Teenagers

Old Mar 7th 2007, 2:50 am
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of
Default Teenagers

Are there any Expats out there who are sick of trying to get there teenagers 'out there'. My lad is doing my head in about wanting to go home all the time. Any teenagers lads wanting to meet other expat kids around 14 years PLEEEEEEASE get in touch.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 7:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Teenagers

Originally Posted by Maz1 View Post
Are there any Expats out there who are sick of trying to get there teenagers 'out there'. My lad is doing my head in about wanting to go home all the time. Any teenagers lads wanting to meet other expat kids around 14 years PLEEEEEEASE get in touch.
Hi Maz1
where abouts are you? Were on the North Shore. Ive got a 14 yr old son and a 13 year old daughter. Neither want to go home but im sure my son would like to meet some lads his age.
Carole
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:55 am

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Really sorry to hear your son's not liking it and wants to come back to the uk.

My eldest daughter who's 15 has already told me that if we get out to NZ she'll be moving back as soon as she's old enough...and that's without giving the country a go. Bloody kids

take care and hope he settles down soon
Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:49 am
Account Closed

eileen35 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mandie.H View Post
Really sorry to hear your son's not liking it and wants to come back to the uk.

My eldest daughter who's 15 has already told me that if we get out to NZ she'll be moving back as soon as she's old enough...and that's without giving the country a go. Bloody kids

take care and hope he settles down soon
hi there,
my 15 yrolds the same,planning the journey home when shes 18.
we are dreading that she might spoil it for us.
what gets me was when we mentioned last year about going,shes all bragging to her mates,and excited.
now its doom and gloom.
grr teens.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by eileen35 View Post
hi there,
my 15 yrolds the same,planning the journey home when shes 18.
we are dreading that she might spoil it for us.
what gets me was when we mentioned last year about going,shes all bragging to her mates,and excited.
now its doom and gloom.
grr teens.
which area are you planning on heading to?
Old Mar 7th 2007, 11:03 am
Account Closed

hi mandie,
we are heading to south island,had been thinking mainly chch,but have just read some good reports about blenhem<dodgy spelling i think.
we are still at the changing minds every day stage about which area.
though at least we are set on south,only took us year to decide on that one.
what about yourselves?
Old Mar 7th 2007, 11:34 am

Hi we'll be going to christchurch the same as Maz1, well that's as soon as my husband agrees to going, i've got a job there so he'd better hurry up and make his mind up.

PM me if you'd like my daughter to make contact with your's.

Maz1, i know we're not there yet but i'm sure Connie (15) would be an email buddy to your son, PM me if you want and i'll send you her details.

take care
Old Mar 7th 2007, 11:39 am
Account Closed

cheers mandie,
pm coming your way.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

Maz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud ofMaz1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Spacecake799 View Post
Hi Maz1
where abouts are you? Were on the North Shore. Ive got a 14 yr old son and a 13 year old daughter. Neither want to go home but im sure my son would like to meet some lads his age.
Carole
We're in Riccarton, Christchurch. He has settled in school, but just bored on the evenings (after school). He has joined a soccer club, but that is only on Thurs nights. And I know there are loads of other clubs to join but he has always been surrounded by his mates. Bless him, I know he is up in the air at the mo, but I cant help feeling sorry for him!! Thats what gets me down. I have also got an 11 year old daughter. She has just come back from camp and she is going to a sleepover this weekend. Again it would be lovely for either of them to 'get out more'. You dont seem to see many kids playing out. I am now looking into areas were more kids are situated, so any suggestions on areas would be more than welcome.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 9:56 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

We're in Riccarton, Christchurch. He has settled in school, but just bored on the evenings (after school). He has joined a soccer club, but that is only on Thurs nights. And I know there are loads of other clubs to join but he has always been surrounded by his mates. Bless him, I know he is up in the air at the mo, but I cant help feeling sorry for him!! Thats what gets me down. I have also got an 11 year old daughter. She has just come back from camp and she is going to a sleepover this weekend. Again it would be lovely for either of them to 'get out more'. You dont seem to see many kids playing out. I am now looking into areas were more kids are situated, so any suggestions on areas would be more than welcome.
Maz, get them over to St Albans. We are in the house now, even though it is in uproar, we wouldn't mind you coming over in the eve. We can have a coffee and your boy can 'play' with my 14 and 16 yr olds and your daughter can play with my 8 yr old....you've got my number!!! Sue
Old Mar 7th 2007, 10:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Winnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud ofWinnie has much to be proud of

