next 8 weeks.

We have 3 children aged 14, 7 and 3 months. I am currently on Maternity leave with the youngest.

Our plan is for me to have 12 months off with the little one before securing my own employment in New Zealand.

my main question is this. . . I hold a TEFL qualification of 140 hour combined study and I have teaching experience also. Is it easy to find tefl jobs in the Christchurch area?

Look forward to your guidance!

Laura

MrsFychan May 21st 2018 8:19 pm

Re: TEFL JOBS!!

HI Laura and welcome to BE

not sure if you would need to get your qualification accessed to be able to teach but I did a quick search on Seek and Trademe and there was only one job and that was for teachers required to go and teach in China!
Hopefully someone who lives in ChCh will come along and let you know if those sort of jobs actually exist here and how you would go about securing one.

mikemike May 22nd 2018 12:53 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 12503213)
HI Laura and welcome to BE

not sure if you would need to get your qualification accessed to be able to teach but I did a quick search on Seek and Trademe and there was only one job and that was for teachers required to go and teach in China!
Hopefully someone who lives in ChCh will come along and let you know if those sort of jobs actually exist here and how you would go about securing one.

You can teach on line . Chinese schools will pay 10-20$USA per session of 25 minutes each. The Chinese schools are moving to this system as it is cheaper than bringing in a foreign teacher.

You will need a study with LAN connection no less than 10mb. There is a whole world of on line teaching tools to help you construct classes. Insist on using SKYPE as the Chinese version is awful. So Skype skills with ability to move in and out of files and folders seamlessly will help.

lazthorpe May 22nd 2018 4:40 am

Hi,
Thank you for both replies, much appreciated!
I was told about teaching via Skype and forgot all about it! This may be a fab option as gives me the flexibility to work from home etc.

I'd heard that children from Asia often attended summer camps in NZ and tefl teachers were often required for the summer months. I'll have to look into this more when we are out there.

Very excited about the move, any hints or tips? Hubby is an engineer and has a contract for a company based in Wigram. He is flying out to do a few months alone and start to get us set up then we will follow. Best suburbs for nice family rentals and good schools?

Thanks again for your help so far.