British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Teething troubles.. literally (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/teething-troubles-literally-516033/)

turkeys Feb 21st 2008 6:15 am

Teething troubles.. literally

Hi

we've been in New Zealand for almost a month now and settling in nicely now that we have a house rented, the kids are in school and kindy and I've started work in Wellington city centre

Just one slight teething problem...... a front crown is about to fall out! I have a dentist's appointment tomorrow for which the painful part is going to be the fee. As a new patient they also want to do a consultation for up to one hour!

Anyone good with pliers? :(

luvwelly Feb 21st 2008 6:26 am

Re: Teething troubles.. literally

Originally Posted by turkeys (Post 5962632)
As a new patient they also want to do a consultation for up to one hour!
:(

My newish NZ dentist booked me an hour as well...unlike UK NHS 'hello, goodbye'....they actually may spend some time chatting to you and getting to know you a bit...this means you feel much better about the whole process as it is not a complete stranger putting sharp objects in your mouth :rofl:.

The check-up you get will likely be much more thorough as well including TMJ, oral cancer, bite, gum health checks, x-rays etc etc

OK you are right it may be more expensive but if that is the only painful bit as I think you implied....what's the big deal....it's not as expensive here as in Auckland in general from what I've heard.
Good luck - hope you enjoy your hour away from work.

Kiwiprincess Feb 21st 2008 9:16 pm

Not sure if you are completely fixed on a dentist yet, but i go to Symes de Silva (the building is on the corner of Courtenay Place and Taranaki Street) and I can totally recommend them. I don't want to recommend any dentist at the moment seeing as I have to get a toof filled shortly and will require an IV drip....but i can recommend them.

http://www.symesdesilva.co.nz/contact.htm

luvwelly Feb 21st 2008 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess (Post 5966388)
Not sure if you are completely fixed on a dentist yet, but i go to Symes de Silva (the building is on the corner of Courtenay Place and Taranaki Street) and I can totally recommend them. I don't want to recommend any dentist at the moment seeing as I have to get a toof filled shortly and will require an IV drip....but i can recommend them.

http://www.symesdesilva.co.nz/contact.htm

I have also heard that they are good and not too expensive at least for check-ups and x-rays.

turkeys Feb 21st 2008 10:13 pm

a drip! That sounds full on

Anyway I have just been to a dentist on the corner of Courtenay and Allen - Geoff Hunt practice
Had a wobbly front crown recemented but it is very likely to come undone again. The dentist also found 3 fillings one of which they reckon will be $1100!

Not sure if I will be revisiting!

turkeys Feb 21st 2008 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 5966480)
I have also heard that they are good and not too expensive at least for check-ups and x-rays.

yeah just checked their website - $55 for check up and x rays - less than a third of what I paid. Might go there for a second opinion on my crown
:D

Kiwiprincess Feb 21st 2008 10:31 pm

I think they have a policy of recommending practical and necessary (but not unnecessary cosmetic) work. Complete change to my previous dentists in both NZ and the UK who were seemingly obsessed with getting my teeth whitened. Yeah, at $2,000 no wonder...

Can't hurt to get a second opinion is my theory.

IV is solely because i am a complete wuss. i need to be in lala land for what i need done :(

luvwelly Feb 21st 2008 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess (Post 5966634)
Can't hurt to get a second opinion is my theory.

IV is solely because i am a complete wuss. i need to be in lala land for what i need done :(

Agree with Kiwiprincess that a second opinion is a good idea if you have doubts. $1100 is a lot for a single filling unless it is a root canal or something...why so expensive - did they say?...

Can't understand the obsession with whitening either...I mean who in their right mind would want to put bleach on their teeth?

dlmckay Feb 22nd 2008 1:21 am

$1100!!!! Ludicrous!!!

I've just had a crown fall out in my back molar - $40 yesterday to have a look at it, realise there were two cavaties in neighbouring teeth that the crown has thus far been hiding (always floss people!) and a temporary cap to keep the gumline back.

I'm booked in for an hour's appointment next week. I've been quoted $260 for two fillings and reset/reglue of the existing crown. Seems reasonable to me!

annbee Feb 27th 2008 7:15 am

Originally Posted by dlmckay (Post 5967141)
$1100!!!! Ludicrous!!!

I've just had a crown fall out in my back molar - $40 yesterday to have a look at it, realise there were two cavaties in neighbouring teeth that the crown has thus far been hiding (always floss people!) and a temporary cap to keep the gumline back.

I'm booked in for an hour's appointment next week. I've been quoted $260 for two fillings and reset/reglue of the existing crown. Seems reasonable to me!

Wow that is cheap, which dentist do you use:)

dlmckay Feb 27th 2008 11:09 pm

Right, I'm back from the dentist. I use Rex or Pat Kika at 177 Royal Road, Massey - 833 7597.

$240 in total for a temporary cover of the crownless tooth, back a week later to have the two fillings, removal of temporary cover, replacement of existing crown.

My mouth is numb and it's lunchtime - sometimes, life is very cruel :sneaky:

lardyl Feb 28th 2008 1:20 am

Originally Posted by dlmckay (Post 5992289)
Right, I'm back from the dentist. I use Rex or Pat Kika at 177 Royal Road, Massey - 833 7597.

$240 in total for a temporary cover of the crownless tooth, back a week later to have the two fillings, removal of temporary cover, replacement of existing crown.

My mouth is numb and it's lunchtime - sometimes, life is very cruel :sneaky:

thanks for the info!
looks like they are far more reasonable than the Aston Martin-driving tooth practitioners in Central Auckland - but it will still hurt! :thumbdown:

luvwelly Feb 28th 2008 10:01 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 5992591)
thanks for the info!
looks like they are far more reasonable than the Aston Martin-driving tooth practitioners in Central Auckland - but it will still hurt! :thumbdown:

It doesn't have to hurt at all...if you go to the right practitioners :thumbsup:....except financially of course but I expect you know that really :p. I know what I'm talking about..I survived 1960s NHS dentistry in the UK.......give me the 21st Century anyday.

dlmckay Feb 28th 2008 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 5992591)
thanks for the info!

I have to say that these two dentists are the most kind, patient and understanding pair that I've ever met (with the exception of one lady dentist in Walthamstow I used many moons ago). If you're as phobic as me, these two are worth visiting! :thumbsup:

kwprwn Feb 28th 2008 8:47 pm

I went to the dentist dlmackay recommended (its up the road from were I live) yesterday and had my filling done...he actually did it with no numbness and no pain, and cost me $100 for the filling, which in my mind was reasonable compared to the last time I paid $250 each for fillings

Highy recommend this guy and hes very patient and very good