Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Teeth!! - a warning

Teeth!! - a warning

Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of
Default Teeth!! - a warning

Just thought I'd share the latest update to our experiences in NZ.

OH lost a bit of tooth and went to have it looked at. The dentist said the root canal work done to the tooth in the UK was done really badly and said that seemed normal from UK imigrants.

The options provided for fixing the tooth were:

$1750 to cap it (porcelain cap)
$3500 Root canal work re-done and a cap
$5500 Implant (not quite sure what it meant)

OH was a little taken back when provided the choices so went for a second opinion.

Another dentist said any work to the tooth was probably a waste of money and recommended an extraction as the tooth was effectively dead and as it was a back tooth would not be noticable.

He also pointed out that OH had an abcess which was not picked up by the first inspection!

So extraction it is at $200

Moral of the story is, get your teeth sorted before you come over (done well if possible!) And if you have a problem when you get here expect to pay.

Oh and get a second opinion every time!!

Thought that might be worth sharing with you all....
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teeth!! - a warning

Originally Posted by dash1965
Just thought I'd share the latest update to our experiences in NZ.

OH lost a bit of tooth and went to have it looked at. The dentist said the root canal work done to the tooth in the UK was done really badly and said that seemed normal from UK imigrants.

The options provided for fixing the tooth were:

$1750 to cap it (porcelain cap)
$3500 Root canal work re-done and a cap
$5500 Implant (not quite sure what it meant)

OH was a little taken back when provided the choices so went for a second opinion.

Another dentist said any work to the tooth was probably a waste of money and recommended an extraction as the tooth was effectively dead and as it was a back tooth would not be noticable.

He also pointed out that OH had an abcess which was not picked up by the first inspection!

So extraction it is at $200

Moral of the story is, get your teeth sorted before you come over (done well if possible!) And if you have a problem when you get here expect to pay.

Oh and get a second opinion every time!!

Thought that might be worth sharing with you all....
Dentistry is SO expensive here. However I have found a great dentist in Rotorua. I had a filing that I had done years ago crack and an infection got in. Basically it need extracted, the pain was unbelievable, but he did a fine job redoing the filling, cost $108, however I couldn't get rid of the infection and as it really should have been a root canal job, in much pain I had it removed...... $60. Also no charge for anti-biotic scritps (other than pharmacy charge). Dentist had reccommended extraction in first place.
Moral....... listen to dentist in first place.

Gill
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

we had same experience with my kids teeth...

they have always had 6 month check ups faithfully with my dentiset back in scotland....

they have never needed anything done(apart from fissure sealant)my dentist told me there teeth were perfect and let know one tell you otherwise.....

after we had been here 6 months,took them for there check ups,dentist said my daughter needed 6 fillings......

needless to say never got them done,either my dentist is really bad back home(which i doubt) or they will say anything to get your money here...

definitely agree with getting a second opinion......jacky
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 4:57 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Cheaper to fly to Thailand, get all your teeth sorted, have a one week holiday...
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:08 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dash1965
Oh what a shame so he still lost the tooth....that wouldn't make me happy....given how we are all supposed to live until 100 now. He could still replace it with an implant once he's saved the money up.
There will always be a dentist in any country willing to extract a tooth rather than restore it, as you have to pay more for restorative work.

As the tooth had had a root canal previously and a piece had broken off, that would indicate to me that crowning it would have been appropriate once any abcess had been cleared up. Usually teeth are crowned after rct as they tend to become more brittle.

Agree with your moral of the story though - get checked before you come out and then find a reputable dentist. Cheapest is not best and Auckland seems to be a more expensive area than Wellington for dentists - as I live in Wellington!

Last edited by luvwelly; Feb 3rd 2008 at 7:05 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:18 am
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice

Originally Posted by happynz
Cheaper to fly to Thailand, get all your teeth sorted, have a one week holiday...

Totally agree with you there..
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:22 am
Forum Regular

dash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud ofdash1965 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Oh what a shame so he still lost the tooth....that wouldn't make me happy....given how long we are all supposed to live until 100 now. He could still replace it with an implant once he's saved the money up.
There will always be a dentist in any country willing to extract a tooth rather than restore it, as you have to pay more for restorative work.

