Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Teenagers, schooling and life in NZ

Teenagers, schooling and life in NZ

Old Jun 19th 2008, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

donnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the rough
Default Teenagers, schooling and life in NZ

Hi,

We're in the process of applying for residency (will know within the next couple of weeks whether or not we have our P/R visas).

We're looking at living in the Christchurch area (I was attracted by the YouTube vids posted earlier this week )

We have two 16 year old teenage children, who have just finished their GCSEs, so we're looking at them doing the A-Level equivalent in NZ. We just wondered if anyone on this board has taken kids of a similar age over there and how they found it? Was it easy to make new friends, was the schooling good etc.?

Any feedback or advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

D.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 8:22 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teenagers, schooling and life in NZ

Congrats on nearly getting PR. Our kids are a bit younger, 12 and 13 so don't really know about higher/tertiary education. Their school teaches age 5-18. But there's the University of Canterbury amongst others which seems vast and offers tons of diverse courses. I think lots of kids here do apprenticeships and diplomas. In fact most jobs we see advertised seem to ask for diploma quals.
11thousandmilesfromhome is in Cch and has a 16yr old - might be worth sending her a PM?
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:17 am
only love is real

clair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant futureclair73 has a brilliant future

Hi
Mine are a bit younger too but have both found it easy making friends, chch has a big english population now lol so that makes it easier, although my eldest thinks it is nice to have an english accent to attract the girls
I am sure they will make friends easily and there are plenty of colleges university to attend depending on what they want to study or go on to do.

Good Luck with Visa's will hold good energy for you
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by donnynz View Post
Hi,

We're in the process of applying for residency (will know within the next couple of weeks whether or not we have our P/R visas).

We're looking at living in the Christchurch area (I was attracted by the YouTube vids posted earlier this week )

We have two 16 year old teenage children, who have just finished their GCSEs, so we're looking at them doing the A-Level equivalent in NZ. We just wondered if anyone on this board has taken kids of a similar age over there and how they found it? Was it easy to make new friends, was the schooling good etc.?

Any feedback or advice welcome.

Thanks in advance.

D.
Our daughter completed her GCSE's in the UK, in June 2006. We moved to NZ in the September of that year and after discussions with the school we decided to send her for the start on the new school year (Year 12/6th form) in Jan/Feb 2007. After 4 weeks at school she decided she really hated it. We then enrolled her in a different school, who after looking at her GCSE results agreed that she should be in Year 13/7th form. She attended that school for 2 days! She really was not happy. I think we had left her too long out of school. It hasn't been doom and gloom though, she took a part time job as a Lifeguard and qualified as a Swimming Instructor (she absolutly hated the water in the UK) and has this year enrolled in a Degree in Business Management. They were perfectly happy to take her based on her GCSE results. So the phrase 'she'll be right', certainly is!

I would try and get them into school as soon as possible, or look at the local Polytechnics.

Liz
Old Jun 19th 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

That’s a pretty harsh time to force a school, life and curriculum change on some kids.

Syllabus is going to be way different and there's not much catch-up time.

Let them do their A levels in the UK its only 2 years
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

donnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the roughdonnynz is a jewel in the rough

Thanks all for you responses, they are much appreciated.

Hanging on for another 2 years isn't an option I'm afraid (due to other stuff).

We personally thought it would be a good time to do it after their GCSEs, as they will be moving to a different college in the UK to do their A levels anyway, but would be interested to know more about why it is a bad idea.

Ta.

D.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:15 am
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all

I guess it depends on what A level results you would be expecting and what Uni courses they would then want to go to..

If they have dreams fo 3 As and medical school then thats allways hard and new curriculum makes it all harder.

If its middle of the road then easier to change and catch up.

You'd also need to discuss with them what they want to study at uni and make sure you don't get done for overseas student fees
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:24 am
Forum Regular

Oh another thing

Seconday school in NZ goes 13-18 there's no real change of school for the last 2 years.

So you’re dropping them into a school with all the preformed cliques that exist.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 11:40 am
Forum Regular

I suppose the question is, in NZ, do they get a choice of which subjects they want do do between the ages of 17 & 18 (i.e. similar to UK A levels), or does the work just carry on from the previous years?

Thanks for your help.

D.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

CCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud ofCCGM.IN.NZ has much to be proud of

Hi donnynz. We moved here when our daughter was 15. In the UK she was just at the start of year 10. When we got here she did a couple of weeks in year 10 then finished for Christmas, so effectively she missed about 10 months of schooling! Feb 07 she started year 11, her GCSE year. She is in a school that teaches the International Cambridge course similar to UK GCSE and as the name suggests, internationally recognised qualifications.Took 5 GCSE's in Nov 07 and passed all of them. She is still in the same school, y12 now, studying her AS levels and will do A levels next year. In years 11, 12 and 13 they do get to choose before the begining of the year which subjects to take. She did have to work very hard to pass her exams, but she did it and was so proud of her achievements. She settled into school life really well and has made lots of new friends.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 12:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

We moved here 18 months ago with a 15 year old who was put into year 11 here (was in year 10 UK) She is now in year 12, she was 16 at Christmas. As far as I am aware some of the NCEA level 3's require prior exposure i.e level 2. My daughter wants to go to Uni so she plans to stay on next year she will be almost 18 when she leaves.

Beware socially its a really hard time to move them. I would say the first 6-12 months are harder than you could imagine but for us 18 months in and our daughter has settled so well. Its a real character building thing for them. Think hard what subjects she wants to do and visit the colleges/ polytechnics. Christchurch has a great poly.. Good luck!!!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:14 pm
Forum Regular

klicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
We moved here 18 months ago with a 15 year old who was put into year 11 here (was in year 10 UK) She is now in year 12, she was 16 at Christmas. As far as I am aware some of the NCEA level 3's require prior exposure i.e level 2. My daughter wants to go to Uni so she plans to stay on next year she will be almost 18 when she leaves.

Beware socially its a really hard time to move them. I would say the first 6-12 months are harder than you could imagine but for us 18 months in and our daughter has settled so well. Its a real character building thing for them. Think hard what subjects she wants to do and visit the colleges/ polytechnics. Christchurch has a great poly.. Good luck!!!
Hi, just have one question, does anybody know any info about Wellington high ?? My hubs is coming over in august and i will follow next year with the kids and am thinking that it might be a relly good school for my son, whos 15 by then ??!! thanx, s
Old Jun 19th 2008, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

I did a bit more Googling and found another site where a couple of people in more or less the exact same situation as me were advised by the NZ Qualification Authority (NZQA) not to have their children do the next two years of NCEA's, but to do a foundation course instead, with a view of gaining entry to University with that.

Anyone else heard of this route? I suppose fees will be involved?

Klicker, any chance you can start a new thread on your question about Wellington high please? Ta.

D.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

klicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant futureklicker has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by klicker View Post
Hi, just have one question, does anybody know any info about Wellington high ?? My hubs is coming over in august and i will follow next year with the kids and am thinking that it might be a relly good school for my son, whos 15 by then ??!! thanx, s
SO SORRY D !!!!!!
Old Jun 19th 2008, 10:51 pm
Forum Regular

No probs! Just had some good news. My PR visas have been approved. Now I just need to flap about my kids' education

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.