Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Teenagers, schooling and life in NZ

Teenagers, schooling and life in NZ

Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:56 pm
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teenagers, schooling and life in NZ

Originally Posted by klicker
Hi, just have one question, does anybody know any info about Wellington high ?? My hubs is coming over in august and i will follow next year with the kids and am thinking that it might be a relly good school for my son, whos 15 by then ??!! thanx, s
Known for being quite liberal (good or a bad thing) but also quite open minded. Very large school - again, depends on whether you think that is a good or a bad thing.

Quite a large socioeconomic mix which again, can be good or bad.

However, personally i know of workmates who have sent their children there and the kids love it. According to my workmates the kids are encouraged to the nth degree and really expected to enjoy what they do. Also, because of the proximity to Massey University (as in, next door) they often have a lot of opportunities to do extra learning.

Oh, and the Principal is known for being very innovative apparently.

http://www.ero.govt.nz
Old Jun 24th 2008, 7:01 am
Forum Regular

donnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the rough

Just thought that I'd feedback on this question, as I know that there are people out there in a similar situation.

I spoke to one of the teachers at Rangiora High School last night who said that he didn't see a problem with a 16 year old coming into year 12 after sitting GCSEs in the UK. He said that this is very common and most have no problem at all when completing their NCEA level 2. In fact, he said that they expect a lot of new people coming in at that level next year.

D.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Brilliant!! Good luck to you let us know how she gets on!!!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by donnynz
Just thought that I'd feedback on this question, as I know that there are people out there in a similar situation.

I spoke to one of the teachers at Rangiora High School last night who said that he didn't see a problem with a 16 year old coming into year 12 after sitting GCSEs in the UK. He said that this is very common and most have no problem at all when completing their NCEA level 2. In fact, he said that they expect a lot of new people coming in at that level next year.

D.
I'm not sure I agree with the teacher. My daughter has come in at NCEA level 2 and although in the UK she was said to be extremely bright and in the top sets for all her subjects, she has found it difficult. It's not that the subjects are difficult, but the content is different and that a lot of this years work is based on the prior years study, so she has to work doubly hard. This is only my experience and view, but thought it worth noting.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

donnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by julesnye
I'm not sure I agree with the teacher. My daughter has come in at NCEA level 2 and although in the UK she was said to be extremely bright and in the top sets for all her subjects, she has found it difficult. It's not that the subjects are difficult, but the content is different and that a lot of this years work is based on the prior years study, so she has to work doubly hard. This is only my experience and view, but thought it worth noting.
Thanks for the heads-up julesnye. If you don't mind, what subjects did your daughter take and which ones is she struggling with the most?

Would you have dome things differently had you know this beforehand?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 9:01 pm
Banned

Assegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant futureAssegai has a brilliant future

Saw some Maori lad about 6'3'' and 18 stone in school uniform wearing grey flannel shorts, he looked ridiculous. I expect he was only about 14.

Talking to a 16 year old ex pat lad who went to a comp in Peterborough before emigrating to Wellington 2 years ago, and he said education and behaviour in Wellington was very poor compared to the UK. Couldn't believe it bearing in mind how much standards have slipped in Britain.

Only the messenger, so don't shoot me.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:55 pm
Forum Regular

hjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of lighthjmilligan is a glorious beacon of light

D.
HI,

My kids both go to Rangiora High 15 and 13yrs,there is alot of british kids at the school and my kids settled really well and made lots of friends.
My son (16 jan) says he will stay on till he is 18yrs so i am hoping thats a hint that he wants to go to uni

Good luck
Helen
Old Jun 25th 2008, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

julesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to beholdjulesnye is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the heads-up julesnye. If you don't mind, what subjects did your daughter take and which ones is she struggling with the most?
She took Spanish, German, English langauge& literature, Biology, physics (plus another science), Art, design, geography and Maths. there maybe a few others, but cant remember them.

I think it's mainly the sciences that seem to be so different.

Would you have dome things differently had you know this beforehand?
Maybe tried to find NZ revision books like the letts series to give a helping hand.
Old Jun 25th 2008, 9:29 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assegai
Saw some Maori lad about 6'3'' and 18 stone in school uniform wearing grey flannel shorts, he looked ridiculous. I expect he was only about 14.

Talking to a 16 year old ex pat lad who went to a comp in Peterborough before emigrating to Wellington 2 years ago, and he said education and behaviour in Wellington was very poor compared to the UK. Couldn't believe it bearing in mind how much standards have slipped in Britain.

Only the messenger, so don't shoot me.
Yes I found the 17 year old teenage boys in school shorts hilarious when I first arrived...don't even bat an eyelid now - it looks normal.
Wellington High is only decile 8 so you could definitely do worse but in the state sector in Wellington, the single sex schools seem to 'cream off' the aspirational/academic crowd.....personally I'd rather my kids were in a mixed school as real life is mixed allegedly .
Old Jun 25th 2008, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Yes I found the 17 year old teenage boys in school shorts hilarious when I first arrived...don't even bat an eyelid now - it looks normal.
Wellington High is only decile 8 so you could definitely do worse but in the state sector in Wellington, the single sex schools seem to 'cream off' the aspirational/academic crowd.....personally I'd rather my kids were in a mixed school as real life is mixed allegedly .
Thanks everyone. I have 16 year old twins - boy and girl. There's no way my lad will wear shorts and socks! Luckily, they are optional at Rangiora High School! However, the tartan skirts aren't!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 2:42 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks everyone. I have 16 year old twins - boy and girl. There's no way my lad will wear shorts and socks! Luckily, they are optional at Rangiora High School! However, the tartan skirts aren't!

I am sure he will look lovely in the tartan skirt. Much more comfortable than the shorts
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
I am sure he will look lovely in the tartan skirt. Much more comfortable than the shorts
He's 6ft 3, so it'd have to be one of the long ones!
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:31 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Bet ya he ends up wearing shorts like the rest of em
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

Don't forget the Jesus sandals too
Old Jun 26th 2008, 9:39 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

Our daughter hated the kilt when we first came. She loves it now and they all seem to wear their PJs underneath! They're so expensive tho (paid $220 for it to be made) so she has one new one that has to last her all the way through till end of school and one second-hand one ($45) but I have to say it is really good quality and the rest of the kids I know are in the same boat. And there's no stigma attached to buying second hand uniform, the schools seem to keep a stock of them that they sell on, on behalf of parents.

And yes, it is funny seeing near grown men wearing shorts, knee high socks and sporting dreds but when in Rome...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.