Its really hard for teenagers and the parents as in what to do for them. When we came out here my twin daughters were 16. One stayed in the UK cos she'd 'fallen in love'. The other one came with us but wouldn't give it a chance, spent all her time on the phone or internet to her friends in the UK or watching tv all day, moaning about going home. So, we did a brave thing and sent her home! She's now come back after 12 months and realised there was nothing in the UK for her. She's started polytechnic (college) and enjoying the course. She's still finding it hard to find friends, most of the friends she has are my work collegues kids who are expats. But.........she's making an effort and seems to be settling in ok.
As for your problem, there's no easy answers. Encourage them to join clubs, invite friends round, even have a party for them And at the end of it all, if they still want to go back to the Uk when they are old enough, let them. Making them stay will only make them resent you, and with a bit of luck they'll realise just what they are missing in NZ and return.
Old Mar 7th 2007, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
Its really hard for teenagers and the parents as in what to do for them. When we came out here my twin daughters were 16. One stayed in the UK cos she'd 'fallen in love'. The other one came with us but wouldn't give it a chance, spent all her time on the phone or internet to her friends in the UK or watching tv all day, moaning about going home. So, we did a brave thing and sent her home! She's now come back after 12 months and realised there was nothing in the UK for her. She's started polytechnic (college) and enjoying the course. She's still finding it hard to find friends, most of the friends she has are my work collegues kids who are expats. But.........she's making an effort and seems to be settling in ok.
As for your problem, there's no easy answers. Encourage them to join clubs, invite friends round, even have a party for them And at the end of it all, if they still want to go back to the Uk when they are old enough, let them. Making them stay will only make them resent you, and with a bit of luck they'll realise just what they are missing in NZ and return.
Thats so true what you are saying about resentment. Time will tell I suppose. Thanks for the support.
Old Mar 8th 2007, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Jasmic will become famous soon enough

Is there anyone out there with 16-17 year olds in Rotorua? We will be out there end of June and have a 16 year old boy.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 2:27 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

It's hard uprooting kids at that age, they're almost adults and their lives are fast becoming their own, it's difficult for them to settle and make a move that wasn't their choice to make in the first place. To be honest NZ is more geared up towards younger children anyway; I talk to undergrads at Massey and they can't wait to graduate and leave NZ.

We've a young teen and a pre-teen and know that realistically speaking this is probably the last year that we can move them without having a seriously bad effect on both their education and probably their social lives. Kids who are really into sport in a big way find it easier if they can get into teams and feel part of something bigger than themselves. it keeps them out of trouble too.

Other than sport there's not much going for older teens in NZ, IMO this country offers them less than the UK does at this age, BUT that's only my opinion and all kids are different.
Old Mar 9th 2007, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine View Post

Other than sport there's not much going for older teens in NZ, IMO this country offers them less than the UK does at this age, BUT that's only my opinion and all kids are different.

I completely agree. I don't have children myself, but I know when I
was a teenager, I became more aware of the possibilies of life, and I
don't mean materialistic things! I think perceptive, intelligent children need
more than sports to fill their days. I know there are outdoor activities
to do in NZ, but unless your child wants to become an avid naturalist specializing in the unique flora and fauna of NZ, there really isn't anything
here in NZ that cannot be had, and better, elsewhere.

Recently, while I was watching the video of Michael Palin's "Around the World in Eighty Days" I realized he said something that could very easily apply to NZ, but he was referring to his first few days in Egypt:

"What, in Europe, had been problems to solve, in Egypt became limitations to accept."

By the way, especially at the turn of the century, NZ was one of the most
deforested countries in the world, and most of all it's unique critters have
gone extinct, or are near extinction. So even the avid naturalist will find
a hike in the bush interesting in a way, but oddly devoid of life, comparatively speaking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.