As the tooth had had a root canal previously and a piece had broken off, that would indicate to me that crowning it would have been appropriate once any abcess had been cleared up. Usually teeth are crowned after rct as they tend to become more brittle.

Agree with your moral of the story though - get checked before you come out and then find a reputable dentist. Cheapest is not best and Auckland seems to be a more expensive area than Wellington for dentists - as I live in Wellington!
It was the missus tooth, but I agree with your comments...

I did see my new golf clubs savings fast disappearing though...

But I left the decision to her, and put no pressure on. Might try the Thailand option in the future as it is on the list to visit, or we may even travel to Wellington if it's much cheaper and make a long weekend out of it.

Cheers
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:48 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Yeah, had some dentist work done in Dec and asked the dentist why NZ dentists are sooooo expensive.

His response was that the rates are comparable with Canada and the USA

My response was:
But the NZ salaries are not, so how do you expect people to pay

The dental nurses’ response
Choke with laughter

Personally I think there is lots of Kiwi take your bucks attitude that they tend to conceal well.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 10:01 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

The significant difference being that people in both the USA and Canada have dental insurance to pay for it.

One of my kids was having orthodontic work in North Shore which was continued when we got over to Oz.....where we found out the brackets had been put on "by eye", one bracket was upside down, she'd never been recommended to have regular hygienist's visits neither had he checked her jaw for musclar problems (which she has and is quite common during orthodontic work) and didn't seem to have a treatment plan drawn-up.

Last edited by Nerine; Feb 3rd 2008 at 10:03 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:08 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nerine
The significant difference being that people in both the USA and Canada have dental insurance to pay for it.
Tens of millions of people in the US cannot afford basic medical insurance in the US, let alone dental insurance. I can't comment on Canada as I'm not Canadian and I don't know what their experience is.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 5:21 pm
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by happynz
Tens of millions of people in the US cannot afford basic medical insurance in the US, let alone dental insurance. I can't comment on Canada as I'm not Canadian and I don't know what their experience is.
Yeah, I watched Sicko on the plane and was an eye opener. Also showed how the UK nat health is open to abuse.
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Patrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to allPatrick2007 is a name known to all

Had this argument with my Kiwi relative about Doctors,Dentists etc it is absolute extorion and how they get away with it with such a small population God only knows. Ironically enough wasnt the N.H.S.pioneered in N.Z.?many moons ago......
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 7:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

I've just had a quote for a root canal $950, and a ceramic cap $1000.
Friend has just had his root canal done (different dentist) for $650, that was a back molar too. Not sure about the cap.
My dentist said she always finishes a root canal with a ceramic cap because the tooth becomes weak after the nerve has been removed and it wouldn't last long without it.

I have found the standard of dentistry in NZ to be better than that in the UK, where NHS dentists often did unnecessary work just to get the maximum payment from the system (my brother also agrees with this statement having suffered with a UK dentist).

Kip
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

From what I've read recently, free NHS dental treatment in the UK is pretty-well finished, as dentists aren't willing to take the work on.

And the prices quoted (in the article) for private dental work seemed to be on a par with what I pay in NZ.
Agree, wages are lower here, so relatively more expensive for treatment.

Kip
Old Feb 3rd 2008, 8:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kippers
I've just had a quote for a root canal $950, and a ceramic cap $1000.
Friend has just had his root canal done (different dentist) for $650, that was a back molar too. Not sure about the cap.
My dentist said she always finishes a root canal with a ceramic cap because the tooth becomes weak after the nerve has been removed and it wouldn't last long without it.

I have found the standard of dentistry in NZ to be better than that in the UK, where NHS dentists often did unnecessary work just to get the maximum payment from the system (my brother also agrees with this statement having suffered with a UK dentist).
Kip
I agree NHS dentistry uses inferior materials and that the 'best = most experienced' dentists are now mainly in the private sector especially in London. The quotes you have been given seem much more reasonable than the OP's. Maybe people in the large centres of population where there is no shortage of dentists, should shop around a bit more if not happy here. I've no complaints so far. I prefer to pay a decent rate for a check-up so there is less incentive to do unnecessary work, hence why I used to use a private dentist in UK also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.