British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Teenage daughter & exams (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/teenage-daughter-exams-397105/)

debs2 Sep 17th 2006 9:02 pm

Teenage daughter & exams

We're hoping to make the move next year to Hamilton, but I'm not sure how my daughter (she'll be 15 when we go) will settle into a new school with coursework and exams.

If any parents out there have had this dilema I would really appreciate it if you could let me know the outcome.

Herm Sep 19th 2006 9:09 am

Re: Teenage daughter & exams

Originally Posted by debs2
We're hoping to make the move next year to Hamilton, but I'm not sure how my daughter (she'll be 15 when we go) will settle into a new school with coursework and exams.

If any parents out there have had this dilema I would really appreciate it if you could let me know the outcome.

When we moved our son was 15 and daughter 14. There was no dilema for us - we just did it. You might say what uncaring parents but have always worked on the principle that all things will work out in the end and that children are far more adaptable than their parents. Seriously though the kids did not really struggle. They found that they were ahead in some subjects and behind in others but it all got ironed out over the first six months or so. Also a fair chunk of the exams here (NCEA levels 1 through 3) are internally assesed with prompt feedback and you can quickly identify any real problem areas.

Cheers

debs2 Sep 21st 2006 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by Herm
When we moved our son was 15 and daughter 14. There was no dilema for us - we just did it. You might say what uncaring parents but have always worked on the principle that all things will work out in the end and that children are far more adaptable than their parents. Seriously though the kids did not really struggle. They found that they were ahead in some subjects and behind in others but it all got ironed out over the first six months or so. Also a fair chunk of the exams here (NCEA levels 1 through 3) are internally assesed with prompt feedback and you can quickly identify any real problem areas.

Cheers

Thanks for the feedback, it's put my mind at rest (well for now anyway).

Going to get the ball rolling next month, so hopefully we will be out there late next year (fingers crossed).

Thanks again

Pompey_Paul Sep 21st 2006 1:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback, it's put my mind at rest (well for now anyway).

Going to get the ball rolling next month, so hopefully we will be out there late next year (fingers crossed).

Thanks again

you might want to look into where NZ exams are recognised and where they are not......could be key to what your children are planning in the future...uni etc

good luck

Am Loolah Sep 21st 2006 7:41 pm

Hi Debs,

How does she feel about the move? We're moving our 14 year old who has just started her GCSE coursework and she's pretty unimpressed at the idea! There are lots of similiar threads further back which might be worth you trawling through and having a look at.

The basic gist is that because the NZ school year starts after their long Summer hols (End Jan beginning Feb) you'll choose as to whether she repeats the terms before or moves up a year? The general consensus on here leans towards repeating the term(s) already done so that they've got that head start whilst they re-settle and also are with their own age group?

Where are you hoping to settle?

Caroline

debs2 Sep 22nd 2006 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hi Debs,

How does she feel about the move? We're moving our 14 year old who has just started her GCSE coursework and she's pretty unimpressed at the idea! There are lots of similiar threads further back which might be worth you trawling through and having a look at.

The basic gist is that because the NZ school year starts after their long Summer hols (End Jan beginning Feb) you'll choose as to whether she repeats the terms before or moves up a year? The general consensus on here leans towards repeating the term(s) already done so that they've got that head start whilst they re-settle and also are with their own age group?

Where are you hoping to settle?

Caroline

Hi Caroline

My daughters in the same boat as yours, she's just started her coursework for her GCSE's as well and like your daughter she's not impressed either (sounds like they could get on well).

We're hoping to move to somewhere just outside Hamilton, as yet though we're still searching for the ideal location.

Have you found somewhere to settle yet?

Cheers for the advice about schooling.

Debs

debs2 Sep 22nd 2006 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Pompey_Paul
you might want to look into where NZ exams are recognised and where they are not......could be key to what your children are planning in the future...uni etc

good luck

Thanks for the advice paul.

Will try to find out what she wants to do with her life, but she's at that age where she dosen't know!

Thanks again

Debs

Frenchy Sep 22nd 2006 9:14 pm

Hi there,
We are off to Blenheim as soon as I can get this house sold!! :rolleyes:
My daughter will be 15 at christmas so she has just started her GCSE pathway.
Whilst it may not seem an ideal time to move, its now or never before the teenage romance stage starts.!. It seems the choice is to go back to year 10 or up to year 11, depends how bright she is and/or how hard she wants to work. Hope all goes well for you! :)